How has gaming affected you?

Dr. Bright

Hello all,

I’m working on a research project for a college class where I am trying to learn about the effects of virtual communications on human culture and development. I am interested in conducting research to investigate how various online communities in which I am actively engaged and see how various people have been affected by their interactions in online games. Below are some questions to help me gain a basic understanding of how people interact using virtual forms of communication.

Disclaimer: All information will be kept confidential and will only be used for academic and educational purposes.

1. Approximately how many years have you been gaming? (What age did you start?)

2. What devices do you usually game on?

3. What games do you play?

4. How do you communicate with other gamers while gaming? (Typing, voice, video, or other?)

5. Approximately how much time do you spend each day using virtual methods of communication and what forms do they take (IRC, online chat, teamspeak, skype etc.)?

6. How have your virtual/online interactions had an effect on your real world life? (Friends, insight into new cultures, anything)

7. How many friends have you gained through gaming (IRL and In game).

8. Why do you game? What benefits/drawbacks does it give you?

9. Anything else you would like to add.

Thank you for taking the time to read/respond to these questions.

NOVA-FOX

1. I've been gaming since I was at LEAST 10 years old, so 15~ years?

2. PC

3. RPGs, MMORPGs, FPS, Platformer/Puzzle, essentially everything

4. For the majority of gamers, typing. For those I care about, VOIP (TS/Vent/Mumble). For those I really care about, Skype.

5. I talk with my long term gaming friends on skype pretty much every day for quite a bit. TS/Vent/Mumble, probably 1 hours~

6. I grew up playing with people from all walks of life. It gave me an open-minded perspective on the world and made me far less naive than I could have been. 

7. Many, but there is a handful of in-game friends I've known and talk to for years. Probably 5 of those. I actually met my gf of 4 years because of our mutual interest in gaming.

8. I game because it's my hobby. It's an outlet to be competitive. It's also the only place you can go on grand-adventures to save the world (or destroy it) from an interactive point of view -- I'm a huge book reader, so I just view it as a higher form of entertainment.

9. Well, I've done quite a bit in the gaming industry that isn't specifically about gaming. I used to be the COO of a successful eSports organization. I used to be a writer/journalist/podcaster for the largest Elder Scrolls Online fan site. Right now, I've been a YouTuber for a bit over a year doing Let's Plays and informative pieces on games I especially enjoy. It's been a fantastic experience of which I just reached 9,000 subscribers. YouTube has let me not only continue to enjoy the games I like playing, but express that enjoyment to others as well. 

Good luck on your project.

1. Approximately how many years have you been gaming? (What age did you start?) - At the age of 10 I believe, so that's been 29 years ago.

2. What devices do you usually game on? - I've played some Nintendo consoles (up to N64), C64, Amiga and PC. Heck I started with a ZX Spectrum :P

3. What games do you play? Mostly Fantasy or Sci-fi. I'm a fan of the Elder Scrolls series (NOT ESO!!!), Fallout series and Wing Commander ofcourse.

4. How do you communicate with other gamers while gaming? (Typing, voice, video, or other?) - Typing and VOIP; usually Mumble or TS3

5. Approximately how much time do you spend each day using virtual methods of communication and what forms do they take (IRC, online chat, teamspeak, skype etc.)? 8 hours a day? Mumble with the occassional TS3 thrown in.

6. How have your virtual/online interactions had an effect on your real world life? (Friends, insight into new cultures, anything) - Friends? What's that?? I'm a hobo living under a bridge! My only friend is my PC!!

7. How many friends have you gained through gaming (IRL and In game). - I made lots of acquaintances, but I do not go around calling everyone a friend. I only have a handful of people that deserve to be called friend.

