F7A Military Hornet UPGRADE

XeoniX

They released it on november 11th 2013, as a promotion for veterans day in america.  I don't know if it will be released agian.  I have a few copies, I am sure other people do to.  As of now you cant actually apply it, and it has been said that it is just a model-skin change from the standard f7c.  They chose not to release it this year.

The F7c is really nice, I wouldn't sweat it.

Yea, its not the actual F7A, as for acquiring the F7A in the PU, you will be able to acquire one, however I'm thinking you'll either have to steal one, or acquire one on the black market, or it could be a rep thing with the UEE. However, its been dropped a few times by CR himself during talks about the SQ42, that at the end you 'could possibly' and I repeat 'possibly' scarfer off with an F7A, however it would probably give you an instant negative rep with the UEE, you'd essentially become a Traitor at that point.

Think its even a slight model change as well, since the F7A does have slight differences with the F7C

Yeah, my understanding from CIG posts about the upgrade was that it was a little more than a skin.  It would give the appearance of the f7a and very slightly change hull geometry/center of balance of the ship making it handle slightly different than the stock f7c.  Wish they'd chosen a different word than "upgrade" though, since even now on the RSI forums there are a ton of people who think it changes the f7c into an f7a, including changing the max hardpoint/component sizes.  Still plenty of f7c owners who think they'll be able to fit a size 4 power plant.

Yeah, my understanding from CIG posts about the upgrade was that it was a little more than a skin.  It would give the appearance of the f7a and very slightly change hull geometry/center of balance of the ship making it handle slightly different than the stock f7c.  Wish they'd chosen a different word than "upgrade" though, since even now on the RSI forums there are a ton of people who think it changes the f7c into an f7a, including changing the max hardpoint/component sizes.  Still plenty of f7c owners who think they'll be able to fit a size 4 power plant.

Yeah I saw that on CIG forums and chat. If they don't release that asap people will think that's update the hole ship from F7C to F7A

Yeah there are definitely some confused individuals out there who think it is more than a skin. Hopefully people don't get too worked up when they realize it isn't.

Oh, they'll go ape -shit, and I'll be there to watch, popcorn bucket in hand.  Seriously though, as much as I wish they hadn't used the word, buyers really don't have any excuse to freak out since the info is readily available.  hell, every forum thread ever made about the upgrade has stated/linked the truth.

Yeah there are definitely some confused individuals out there who think it is more than a skin. Hopefully people don't get too worked up when they realize it isn't.

"This is more than a skin; in the game world, it’s an after-market fuselage update kit; we’ll be updating the whole geometry of the ship."

Source: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13366-Veterans-Day-Hornet-Upgrade-Offer

"This is more than a skin; in the game world, it’s an after-market fuselage update kit; we’ll be updating the whole geometry of the ship."

Source: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13366-Veterans-Day-Hornet-Upgrade-Offer

Yes, but the changes are to the cosmetics and handling(weight distribution), so while it isn't "just" a skin, its effect is less than many interested parties hope it to be.  It may change an f7c into an f7a in appearance, weight, hitbox size/location(for damage states), but fundamentally it will never be anything but a slightly different shaped f7c.  

Hey i just found this bit of info on Reddit pertaining to the upgrade. i cant verify its authenticity, so take it for what its worth. the person in question who asked Ben these questions is named "dealer-dog" on reddit.

Last night I received a reply from Ben to my questions regarding the F7A kit, and as promised I will share the answers:

F7C + F7A upgrade

Is the upgrade covered by the ship's LTI?
Ben: Yes.

Is the armor increased (if yes, how much in relation to the F7A)?
Ben: Yes, but we have not specified any armor amounts yet.

Is the mass increased (if yes, how much)?
Ben: Yes, but we have not specified the mass of the finished military Hornet yet.

Does it allow a max size 4 power plant?
Ben: No.

Does it change the number of upgrade slots?

and -

Does a F7C Hornet (including Ghost, Recon, and Super variants) with the F7A upgrade pack applied to it allow players to ultimately create a Hornet that is in some way superior to those same craft without the F7A upgrade pack?

Yes, the upgrade pack will alter the armor, silhouette, thruster placement, etc. of the base Hornet.

Does a F7C Hornet (including Ghost, Recon, and Super variants) with the F7A upgrade pack applied to it allow players to ultimately create a Hornet that is in some way inferior to those same craft without the F7A upgrade pack?

We are still balancing, but the increased armor on the military Hornet will likely decrease the speed of the base model.

Can the paint job (texture skin) on a Hornet with the F7A upgrade pack applied to it be altered to no longer have the same paint scheme as the F7A?

Yes.

Does the F7A upgrade pack tie up any sort of slot (e.g. upgrade slot) when in use?

No.

Can the F7A upgrade pack be removed from and/or reapplied to a Hornet by the player in-game?

Yes.

Since applying the F7A upgrade pack to the Super Hornet does not remove the Super Hornet's second seat, is there a military version of the F7A Hornet that (like the Super Hornet) is a two-seater?

If there is a two-seater variant of the F7A military Hornet, is the fuselage shaped differently than the Super Hornet? If so, in what way?

The Super Hornet appears to have a longer wingspan than the F7A. Does a Super Hornet with an F7A upgrade pack applied to it have shorter wingers than a Super Hornet without the F7A upgrade pack? Or does the wingspan remain unchanged?

