325a initial thoughts

thekalman

For the most part I've stuck with the Hornet in AC, but took the 325 out for a spin yesterday. Loved it. Really reminded me of flying the A-wings in the XW series. Nimble as hell. With power into engines and thrusters that thing just dances. I have thrusters mapped to my thumbstick and unlike the beefy F7 the thruster response on the 325 was quick and powerful enough to really throw the ship around.

Weapons are powerful enough to two- or three-shot the Vanduul scum. Shield regen rate was really good too.

I also found with the 325, unlike the Hornet, you really have to manage your ship. I was constantly swapping power around depending on what I was doing. It was a ton of fun.

Any other opinions on it?

somehow in ctrl C mode, my ship keeps randomly moving all over the place resulting in me missing 98% of my shots.

don't know if those jerking movements were intended, but I liked the way 300i handles in general!

I noticed an issue where my thrusters kept "jamming" open. Not sure if it was a bug or because my thumbstick doesn't perfectly centre. Will test more this week. 

I honestly find the 300i easier to fly due to the nose gun being more functional. The 325A has a very powerful nose gun, but due to a slow fire rate and even slower projectile, I find it much more difficult to use effectively.

• 2 weeks later...

Even with the new flight model I find the 325a extremely difficult to engage targets with a mouse+keyboard. The flight aspect of this ship is excellent, very fast and maneuverable. Maybe I'm just being a noob, but for some reason the gimbal weapon and the fixed weapons together just make a terrible combination as I'm only able to effectively use the gimbal. I haven't tried using it with a joystick yet with all weapons set to fixed, but I imagine that would alleviate the issue?

Even with the weapon speeds increased in v9.2 (which helps a lot) and the hard hitting cannons, I'm thinking that for dog fighting rapid fire fixed weapons would be a better choice when using a M+KB and stick to cannons for joystick, what do you guys think?

Honestly I don't fly with a mouse, so I'm not sure. I'd like all guns to be fixed other than a few degrees for gun harmonization, personally. 99% of every other space sim does it that way... I don't get why it's such a big deal in SC.

• 2 weeks later...

Melting my 325a LTI for the Anniversary / Carrack concept sale. This was the first ship I bought and the only greatest disappointment. You can hit the broadside of a barn with it only if it isn't moving. Initial discussions had the 325a and the Hornet even with speed versus firepower. Worst ship ever, until it gets fixed I won't ask customer service to un-melt it. Who was the dumbass designer who came up with the 300 series? It's only good for racing definitely not combat. :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

Melting my 325a LTI for the Anniversary / Carrack concept sale. This was the first ship I bought and the only greatest disappointment. You can hit the broadside of a barn with it only if it isn't moving. Initial discussions had the 325a and the Hornet even with speed versus firepower. Worst ship ever, until it gets fixed I won't ask customer service to un-melt it. Who was the dumbass designer who came up with the 300 series? It's only good for racing definitely not combat. :ph34r:

To be honest, I couldn't agree with you more. The nose gun is alright but surprise, out of ammo after sneezing! The two lasers on the side are designed to hit from a distance and to hit hard....the only problem is the nose gun actually moves with your cursor (or whatever you're using). Those giant lasers on the side, you basically have to maneuver your ship with God-like precision (which means your nose gun sights will RARELY align with your side lasers)

I was a huge proponent of the 325a but after dog fighting with it. It's basically a 'i hope i hit you on the first pass b/c if not, yolo, I'm outta here' *furiously smashes thrusters then realizes has 10 missles locked on and can't outrun those, blows up*

As my original package, I'm seriously deciding on melting it or changing. As it flies now, it's pretty much worthless. The Aurora handles better.....sad.

PS: It's still a sexy ship....just a worthless sexy ship.

• 2 months later...

Started flying it with HOTAS which is impossible to do.

Switched over to mouse and keyboard and now i have the feeling of getting better and better.

Mount 3 x Omniski VI lasers and with only a few hits you can do massive damage.

What i really need to focus on is only firing when needed, else you have lots of problems with power management.

Also the maneuvering should be top priority. Making long turns so you wont lose speed cause then we are sitting ducks with not much feathers to protect ourselves.

Not many problems with dodging missilies though, the flares do wonders. Wait a bit for incoming, launch flare and make small turn + boost.

Im starting to like it very much.

THough i would love to get my hands on a 350R just for the +80 speed... :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Started flying it with HOTAS which is impossible to do.

Switched over to mouse and keyboard and now i have the feeling of getting better and better.

Mount 3 x Omniski VI lasers and with only a few hits you can do massive damage.

What i really need to focus on is only firing when needed, else you have lots of problems with power management.

Also the maneuvering should be top priority. Making long turns so you wont lose speed cause then we are sitting ducks with not much feathers to protect ourselves.

Not many problems with dodging missilies though, the flares do wonders. Wait a bit for incoming, launch flare and make small turn + boost.

Im starting to like it very much.

THough i would love to get my hands on a 350R just for the +80 speed... :wub:

The 325 is still my favorite ship to fly with my HOTAS, especially with the thruster microstick on the throttle. It's incredibly responsive, but you really have to actively fly it. It will kill you if you're careless around asteroids.

Will be nice when they fix it. Almost no cooling and no armour makes it a pretty useless dogfighter right now.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally love it. I test flew all of the other starting Light fighters but I just keep coming back to the 325a. The ability to simply flit about (so long as you're actively working the controls in a manner befitting) is just so fantastic, and MAN do those cannons on the wingtips pack a wallop. I can't wait to see what the advanced targeting system does!

I have a philosophy when it comes to nearly all shooter games - The best defense is being untargetable. The best offense is an unbeatable defense. Death by a thousand papercuts while I run rings around you is my favorite tactic.

That being said - the current design is like glass. It doesn't fall apart as easily as some people say, but it's no Hornet. So you do take a risk in that a lucky shot WILL ruin your day. But your opponent better be REALLY lucky.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's such a beautiful ship...I agree at first it was difficult to use (and bugs didn't help) but after some time getting used to it and a lot of patience I can say it's one of my favorite ships! It does take a lot of practice and a bit of customization to overcome some initial frustrations though.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...