8. Why do you game? What benefits/drawbacks does it give you? - It provides me with the means to escape from this stupid planet and its stupid people and live in my own world ;)

9. Anything else you would like to add. - Did I mention I was a hobo living under a bridge? Well, that's not exactly true. :P

1. I think I was around 10 years old, maybe a little younger when i started gaming. I remember playing Apache Strike on the Apple Macintosh somehere in the late 1980s (Did someone say NOSTALGIA?) and somewhere around 1990 getting the Sega Megadrive (Genesis) and playing the crap out of Sonic the Hedgehog and such. Good times...

2. I primarily play games on my PC these days

3. I play a variety of games. Among my favorites are skyrim, World of Warcraft which i played for many years, the Mass Effect series and Portal/Portal 2... too many games to name really.

4. Communication differs per game. Usually voice chat or typing

5. My (computer) gaming time has decreased lately. I guess a few hours per week. Im running a D&D game with friends which takes some of my free time.
I do use the computer to make artwork, and I work as a senior designer at a media agency.

6. Through the years Ive played with a lot of people, but the number of friends I speak with on a regular basis are peopel I've met offline as well. Games have come and gone and the number of contacts I still maintain contact with are a few.

7. I play games mostly as entertainment.. where others sit behind the TV for hours Id rather play a computergame. Its also an escape, there's nothing like playing a good immersive game after a long day at work.

1. Age? The same age every other hardcore gamer starts at, age 5.

2. Devices? It started on friends' consoles, but mainly take place on my own PC now.

3. Games? Any genre, any type, anything.

4. Communicate? I've historically used chat, but since I'm opening into the world more, teamspeak is a thing.

5. Time Spent Communicating? Averages about ten minutes, because I often go for singleplayer games.

6. Effects Online Interactions? It started as a negative effect, until I found a real life group of buddies in the Army that shared plenty of game experiences with me, then it had a really uplifting effect, and I've found that some of my old online friends actually care about me more than my old real life friends.

7. Friends Gained Online. An uncountable number. I usually count acquaintances as friends too, because it's very easy to convince a person you've just met to play another game with you. For example: I had sort of a falling out with a teammate on Guns of Icarus Online, we actually had a somewhat productive discussion, and in the end, we started playing Space Engineers together.

8. Why Game? Benefits/Drawbacks? The benefits almost any gamer sees is an increase in participation. They get to feel like they are really part of something, even if it is just a virtual experience filled with the same quests and such. They get to share experiences, and make actual friends much more easily than just real life friends alone. Action-type games like Mirrors Edge, some FPS games, and other genres can even cause a person to go outside and join those activities as well, because members of those groups will often be gamers too. The drawbacks of such experience include the possibility of not going outside at all, and occasionally the feeling of not having accomplished anything on your bucket list that day. In the same breath, gaming can be a very time consuming entertainment sink, and may be counterproductive if one has too many other projects.

9. Other Notes: Isn't it fun when you have a school topic you can somehow turn into gaming xD

Hello all,

I’m working on a research project for a college class where I am trying to learn about the effects of virtual communications on human culture and development. I am interested in conducting research to investigate how various online communities in which I am actively engaged and see how various people have been affected by their interactions in online games. Below are some questions to help me gain a basic understanding of how people interact using virtual forms of communication.

Disclaimer: All information will be kept confidential and will only be used for academic and educational purposes.

4. How do you communicate with other gamers while gaming? (Typing, voice, video, or other?)

5. Approximately how much time do you spend each day using virtual methods of communication and what forms do they take (IRC, online chat, teamspeak, skype etc.)?

6. How have your virtual/online interactions had an effect on your real world life? (Friends, insight into new cultures, anything)

NOVA-FOX

1. I started when I was 8-years-old.

2. I mainly play on the PC but we also have a PS4 and XBOX360. 

3. I don't really have a favorite genre. I play MMORPG, FPS, RPG, Puzzle, Sims, Space, Horror, etc... I recently started playing MOBAs as well.

4. Typing and In-Game chat (if available) for communicating with random pubbies. And with my clans/guilds, I use Ventrillo, Mumble and TeamSpeak.

