F7A Military Hornet UPGRADE

XeoniX

So from the looks of it, you WILL be able to acquire a full Mil-Spec F7-A in-game, and that this 'upgrade' is just one of the first 'steps' in heading in that direction.

No, that's not entirely correct. A full military spec Hornet F7A contains equipment that is removed in the civilian version. Applying the F7A Upgrade will change the civilian version to be more similar to the military version, but not quite. The military would never allow you to buy a full mil-spec fighter in the civilian market. That doesn't mean you can't acquire it in the game though unofficial channels.

What you will be able to get easily in game, is a civilian F7A Hornet.

The "letter" you quoted above is strange.  It has a tone to it that's very hostile towards CIG.

All of the info the sender says was not available at the launch was actually available, and have been all the time since then.

Also I'd like to point out that as with everything with this game, it's subject to change, as we've seen time and time again in the past nothing is set-in-concrete.

Indeed. :)

Just to fan the flames of confusion even more there's this little nugget of info from this thread It's from the second quote box on the OP.

I'm on my tablet (can't post images easily) but got a confirmation from BEN on concierge that the $20 F7A Upgrade was the first step on the path to Mil Spec. 
He confirmed that although it can't fit a class 4 power plant off the bat it will allow you to buy a housing/frame upgrade that fits the F7A base frame. This can then fit a class 4 power plant.

Not sure how many steps it will be or how many quests/faction/credits it will take but a F7A-M appears to be possible.

[Feel free to report this post, I will update with a screen grab tomorrow morning from my desktop].

You will be able to tell this is a true by the fact that my account is not banned. Lying about a dev's quote is an auto BAN as we saw last week.

It's contradicts that the upgrade kit is a body kit that just changes the silhouette, however the person who claimed this wasn't able to verify it with a screen shot so probably just a load of old hokum. Which would be a shame as ideally this is how I'd love to see the F7A kit work. I wouldn't want it as something that instantly changed a Hornet into a F7A, but if it gave me the starting point and then I had to go hunting for the parts like a housing frame upgrade and such then that'd be pretty cool and definitely give me something to do and work towards in game.

The only reason I went with the SH was for the ability to fit a size 4 power plant, don't care about the second seat at all as it adds extra mass and length. 

Just to fan the flames of confusion even more there's this little nugget of info from this thread It's from the second quote box on the OP.

It's contradicts that the upgrade kit is a body kit that just changes the silhouette, however the person who claimed this wasn't able to verify it with a screen shot so probably just a load of old hokum. Which would be a shame as ideally this is how I'd love to see the F7A kit work. I wouldn't want it as something that instantly changed a Hornet into a F7A, but if it gave me the starting point and then I had to go hunting for the parts like a housing frame upgrade and such then that'd be pretty cool and definitely give me something to do and work towards in game.

The only reason I went with the SH was for the ability to fit a size 4 power plant, don't care about the second seat at all as it adds extra mass and length. 

I thought I already basically said the same thing in my last post (minus the Pic):

So from the looks of it, you will be able to acquire a full Mil-Spec F7-A in-game, and that this 'upgrade' is just one of the first 'steps' in heading in that direction.

A shortened route would be to apply the F7-A 'Upgrade' to a F7C-M (Super Hornet) as you'll already have the Ball turret, Size 4 Power plant and the Canard turret.

Although also on the F7C-M with the F7-A 'upgrade' applied would just be missing the 2x S1 Hardpoints, propulsion HMX 4.4 engine (F7-M = HMX 4.3), but the F7-M comes standard with a Jump Drive.

• 1 year later...

Another Ben quote 

Posted: 2:43AM

VoA | VoA said:

Yes but Ben has mentioned that it can be more than just a different paint job and skin / or silhouette change. Applying the upgrade would not give you mil-spec components but instead would give you access to put them on. However I have also heard him say earlier .... that it is just a paint job (but that produced an uproar on the forums and thus his new statement). Don't think it is locked down either way.

I don't have an F7A upgrade myself - but maybe CIG is not allowing people to apply them yet to a base Hornet if they do have one (until they lock it down).... = maybe it isn't implemented yet.

Note the Claification below doesn't impact the option to aquire mil-spec components that maybe added to an F7A (again this hasn't been definitive but this is what Ben mentioned on RTV before)

UPGRADE CLARIFICATIONS
To answer several common questions about the F7A upgrade:

The F7A upgrade does not change the base stats of the Hornet. It does not activate additional hardpoints or engine capacity. There will be an impact from the change in fuselage, as the silhouette of the ship will be altered.
The F7A upgrade does not remove the second seat from users who have purchased a Super Hornet.

Allowing a different kind of upgrade is not the same as giving it new hardpoints.
Ben did write more than a year back that they had considered to make the F7A conversion kit the first step in a process to turn an F7C into an A so it could eventually lead to a change in hardpoints but we got nothing solid about it, that is beyond the source below:

hA9CQAT.png?1
This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

But things changes so who knows at this point.

