AstroJak

Need Tech support - Wifi Adapter on PC cuts out

Hey Guys, i've been having some issues with my new home PC in that the wifi adapter keeps shutting off, which in AC isn't cool. I've been on line all weekend and today looking up possible fixes but so far nothing. the one i'm currently trying is changing the wifi channel my modem is broadcasting on to see if maybe the weak signal is the issue.

I've got an Asus Maximus vi extreme  MB with a 4770k processor... maybe its the mPCIe combo II, which houses the wifi and bluetooth mods?

if you can think of anything please let me know because this is driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

Astro

update - tried the wifi channel change and that hasn't resolved the problem either.

The ex-tech support worker in me wants to ask a bunch of simple questions because I don't know your level of "computer savy" so here it goes.

Simple off the top of my head check your power settings, see if its set to "sleep" if inactive. Are you positive its the WiFi adapter that's cutting out? Were is your modem/router in comparison to you computer? Do you have third party firewall or virus software?

If you have already checked all this stuff please ignore me and ill keep muttering something about the problem being between the keyboard and the chair. :P

Hey Guys, i've been having some issues with my new home PC in that the wifi adapter keeps shutting off, which in AC isn't cool. I've been on line all weekend and today looking up possible fixes but so far nothing. the one i'm currently trying is changing the wifi channel my modem is broadcasting on to see if maybe the weak signal is the issue.

I've got an Asus Maximus vi extreme  MB with a 4770k processor... maybe its the mPCIe combo II, which houses the wifi and bluetooth mods?

if you can think of anything please let me know because this is driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

Astro

update - tried the wifi channel change and that hasn't resolved the problem either.

I would highly suggest geting one (they come in pairs) of these if you can.

[Home-plug / Ethernet Plug]

pl_200av_3pe_ethernet_view_mid.jpg

You can get them fairly cheap in all shapes and size's (no pun intended).

This will,

1st increase your net speed by using the mains as a "hardline" (connection) to your router.

2nd it gets rid of "WIFI" due to it's stability (constant disconnections ect).

so what is it that shuts down?

The wifi access point?

your wifi network card?

the link between your ISP and the router?

Which OS you got? lots of problems with vista!

@Delota, thats for replying... about every hour (on average) the wifi stops working (yellow triangle shows up over "bar symbol" lower right hand corner of screen). I right click the mouse and press "troubleshoot problems" and the system does it thing and comes back with a message saying wifi adapter is disabled, press button to fix problem. resulting in problem being solved for another hours or so... ugh.

using windows 7 64bit, i've deleted and re-installed the broadcom drivers for wifi and Bluetooth twice (latest but not original shipped with disk), I've gone to the power options and put the system to "high performance", I've gone to the device manager and disabled all option to turn off adapters to save power, i've changed the router channel from 11 to 3.

i could try re-installing the bios but thats a last alternative...

The ex-tech support worker in me wants to ask a bunch of simple questions because I don't know your level of "computer savy" so here it goes.

Simple off the top of my head check your power settings, see if its set to "sleep" if inactive. Are you positive its the WiFi adapter that's cutting out? Were is your modem/router in comparison to you computer? Do you have third party firewall or virus software?

If you have already checked all this stuff please ignore me and ill keep muttering something about the problem being between the keyboard and the chair. :P

@offpace, the routs sites on a desk about 20 feet from the computer,power at "high performance", the firewall is windows and the AV is kaspersky which was shipped with the Asus MB. I've trurned the AV off to test if that was cuasing the problem but the adapter still disables itself.

@Delota, thats for replying... about every hour (on average) the wifi stops working (yellow triangle shows up over "bar symbol" lower right hand corner of screen). I right click the mouse and press "troubleshoot problems" and the system does it thing and comes back with a message saying wifi adapter is disabled, press button to fix problem. resulting in problem being solved for another hours or so... ugh.

Ok, when you have another yellow icon please do the following:

hit windows key + R

type in "cmd" and hit enter

Next type in ipconfig and hit enter

You're looking for a default gateway address on the wifi adapter, mine is 192.168.1.1, yours will be something similiar probably

Try the following: "ping the.ip.address.here" and hit enter

This way, you're establishing if you are still connected with the router or not

I would highly suggest geting one (they come in pairs) of these if you can.

[Home-plug / Ethernet Plug]

pl_200av_3pe_ethernet_view_mid.jpg

You can get them fairly cheap in all shapes and size's (no pun intended).

