Updated Ship Size Comparison Chart

VoA

CIG Ben Lesnickwcloaf

Posted: -

Hey guys! Thought you might like a couple of holoviewer screenshots from the team at Turbulent. These compare the size of the Reclaimer to the M50 and the Constellation!

Some reddit people took the models from the holoviewer into an model editor program and got this;

bgBEFxZ.jpg

It's bloody huge, is what it is. The claw clearly dimensioned for being able to eat anything non-capital we've seen so far. At half the size of an Idris I'd wonder if it qualifies for the now vacant corvette class? 

I also note that the turrets seem to have decent coverage, which would have been a worry. Probably not a combat ship by any stretch, but it's nice to see CIG avoiding the usual trade/mining ship = defenseless trope. So it should at least be able to fend off most solo/small gang casual pvpers. Dedicated pirates is another thing of course, but at least it's not a sitting duck. 

With another few medium sized ships upcoming for us T&I peope we will hopefully see a few ships more gain a bit of bulk, I really like the range of sizes we are seeing. :)

"How Big Is My Ship?" It's THIS Big.

Over in the excellent "Ship Size Comparison / Ship Scale" thread, some people expressed a desire to see the size of ships in comparison to real-world objects. I don't have the photo-editing talents of @Zulu_Sauer, but I thought I'd throw together this photographic list of size comparisons for some of the Star Citizen ships. Feel free to reply and add in ships that I didn't include!

Your M50 is about as long as a small sailboat
islander-36.jpg

Your Aurora or Avenger is about as long as a houseboat
59-Deluxe-Houseboat-Media-Forever-12-800

Your Hornet or 300i/315p/325a/350r is about as long as an articulated bus
BRT-Bus-Bus-Rapid-Transit-12-18-Meter-In

Your Xi'an Khartu-al is about as tall as the Falkirk Wheel
falkirk-wheel-an-engineering-marvel-falk

Your Cutlass or Freelancer is about as long as a blue whale
blue-whale-stats.jpg

Your Constellation is about as long as a Boeing 787
Dreamliner_rendering_787-3.jpg

Your Retaliator is about as long as a Boeing 747-400
Singapore_Airlines_Boeing_747-412_9V-SPA

Your Banu Merchantman is a bit longer than Buckingham Palace
buckingham-palace-3.jpg

Your Reclaimer is slightly longer than the Yamal nuclear-powered icebreaker
RIAN_archive_455427_Nuclear_ice-breaker_

Your Idris is about as long as this cruise ship
Sky-Wonder-20060813-Dubrovnik-030_900.jp

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/3470799/#Comment_3470799

Ball park figure i;d say its gonna come in at between 700m and 800m in length.

Ship size comparison, now with Galaxy, Constitution, and Defiant class Starfleet ships for cross-universe comparison!

Od0b9Bn.png
*Posts merged, refer to board rules

Very cool pic again! I'm sure its correct but I feel the 890 looks a little small...

Its more than twice the length of a connie and only 30m shorter than the reclaimer...Probably just the angle.

I thought the same thing - but am actually happy about it.  That means that it will be faster and more maneuverable than if it was larger.  I think the dimension that will make it appear larger (lets say than the Connie) will be the "Z" axis or height (not shown above) - it will have more levels than the Connie.  Since I have (4) Connies... with three of them and the 890 Jump + a Reclaimer as Blood Moon squadron ships I think it will make the Reclaimer seem like a lumbering hulk in comparison to the rest of the fleet (with even more ships added on top of that).  It gives more credence for holding a Reclaimer back in a battle (or even temporarily leaving the battle field)... but the 890 Jump can sick in the fight and act as a C&C ship.

I thought the same thing - but am actually happy about it.  That means that it will be faster and more maneuverable than if it was larger.  I think the dimension that will make it appear larger (lets say than the Connie) will be the "Z" axis or height (not shown above) - it will have more levels than the Connie.  Since I have (4) Connies... with three of them and the 890 Jump + a Reclaimer as Blood Moon squadron ships I think it will make the Reclaimer seem like a lumbering hulk in comparison to the rest of the fleet (with even more ships added on top of that).  It gives more credence for holding a Reclaimer back in a battle (or even temporarily leaving the battle field)... but the 890 Jump can sick in the fight and act as a C&C ship.

Yep well I suspect that as these pics were probably taken from the holoviewer and that they just don't have the dimensions correct in that. The top down view clearly shows that the sizes don't match the current size stats and I think the Connie and 890 lengths of 61m and 123m aren't going to change much if anything now they've been updated.