BTW, since we are talking about the F7A kit here's a bit of lore about it. The F7A kit was made by Consolidated Outland.

Consolidated finally hit it big with the more crowd-pleasing aftermarket F7A Hornet kit, which converts the appearance (but not the hardpoints) of civilian Anvil Hornet fighters to match their military counterparts. With the launch of the Mustang, manufacturing of F7A conversion kits has ceased (although the kits are still readily available). Whether this has to do with a desire to focus on Mustang development or to rumors that the conversion kits were in no way licensed through proper channels at Anvil is anyone’s guess.

Source

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, VoA said:

See not my previous post - but the one before that...

I saw that but the lore states that the kits were for Aesthetics only. I guess its one of those CIG "We'll figure out the details once we have sold 10,000 of them."

2 hours ago, faquarl25 said:

I saw that but the lore states that the kits were for Aesthetics only. I guess its one of those CIG "We'll figure out the details once we have sold 10,000 of them."

See below 

Ben did write more than a year back that they had considered to make the F7A conversion kit the first step in a process to turn an F7C into an A so it could eventually lead to a change in hardpoints but we got nothing solid about it, that is beyond the source below:

hA9CQAT.png?1

14 hours ago, faquarl25 said:

There was a lot of conflicting information about what the F7A conversion kits did, right from the beginning. I remember that it took Ben Lesnick three or four tries before he clarified what the hell F7A kits did. At the time, he said that kits were mainly aesthetic, modifying the F7C's appearance to that of a F7A. He did say that the F7C's factory components and stats would be unchanged, but he also said that the F7A conversion kit unlocked the Hornet's potential to be upgraded like a F7A Military Hornet. For example, the F7C Civilian Hornet has a maximum size power plant of size 3, whereas the F7A Military Hornet (and F7C-M Super Hornet) has a maximum size power plant of size 4. According to BL, the F7A conversion kit would increase the F7C's max power plant size to 4, but it wouldn't upgrade the F7C's factory power plant to the military power plant -- the player would have to buy that on their own. Also, the F7A has two Size2 fixed hardpoints in the nose for Neutron Guns, and the wing hardpoints are Size 4, allowing for gimballed Gallenson gatling guns; supposedly the F7A conversion kit would add the nose hardpoints and increase the wing hardpoints to size 4 -- but wouldn't provide the guns.

13 hours ago, CheeseNorris said:

I'd be gratefull if they actually increased stats on it lol

That's supposedly what the F7A conversion kit does, without actually providing the military hardware.

11 hours ago, VoA said:
See below 

hA9CQAT.png?1

Yes, this was what I was referring to. Unfortunately, it's ambiguously worded. There's no real commitment that this will actually happen. So maybe CIG will allow the F7C Civilian Hornet to use the F7A conversion kit to unlock its full potential, enabling players to install up to a Size 4 power plant, and equip more guns and larger guns on the wings. Or, CIG could decide the F7A kit is purely cosmetic, and doesn't affect the Hornet's stats at all. Time will tell.

Regardless, I'm glad I bought 3 F7A kits when I had the chance. I can always sell the ones I don't use. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/29/2016 at 6:01 AM, Nova-Prime said:

More FYI stuff a lot of us are aware off at this point.  PROXUS was recently hired on with CiG for those that are curious who he is.

CPp_Ivx_U.jpg

Great news and confirmation of what a lot of us were wondering on that upgrade.  I've been hanging onto one of the F7A upgrades since they sold it years ago, and have been wondering if it would apply to my F7C-M Super Hornet in the same way.

Yeah @Buckaroo. They actually said all this on an RTV with Ben and Jarod back when they did questions. So it is a thing, but they want everyone to be clear that it's COSMETIC!  Which some folks still can't comprehend. I wish I new about SC when they had the Veterans Day sale of the FC-A "body Kit" myself. Hopefully they sell it again in the future. Don't see why they wouldn't since their Citizen count grew exponentially since 2013. 

15 hours ago, Nova-Prime said:

Yeah @Buckaroo. They actually said all this on an RTV with Ben and Jarod back when they did questions. So it is a thing, but they want everyone to be clear that it's COSMETIC!  Which some folks still can't comprehend....

Technically it isn't just cosmetic, since it will be changing the thruster placement/ ships handling but hey what ever floats your boat.

Also if your looking to get as close to a Mil-Spec hornet as possible, in regards to P.Plant, Hard Points etc WAIT and ONLY apply the F7A-Kit to a Super Hornet, the only thing lacking will be the Main Thruster being a 4.3 vs a 4.4, but you get a jump drive instead.

As far as other components go (CPU,Power Gen, F.field,etc) you can upgrade them, I'm sure there will be plenty of black marketed F7A parts out there in the 'verse being sold from/ out the back of less then reputable stores. (good luck insuring them though)