This will,

1st increase your net speed by using the mains as a "hardline" (connection) to your router.

2nd it gets rid of "WIFI" due to it's stability (constant disconnections ect).

@Basard, so how does this work exactly? you plug this device into the wall socket close to the router and than another one near the PC and the signal runs through the house wiring between the two?

@Basard, so how does this work exactly? you plug this device into the wall socket close to the router and than another one near the PC and the signal runs through the house wiring between the two?

It will, it uses your power lines as ethernet cables, but we still haven't established the problem yet

Does not work very well with multiple power groups though

Ok, when you have another yellow icon please do the following:

hit windows key + R

type in "cmd" and hit enter

Next type in ipconfig and hit enter

You're looking for a default gateway address on the wifi adapter, mine is 192.168.1.1, yours will be something similiar probably

Try the following: "ping the.ip.address.here" and hit enter

This way, you're establishing if you are still connected with the router or not

Ok, that makes sense, command prompt...config..ping! so lets assume it comes back negative, this would mean the adapter is truely off? whats the next step?

what if the ping comes back positive, adapter is active and something else is the issue? next step?

@Delota, i agree, if i just wanted to stop using the wifi i could either run a long Ethernet cable from router to PC or move the PC lock-stock and barrel over to the router but that seams like a band-aide fix for the problem. At the end of the day i spent some serious $$ on this equipment, so i want it to function like it should. once I've expended all options i will have to pull hardware and fight with newegg to return it as defective, but that's not as much fun as solving the problem.

Astro

That is correct, WIFI adapters are nothing but trouble (in general), they always play up. I would only use WIFI if it was a last resort only.

If you're like me and your router is not situated in the room you are in, the Home-plug / Ethernet Plug is the best option.

30-40 bucks im guessing.

I used to have a problem like this. 

My problem was because the adapter came with its own software, and conflicted with whatever naturally happens between wifi and drivers. So my uncle uninstalled it, and no more problems after that. Just throwing it out there, if you have it.

I'm not meaning to troll here but WiFi is not for gamers. Unless you have a bitching AP that has a built in firewall that is capable of bandwidth shaping and running QoS go with a wire.

what else is currently running on said WiFi network? are you the only person in your house or do you have other people raping and pillaging your sensitive WiFi bandwidth?

I can't understand why you all think wifi is so bad xD

I have a <1ms connection from my room to my router which has a lot of concrete walls between it.
never have playups or hickups.

what if the ping comes back positive, adapter is active and something else is the issue? next step?

If it comes back positive, it's the outer connection, so you got a lease from your router meaning you are in the network BUT the outer line(WAN) to your ISP is having hickups(out of your control)
Negative or timeout could mean many things, Best is to check the router logs to see what happened

The yellow warning sign could indicate a problem getting a lease from your router OR you are connected but there is no connection to the ISP or adapter problems

I'm not meaning to troll here but WiFi is not for gamers. Unless you have a bitching AP that has a built in firewall that is capable of bandwidth shaping and running QoS go with a wire.

what else is currently running on said WiFi network? are you the only person in your house or do you have other people raping and pillaging your sensitive WiFi bandwidth?

We have a lot going on in the house with wifi and although i'm having these issues staying on line with the wifi option, i'm playing AC at all ultra-high settings (when the wifi is running) with zero lag or other issues. I'm happy with the wifi option, if i can get this adapter issue sorted.

If i can't, then i'll either use the plug option or move my set up beside the router and wire in...the problem with this is; it puts me closer to the RL humans who also live in this house and constantly ask me to do stuff for them when they see me having fun!!!! I just feed them and hope they go away but they just seam to come back, ugh!

I can't understand why you all think wifi is so bad xD

I have a <1ms connection from my room to my router which has a lot of concrete walls between it.

never have playups or hickups.

If it comes back positive, it's the outer connection, so you got a lease from your router meaning you are in the network BUT the outer line(WAN) to your ISP is having hickups(out of your control)

Negative or timeout could mean many things, Best is to check the router logs to see what happened

The yellow warning sign could indicate a problem getting a lease from your router OR you are connected but there is no connection to the ISP or adapter problems

I've been told... i'll be taking the X-Mas tree out tonight!!! so i'll try this tomorrow and let you know

I found this old thread and wanted to post a last comment. After checking everything under the sun I updated the bios which solved all the issues.

I only tackled this aspect because it was the last option before returning the MB.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Cheers

Aj