Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series on HBO!

Arcanus

Now that HBO has finished True Blood, it looks like they're in the market for a second great epic fiction series to complement Game of Thrones, and if this is true... they could have another winner!

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/10/7190087/interstellar-scribe-jonathan-nolan-is-adapting-asimov-foundation-hbo

Yeah I got so excited when I saw that news as well! Apparently they have noticed Syfy's latest endeavors and decided to compete with only the grandest epic series they could find. I actually just wrote a whole rant about it in my "" thread, because between this news, and all the Syfy news (and some FX news), there is just a lot to cover for 2015! Which is great for us Sci-Fi fans ^_^

I have to say Maybe to the Foundation series.

Look at Dune. It took 4 tries before they even came close to it. The best one was that 6 part mini-series and even that went off the reservation in some plots and story lines. The others were a Nice Try (if you wanted to be kind),

Any book that is as complex as Dune or Foundation is either going to be several movies (aka LOTH, Hobbit), or a complete WTF to people who have not read the book and have no idea what is being done or why. It takes time to explain the actions behind the actions, and for a good read that will not be accomplished in 120 minutes.

So, MAYBE...

An HBO series is probably the only way to do Foundation and stay true to the Author. - DRUM out

I'm not going to say they won't screw it up, we've all been burned before but perhaps not as much by hbo.

Regardless off my inherent cynicism, I'm going to admit I'm looking forward to this, JN had a history of converting elaborate stories in a way that appeals to the masses without seeming to dumb things down overly. Even if he hadn't just written interstellar I'd still be excited to see what he could do with this amazing story, and if it doesn't live up to my hopes then at least it will raise awareness of one of sci-fis masterpieces to a new generation.

True, he did create the most mainstream Cyberpunk series ever, and people are completely oblivious to this fact. And by that I mean Person of Interest, which manages to look at machines in a more interesting way (they are not inherently evil, just their logic at work) and the relationship between man and machine. Another important aspect of Interstellar as well, where the machines are some of the best part of the movie.

I am happy that J. Nolan is the one working on the HBO show. If someone can make sci-fi mainstream, it might be him.

Love that series @Valenquo

The real hardship that comes with making a series like this is purely how to make it relevant to a modern day viewer, who isn't a natural fan of all things sci-fi. He managed to do that with person of interest by disguising cyber punk in a contemporary seeing, doing it with a story based millennia in the future will bee a much more impressive trick. This isn't exactly Battlestar Galactica

J. Nollan being interviewed about interstellar: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/interview-interstellar-co-writer-jonathan-nolan-on-close-encounters-rewrites-more-20141104

One final thing: What's the one piece of science fiction you truly love that people don't know enough about?
A film?

A film, book, whatever
Ooh.

Broad spectrum. We have a literate audience. 
(Laughs) Readers as opposed to viewers, huh? Well, I fucking love the "Foundation" novels by Isaac Asimov —they're certainly not unknown, but that's a set of books I think everyone would benefit from reading. That's a set of books where the influence they have is just fucking massive; they have many imitators and many have been inspired by them, but go back and read those, and there are some ideas in those that'll set your fucking hair on fire.