The Super Hornet seems to have advantages over a standard F7C (e.g. power plant). Does a Super Hornet with the F7A upgrade repack retain those advantages over a standard F7C that has been modified with the F7A upgrade pack?

We're talking about this now - it hasn't been decided yet. All changes to the Super Hornet (better powerplant, etc.) will still be present with the body kit upgrade.

Is this Veteran's Day offer the only way to get an F7A upgrade pack? Or will the same package be available through in-game means?

It will be available in-game.

Can the F7A upgrade pack be purchased even if you don't yet own a Hornet, and then stored and later applied to a Hornet purchased in-game through credits?

Yes it can.

Hey i just found this bit of info on Reddit pertaining to the upgrade. i cant variety its authenticity, so take it for what its worth. the person in question who asked Ben these questions is named "dealer-dog" on reddit.

Last night I received a reply from Ben to my questions regarding the F7A kit, and as promised I will share the answers:

F7C + F7A upgrade

Is the upgrade covered by the ship's LTI?

Ben: Yes.

Is the armor increased (if yes, how much in relation to the F7A)?

Ben: Yes, but we have not specified any armor amounts yet.

Is the mass increased (if yes, how much)?

Ben: Yes, but we have not specified the mass of the finished military Hornet yet.

Does it allow a max size 4 power plant?

Does it change the number of upgrade slots?

and -

Does a F7C Hornet (including Ghost, Recon, and Super variants) with the F7A upgrade pack applied to it allow players to ultimately create a Hornet that is in some way superior to those same craft without the F7A upgrade pack?

Yes, the upgrade pack will alter the armor, silhouette, thruster placement, etc. of the base Hornet.

Does a F7C Hornet (including Ghost, Recon, and Super variants) with the F7A upgrade pack applied to it allow players to ultimately create a Hornet that is in some way inferior to those same craft without the F7A upgrade pack?

We are still balancing, but the increased armor on the military Hornet will likely decrease the speed of the base model.

Can the paint job (texture skin) on a Hornet with the F7A upgrade pack applied to it be altered to no longer have the same paint scheme as the F7A?

Yes.

Does the F7A upgrade pack tie up any sort of slot (e.g. upgrade slot) when in use?

No.

Can the F7A upgrade pack be removed from and/or reapplied to a Hornet by the player in-game?

Yes.

Since applying the F7A upgrade pack to the Super Hornet does not remove the Super Hornet's second seat, is there a military version of the F7A Hornet that (like the Super Hornet) is a two-seater?

If there is a two-seater variant of the F7A military Hornet, is the fuselage shaped differently than the Super Hornet? If so, in what way?

The Super Hornet appears to have a longer wingspan than the F7A. Does a Super Hornet with an F7A upgrade pack applied to it have shorter wingers than a Super Hornet without the F7A upgrade pack? Or does the wingspan remain unchanged?

The Super Hornet seems to have advantages over a standard F7C (e.g. power plant). Does a Super Hornet with the F7A upgrade repack retain those advantages over a standard F7C that has been modified with the F7A upgrade pack?

We're talking about this now - it hasn't been decided yet. All changes to the Super Hornet (better powerplant, etc.) will still be present with the body kit upgrade.

Is this Veteran's Day offer the only way to get an F7A upgrade pack? Or will the same package be available through in-game means?

It will be available in-game.

Can the F7A upgrade pack be purchased even if you don't yet own a Hornet, and then stored and later applied to a Hornet purchased in-game through credits?

Yes it can.

I've seen Ben's answers to all of these questions before, but this is the first time I ahve seen anything regarding armor protection...interesting.

Oh, they'll go ape -shit, and I'll be there to watch, popcorn bucket in hand.  Seriously though, as much as I wish they hadn't used the word, buyers really don't have any excuse to freak out since the info is readily available.  hell, every forum thread ever made about the upgrade has stated/linked the truth.

Maybe we can agree now that it's more than a skin - and not characterize other people as "confused individuals" or "go ape-shit" or "freak out"? That sort of language isn't very constructive in a forum, especially when you're wrong about the facts.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13366-Veterans-Day-Hornet-Upgrade-Offer

UPGRADE CLARIFICATIONS

To answer several common questions about the F7A upgrade:

• The F7A upgrade does not change the base stats of the Hornet. It does not activate additional hardpoints or engine capacity. There will be an impact from the change in fuselage, as the silhouette of the ship will be altered.
  • The F7A upgrade does not remove the second seat from users who have purchased a Super Hornet.

THis was from when it was sold back in the day... also they said this would make it easier to upgrade to a  military  version of the hornet (if you can get the parts)...

where as normal skins will mostly just be a color scheme 

But this could all change :)

• 1 month later...

My only regret is that I only got one of these instead of the half dozen I need. I hope this isn't too expensive an upgrade in the PU.

Half a dozen?!

I do not see why you'd need half a dozen, four, yes, half a dozen, no. I've got 4 for my Idris's fleet.

Also in a pointed form rather then searching the 55 pages yourselves: (the Picture is the link to the post)

PEgLpNC.jpg

So from the looks of it, you WILL be able to acquire a full Mil-Spec F7-A in-game, and that this 'upgrade' is just one of the first 'steps' in heading in that direction.

A shortened route would be to apply the F7-A 'Upgrade' to a F7M (Super Hornet) as you'll already have the Ball turret, Size 4 Power plant and the Canard turret.