To SLI or Not to SLI...

My current gaming setup:

• ASUS ROG Intel motherboard
  • Intel Core i7 Quad 950 (3.0Ghz)
  • 6Gb DDR3 RAM
  • GeForce GTX 570 (Primary)
  • GeForce GTX 260 (Physx)
  • 120Gb SSD + 3Tb HDDs

(I'm not at this machine currently so I can't pull all the specifics)

Actually, I was thinking seriously about going with a single card now and upgrading to dual cards down the road if I felt I needed the extra performance.  I just didn't know if one video card would be sufficient to power three 1080p monitors...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_970_SLI/9.html

^ Even a SLI 970 setup would most likely have trouble with a 5760x1080 when playing star citizen later on unless you tone down some settings( I use crysis 3 benchmark for star citizen comparison).

Also if you don't like the Oculus Rift because it completely blocks your view, I would consider checking out the Avegant Glyph.

http://avegant.com/faq/

Oh Mantle ... you mean the thing which is enabled in Civ 6 (Beyond Earth).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8640/benchmarked-civilization-beyond-earth/2

290X with Mantle still losing to Geforce GTX 980 in 4K ... while needing 50-100W more power.

Tbh. AMD is always pretty big in promising and not so big in delivering. I remember the hype about the bulldozer CPU's ... and they were shit.

Edit: what i wanted to say, right now, you have to buy Nvidia, maybe that will change with AMDs new GPU lineup. But you have to wait for that.

Did you really just compare a $540-$600 card to one that's $330-$400?

You're really digging that ditch for scraps.

Did you really just compare a $540-$600 card to one that's $330-$400?

You're really digging that ditch for scraps.

I was comparing the best single-GPU from Nvidia to the best single-GPU from AMD. (btw. prices are what they are, because of the performance difference.)

Just wanted to show, that mantle isn't the messias.

I was comparing the best single-GPU from Nvidia to the best single-GPU from AMD. (btw. prices are what they are, because of the performance difference.)

Just wanted to show, that mantle isn't the messias.

You're right about that.

The little things that Nvidia has been doing are adding up and getting on my nerves.  Nvidia is going out of their way to block Freesync(Adaptive sync) use on their own cards.  It's a royalty free VESA standard on ALL future displays with DisplayPort.  That means they have to manually amend any new cards to not use it.  That's what we call anti-consumer.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-amd-adaptive-sync-freesync,27736.html

http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/225

http://www.vesa.org/news/vesa-adds-adaptive-sync-to-popular-displayport-video-standard/

I hate how they call it AMDs, it's not, it's a new standard for everyone.

I just upgrade from duel evga 690's to duel  980's  have had 3 moniotrs for about 4 years I will not play any game with out 3 monitors the peripheal vision is sweet. You donot have to look out ur left and right windows just glance right and left with perifeal vision and wam its done... This game realy makes them pop as well... And being able to run every game on max ultra settings max a huge diffrence. 

One issue with my setup I cant seem to get the 120 refresh rate to work on the 980's it worked great on the 690's they are collecting dust in the $2,400 boxes lol in the closet.... priginal price when released hahah. I was told by the oculus guy on the phone when i called to inquire about it when i told him what i was running That this was just as gd if not better So I will not be grabbing something to fit on my head.

I'm Going to call these guys and see what they have to say i like this alot better, Being a prior service 11b/1p in the 82nd Airborne I like how it is almost like a set of NVG's Night vision  goggles but much lighter hmhmhmhhm... And i also have a ts3 with a few guys who will be playing star citizen . We will be playing Elite Dangerous, till Star citizen gets a bit more polished I played freelancer from the start till about a year ago on and off. And my steam ID is silentdeath thx can't wait to see ya around the galaxy...

I also have a few pics of my machine running star citizen on 3 monitors I max graphics if interested i will get them up.

amd 5.1 8 core

32 gigs ram

duel 980's sli 

3 120 mhz matched monitors

13 terrabytes hd's

D-frame collectors case purchased during preorder #283 or somthing

Cyborg strike 7 keyboard pwnage

When the flight sticks are figured out let me know and which will be the best price is no matter thx

These are the  690'sbrb with a pic on the 980's 

690's https://imageshack.com/i/idfS6coej  now keep in mind the middel monitor is what a normal machine will see.

980's 

@drowadin I would like to see pics of your set up.  To the OP:

• Is an SLI configuration really worth it performance wise?

Yes.   Scaling is getting better, especially with newer cards like the 970 and 980.   I would buy cards with better price-performance ratio like the 970 or the R9 295x2 8gb, which is a CRAZY value after getting cut from $1000 to $700 or so.   It is technically two cards in one and shines at 4k and multi-monitor displays.   It has 8GB of VRAM.   I would have gotten this if I hadn't already bought cards recently

• To run 3 monitors do I need 2 video cards, or would one be enough to run a full 3D surround configuration?

Probably - depends on your resolution and settings.  One card might easily handle three 1080P monitors but three cards may not handle three 4k monitors at max settings/AA anytime soon.  I really like having one 27" 1440P monitor powered by SLI 970s with the option of getting Oculus Rift VR at some point, as opposed to shelling out the cash for an immersive three monitor display.  However I would wait until the Oculus Rift Consumer Version 1 before trying virtual reality

• Is 3D gaming worth it (any experienced 3D gamers out there)?

No experience

• Any good recommendations on 144Hz Refresh Rate monitors 24" and above size?

There aren't a lot of options right now, but in a year or two there should be more.   The 27" Asus ROG Swift is a popular TN panel.   You could also check out the Overlord Tempest X270OC, which is a 1440P 120HZ IPS panel (pretty interesting tbh because high refresh rate monitors are typically TN panels, which have the disadvantages of poorer viewing angles and color accuracy) http://overlordcomputer.com/products/tempest-x270oc-glossy

My set up:

Asus ROG Swift 27" monitor

Asus Maximus Formula VII Z97 Motherboard

i5-4690k overclocked to 4.5ghz

Gigabyte 970s in SLI

16gb Corsair Vengeance 2133mhz

Several Solid State Drives, one large HDD

Corsair H110

Edited by Vrubel

If you are primarily gaming with your computer, I would recommend not going with the 2011-v3 set up and instead go with the Z97.   Very few games are going to take advantage of that since the GPU is usually the bottle-neck.   Heck, an i5-2500k wouldn't bottleneck most GPU set-ups today.  

I think you are much better off getting a quality Z97, and either the i5-4690k or i7-4790k,  and putting the money you are saving from not buying DDR4 into a better GPU/monitor(s) set-up.  That's what I would do

I will never run an Intel chip nor will I ever run an amd GPU thx

A better GPU I'm running dual 980's sli and 3 acer 3rd 120 mhz monitors lol better hmm k

Not sure if you are responding to me... but I was directing my response to OP