Feedback Wanted Do I upgrade?

Cray-Z

Hey folks, I have a 2 year old system with the following specs:

Motherboard:  Asus Sabertooth 990FX

CPU:  AMD FX 4100

GPU:  Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 (1GB GDDR5)

RAM: 16GB

HDD:  two Corsair SSDs and one Western Digital 250GB hdd

I ran HWinfo64 to try to see where my bottleneck is and it's showing my processor pegged near 100% when playing Star Citizen (mostly when in the hangar, but I'm getting performance issues while in Arena Commander).  Given all the Black Friday deals popping up, I am considering upgrading the processor to the AMD FX 9590, which would bring be from 4 core to 8 core.  Given the feedback on newegg.com I would also get the CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i CW-9060008-WW/RF Water Cooler.

This would put me back ~$300, which isn't too bad for me. 

So, what do you guys think? 

Thanks in advance

I'm never sure what to say. I still don't have a compelling enough reason to upgrade from my current 7870 due to it having 3GB of RAM and being a solid chip. I can tell you that your Graphics card memory is the most important factor in longevity and output. Still get a good chip, of course. (R9 290x or GTX 970)

On the other hand, with your graphics card being of  the troubled AMD 6000 line and having only 1GB of graphics memory (1GB was not enough when that card was new), AND Black Friday coming up, I'd suggest you get the best card for your system you can afford.

• 2 months later...

As a follow-up, I decided to get the FX-9590 with a water cooler, a 3TB HDD and Windows 8.1. I just loaded Windows on a 250GB SSD. The HDD will be my "apps & storage" drive. I've been consolidating my family pics and video and need the space. Pretty sure my Win7 was illegitimate too. I'm going to wait on upgrading my video card until SC is released. Thanks for the advice guys!

As a follow-up, I decided to get the FX-9590 with a water cooler, a 3TB HDD and Windows 8.1. I just loaded Windows on a 250GB SSD. The HDD will be my "apps & storage" drive. I've been consolidating my family pics and video and need the space. Pretty sure my Win7 was illegitimate too. I'm going to wait on upgrading my video card until SC is released. Thanks for the advice guys!

An SSD would have been preferable to an HHD, unless you need the storage, of course. I have a 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for system crap and OS, a Crucial M4 128GB SSD for SC alone, and 10.5TB of HHDs for storage

I have a bit of flexibility.. Windows 8.1 is on my 250GB SSD. I'll have my family pics and videos on the 3TB HDD, but I also have a 40GB SSD that's now unused. You think that should be my Star Citizen drive?

I have a bit of flexibility.. Windows 8.1 is on my 250GB SSD. I'll have my family pics and videos on the 3TB HDD, but I also have a 40GB SSD that's now unused. You think that should be my Star Citizen drive?

40GB maybe be pushing it, I'd think a minimum of 80GB would be necessary. Until the PU is launched, though, I bet 40GB will be sufficient for now.