5. It varies. 

6. Sean and I are both gamers so it gives us an awesome hobby that we can enjoy together. We spend so much time doing it that we are getting ready to start our own gaming YouTube channel that will be similar to Felicia Day's Co-Optitude except with more modern games and less popularity of course. :P I also made many new friends from all over the world.

7. Oh geez, I am not sure how many friends I have made but definitely quite a few. I would probably say around 300-400 people that I talk to on a pretty regular basis and 47 that I talk to constantly, 11 of whom I have met in real life and 3 of them are very close friends now. I have even made some friends who are inside the gaming industry, such as a GameMaster and a couple of Community Managers. Unfortunately, on the negative side of that, it also allowed me to see how horrible people can be and I have made my share of enemies. 

8. It is a great way to relieve stress, I enjoy competing with other people and I am a very social person so it gives me the chance to interact with a wide variety of people.

1. When I was 9 years old and I got the N64 and a Gameboy with Pokemon, so about 17 years ago

2. PC and Ps3

3. every kind of game, from sports to strategy, shooter to mmo's

4. EIther typing but if there is a chance to use a voice program, then that

5. On average I would say about 1-2 hours a day

6. They have a big impact. During the day I sit in an office and no one plays games, therefore if you can communicate with people on your level in the evening it is great. People often have the same kind of humor and people tend to talk more openly over a chat/voice program than in real life. 

7. Some of my closest/best friends I met through playing games. You tend to like each other when you already have a big hobby in common. 

8. The ability to just switch off, sit back and relax. I much rather stay home on weekends and play a game and really enjoy it, instead of going out every night and spending heaps of money. All the different worlds in the different games are just amazing, it is like playing the main character in your own movie these days.

Approximately how many years have you been gaming? (What age did you start?)

Seventeen years, started at the age of five with some fucking amazing sheep farm simulation game.

What devices do you usually game on?

PC for most of those years, had a PS2, Gameboy, and an N64 in my childhood.

What games do you play?

Nowadays almost exclusively grand strategy or non-crappy MMOs sandbox MMOs like Star Citizen and Star Wars Galaxies-I avoid WoW-clone games like the plague. I’ll occasionally play some shooters, but most really suck these days.

How do you communicate with other gamers while gaming? (Typing, voice, video, or other?)

90% of the time typing, 10% voice chat.

Approximately how much time do you spend each day using virtual methods of communication and what forms do they take (IRC, online chat, teamspeak, skype etc.)?

Since most of my friends live far away and I run a roleplaying website with a good amount of members, probably 10-12 if you count me having it on my phone and checking now and again while in class, out and about, etc.

How have your virtual/online interactions had an effect on your real world life? (Friends, insight into new cultures, anything)

I’ve met a good proportion of my friends and one or two girls I’ve liked online and it has affected me significantly. It’s probably made me somewhat socially autistic IRL now but I get along fine with people.  However so many betrayals and random shit have made me far less trusting and cynical about people in general, while teaching me that restraining oneself is an essential skill in life, and the critical importance of communication and not judging people out of hand. It’s probably made me a bit harder in general, though.  On new cultures and the like, after spending a lot of time on international forums, I’ve turned from being a self-hating American to one who is quite proud of his country after realizing how hypocritical and fucked up other countries are and the shallowness and stupidity of 99.99% of anti-Americanism, though one who admits his country does screw up from time to time and isn't always the best.

How many friends have you gained through gaming (IRL and In game).

See above.

Why do you game? What benefits/drawbacks does it give you?

Relaxation and to stave off boredom. It probably wastes a good proportion of my time that could be applied to other things more usefully, but I get anxious a lot and it is a critical method of helping me calm down.

Sure, I'll play. (Hmm may have given away something with that statement).

Before I delve into the questions. A personal view. Who you interact with face to face will always be more important and have a deeper impact on you as a person. While today's communication methods may give you a broader knowledge of the world as a whole - your nature will always be more heavily sculptured by those you hang around with on a daily basis. Peers and friends alike.

Approximately how many years have you been gaming? (What age did you start?) 60 years. I have to assume I was also gaming the 5 years before that but it was not on boards or packaged games. At about age five I was introduced to chess. You have to take into consideration that there were Board Games and the like before computers were invented. And also DO NOT ask how many dimes (and eventually quarters), have been slotted into Pin Ball Machines.

What devices do you usually game on? I am a PC guy. Played with some of the early consoles like Pong, Odyssey, Coleco, and the like. But was never enamored with them.

What games do you play? If just Computer Games, I started with flight sims (air warrior in 83). Since that period I mostly enjoy a heavy crafting or trade game. When space sim games came out and tied it all together I was a happy camper. So Privateer, Corporation, SWG, EQ, etc others drew me in. My usual role in MMO's is to craft goodies for the kids to go kill things with. Overall though, I still rather sit at the table and have a good game of cards (which will usually evolve into a drinking game if we stick it out).

How do you communicate with other gamers while gaming? (Typing, voice, video, or other?) All Of The Above.

Approximately how much time do you spend each day using virtual methods of communication and what forms do they take (IRC, online chat, teamspeak, skype etc.)? Total hours? Hard to say. I am involved with two non-SC Alpha, both of which have their own TS. Total time has to be around 8 hours (+) a day if you also include lurking in RSI and SCB forums.

How have your virtual/online interactions had an effect on your real world life? (Friends, insight into new cultures, anything) Odd question. Of course it will deliver insights. Anything you do does. Fishing, bowling, gaming, local bar, watching the news, you name it. Everything you do affects who you are as a person and how you interact with the world. One thing gaming does since the Internet is it allows you to spread beyond you immediate surroundings. Comparing what is happening in your neighborhood to one on the other side of the world will always be of interest and enlightening.

How many friends have you gained through gaming (IRL and In game). Friends are the people who show up and we sit and have a few drinks. Friends take a commitment, which is why (if you are truthful), you can count them on one or two hands. You can only spread commitment so far.

It is delusional to say someone whom you have Typed To or killed an Orc with is a friend. Better question would be how many Acquaintances or Associates have you garnered. For an answer, Acquaintances come and go as you move through the gaming world. Much like in real life, to keep someone close after you have both moved on to another game (or job or hobby), is hard and would take a commitment from both parties. A rare occurrence.

Why do you game? What benefits/drawbacks does it give you? Deep down I imagine it draws on the human instinct to Hunt and Explore. Imagination needs fuel and Curiosity plays a role. I do it because I find it enjoyable. Some days I would rather go fishing or play in the garden. Also because it is enjoyable. Benefit or drawback? Nothing comes to mind. A more interesting day? Dunno. Let us know what you figure out.

Anything else you would like to add. Good Luck and Happy Trails on trying to figure out why people do things. Remember that a lot of life's decisions are not made with any degree of insight or thought process.

They are made because it just felt like a good idea at the time. - DRUM out

Hello all,

NOVA-FOX

I'm not a hard core gamer, but hopefully my answers can still help you out.

1. Been playing for eighteen years, started when I was four.
  2. PC and console.
  3. Many genres, but I do like fantasy-adventure the most.
  4. Typing.
  5. Not much at all. I spend about two hours on forums. No skype, no chat messages, or emails.
  6. A huge impact I would like to say. At least gaming and interacting with all sorts of people opened me up to one more one culture.
  7. Only two, really.
  8. I game because I enjoy good stories, and to have some fun (basically to get rid of stress/worry).
  9. Nothing much, only that gaming is far more enjoyable when you have friends or family to play with, that's for sure.

Yeah, although it does help give me more insight into what drives people while they game. It's a 10 page essay so I have plenty of room to go into details. XD

Well maybe you can spend a page trolling how we become Frankenstein Creatures of Darkness by playing violent video games lol.

Well maybe you can spend a page trolling how we become Frankenstein Creatures of Darkness by playing violent video games lol.

Oh god, you won't believe the amount of pseudo intellectual bullsh!t pulling unsubstantiated "research" out of its arse I've had to read while researching for this essay that tries to pass of that view. Worst part is the amount of people I see responding to guff like that saying things like "This is why I don't let my kids play video games". 

Funny thing is most of it is sponsored or even created by the "old guard" entertainment industry (Time Warner, 20th Century Fox, New York Times etc.)  <_<

Ah well, best to just laugh at the old coots and move on.  :D

Oh god, you won't believe the amount of pseudo intellectual bullsh!t pulling unsubstantiated "research" out of its arse I've had to read while researching for this essay that tries to pass of that view. Worst part is the amount of people I see responding to guff like that saying things like "This is why I don't let my kids play video games". 

Well by that logic, they'd better not let their children go outside either because there are nasty folk abound xD

Luckily, video gaming(even the violent genre) won't die, because it's like crack. Except, much, much better.

1. Approximately how many years have you been gaming? (What age did you start?) 12 or earlier.

2. What devices do you usually game on? PC

3. What games do you play? Present? Mostly Team-Based-Games like Warthunder, MMO games, CS, BF. Wargame.....

4. How do you communicate with other gamers while gaming? (Typing, voice, video, or other?) Voice

5. Approximately how much time do you spend each day using virtual methods of communication and what forms do they take (IRC, online chat, teamspeak, skype etc.)? Teamspeak

6. How have your virtual/online interactions had an effect on your real world life? (Friends, insight into new cultures, anything) Huh, no idea really, maybe I care less about the world and humanity, like to watch some gore and am pretty intrested how conflicts in the world play out, sad that there are no detailed reports how modern armys operate. (You know, Gameplay-Tactics, think there was a reportage in German TV how a Gamer reacts to video of someone getting shot and how a non-Gamer reacts (brain activity wise)) 

7. How many friends have you gained through gaming (IRL and In game). ~15

8. Why do you game? What benefits/drawbacks does it give you? Fun, Social activity, less time for studying

9. Anything else you would like to add. StarCitizen is a weird phenomen and I don't really know why people are still excited for it and continue to spend money for it instead to wait and see.

1. Approximately how many years have you been gaming? (What age did you start?) I have started gaming when I was 3 or 4. Years compiled as a gamer is 15 or 16 years.

2. What devices do you usually game on? PC (15 years on PC) (1 year on Console)

3. What games do you play? Military games that take place in either modern times or in the future. (Command and Conquer, Planetside 2, Arma)

4. How do you communicate with other gamers while gaming? (Typing, voice, video, or other?) Voice Ip, preferably TeamSpeak

5. Approximately how much time do you spend each day using virtual methods of communication and what forms do they take (IRC, online chat, teamspeak, skype etc.)? 4-5 hours per weekday, 6-7 per day off.

6. How have your virtual/online interactions had an effect on your real world life? (Friends, insight into new cultures, anything) Several of my online contacts have encouraged me to further my education, quit wed, and even join the military.  I have furthered and still am furthering my education. I have quit weed, last day I smoked was July 31st of 2014. The same person to encourage me to quit weed has also convinced me to look into joining air force, though I have looked into it, I'd prefer a corporate career working through the ranks of a corporation. 

7. How many friends have you gained through gaming (IRL and In game). I want to say 56, after counting the estimated friends made on the various groups I have been with. 

8. Why do you game? What benefits/drawbacks does it give you? I wish to have recreation without fear of running into trouble from both law enforcement and thugs alike. I also like the knowledge i acquire from conversations with the various people I meet. I also love getting involved in group projects, and even getting involved in Human Resources with groups.

9. Anything else you would like to add. I have been on endeavours such as raising a E-Sports Community alongside two online friends. [Raised a group of 20+ people in Starcraft 2]. In another group I was a 3-D modeler for an indie game, though a failed project, was still more productive activities I have done with friends IRL. I live a more productive life with friends over the net, than my druggie friends that I have made IRL. For most part I have ditched them and are looking for non-druggie friends to hang out with, but most are either into that mess[Pain Killers, and opiates], or they are too busy to pick me up and hang out. [under complicated family circumstances I only have a permit]. 

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's been a while, but, seeing as how I turn in my essay tomorrow, I wanted to send out a big thank you to everyone who took part. I was able to get a lot of interesting information.

Thanks for taking the time to help out.  :)

Doood, your queries also need at least the following additional components: age, socio-economic status, marital status, other hobbies, placement in ones sibling ranks (oldest, middle, youngest, etc), played competitive sports? (perhaps, too, the level at which one played), country of origin, myriad others and of course, the gratuitous race/ethnic identity and sex.

Your Thesis is what? Without these more detailed components, your "basic" research results will be vague, frankly, stuff you can find online without too much effort.

I did a similar study before and found that very few people would respond when asked about age, SES, and such. This isn't a major paper (just a final project for a 10 week class) so our research method can have shortcomings (one of the requirements is to point out flaws in my study and address improvements). This is also my first time doing a research paper focused on a study I had to devise and it shows.  :lol:

Ideally I would have also observed player interactions in game as well as analyzing data from a much larger sampling pool (currently 22 people from 2 forums when it should be something like 40-50 players). As it stands my primary focus was on seeing how interpersonal interactions in games relate to the interactions outlined in Vygotsky's Sociocultural Theory, something that could easily fill a 20-30 page essay while my max page limit is 15.

Thanks for the tips though, I'll make sure to include them in any further studies.

I wonder, I'm assuming since it wasn't a published thesis and only a small project, they didn't make you fill out a waiver regarding data collection human subjects...did they?  Just curious, the internet has a way of blurring the lines of research and permissions.

Video games dont affect kids. If pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching on magic pills and listening to repeditive electronic music

• n
  1.  15 years probably, started when I was 6

2. PC Master Race

3. Games like EVE, LoL, CSS, Minecraft

4. Typing, voice.

5. I'm always online on skype/teamspeak should anyone need me

6. I've gotten a lot of new friends from many different games who I'd go on to meet IRL. They come from all sorts of cultures and places, so I guess it did give me the chance to expand my horizons

7. I would say 2~3 true friends, dozens of aquintances

8. Its fun

9. Live long and prosper

I wonder, I'm assuming since it wasn't a published thesis and only a small project, they didn't make you fill out a waiver regarding data collection human subjects...did they?  Just curious, the internet has a way of blurring the lines of research and permissions.

They didn't, which is why I made sure to remove any personal information from the final essay.  Mostly it talks about the percentages (i.e. 75% said gaming has a positive effect on them, 42% said they interacted more than 3 hours a day via virtual communications etc.) to avoid crossing that line as much as possible. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know, It's been a while, but I recently got word back from my teacher saying that my paper is eligible for a Capstone Honors Project that could involve it actually getting published (probably not peer reviewed but I don't know). Although, I would naturally need to conduct a more comprehensive survey in order to get a more complete dataset. I'm really psyched about this and would just like to say thank you again for making this possible, you guys and gals are an awesome community and I'm proud to be part of it  :wub:

1. I've started playing games before I can remember, my mom used to told me that when I was one-two years old and my dad played any games in his Windows-95 PC I was always looking and ocasionally grabbed the mouse or pressed hte keyboard, I actually don't remember any moment in my life which I wasn't able to turn on the PC and play some games. I'm 19 right now, so I think my first experience would be 18 years ago.

2. PC.

3. There are way too many, RTS, Action, RPG, Racing, almost everything.

4. Voice chat/On-screen chat.

5. If whatsapp counts, all-day long.

6. Right now, It's not affecting me very much, I've started collage this year, I live alone now, and I've lost a lot of assignments because of gaming in the last months, but right now I decided to stop it a little and went from having 20-30 games installed to 1-2

7. A few, but I don't know if considering them as friends would be appropiate.

8. Fun.