VoA

Galactic Inquiry ep015 . Live Chat! + Dirt on CIG :(

The Main Galactic Inquiry ep015 . Live Chat! - should be posted soon (now just posting the Promo + will replace it with full vid when posted - or someone else can post it first if they would like) Below...

But also wanted to post some "Dirt" on CIG. Most that know my posts know that I am very positive about CIG... and yes - I've been accused of being a salesperson for CIG with the Phoenix and Reclaimer + MISC: Endeavor reveals :)

As we all know Chris Roberts is extremely passionate / ambitious / perfectionist / workaholic (like most of us - ;) )... and it is understandable that the image below is actually a truth telling reveal. Does this make CIG a bad company --- NO IT DOES NOT

It means that our hard earn $ that we give as Pledges to Star Citizen is actually being stretched as far as it can go with Chris Roberts enforcing an extremely passionate / ambitious / perfectionist / workaholic - work environment at CIG. Does that mean the DEVs and employees of CIG work harder than most the gaming industry...... YES..... and that's a Good Thing ... (for us backers at least)...

We can tell that every employee there works very hard and is getting exhausted as CR pushes them onwards..... Does that mean that some DEVs employees find that a "Toxic" environment..... sure..... they are human after all - aren't they? We know that Chris Olivia (Chief Visual Officer) [not sure why he left] and Michael Morlan (of Galactic Inquiry and WMH) [WMH was canceled and he didn't want to move to Santa Monica]... has left CIG... as has David Hobbins (Concept Artist) [Got a great job doing concept art for the new Star Wars movie]. Each had their own reasons and had other offers ... or couldn't move to the Santa Monica office... or whatever real life issues...... ---- IT HAPPENS TO ALL COMPANIES........

I am posting it because it is Truth Revealing...... but understand the Context.... and I for one don't really see it as a Negative for CIG - just a hard-working / driven work environment.

What is interesting is Michael Morlan writing this recently (comment at the bottom) and him putting his show on hold (going to Indonesia so it may not be related). One thing that is "truth be told" - is that if he truly had a bad parting with CIG then he wouldn't have produced 15 episodes of his shows and had various CIG guests on his shows..... so again - don't see this is as a negative....

Increase the size of the image to read it.....

90b67d748a.jpg

http://youtu.be/rSKelZzv-nw

again the internet is being emo about stuff they  know nothing about

every mmo fired a lot of people after launch especially the support department  

I didn't know that usa was a 3.world  country and small kids has to work in the programming/concept art sweatshops 

whatever CIG does the internet will  some way whine about it 

if you are a freelancer don't expect a 4 year contract on art design 

it just feels like  click bait

what's even worse is that there a 1000 of nurses etc working double shifts without being a huge sissy 

I think you have to look at the nature of the industry too. The entertainment industry whether it be movies or games is a really hard industry. Theres lots of costs and expenses that go into making the products. I don't think it is fair to trash your employer because you in the end signed the contract.

So ... this is just about Elijah McNeal's reason on why he quit and now makes toxic comments about CIG? Does he not know that talking smack about former employers has the potential to hurt him when he's trying to find another job as a concept artist?

What's posted on the internet stays on the internet... for decades.

He should have known that work in the gaming industry is always a temporary assignment. Heck, I had a job for over 8 years (not gaming industry) and they cancelled my contract simply because I became too expensive.

So ... this is just about Elijah McNeal's reason on why he quit and now makes toxic comments about CIG? Does he not know that talking smack about former employers has the potential to hurt him when he's trying to find another job as a concept artist?

Ya not to bright of him to post this..... same thought with Michael Morlan's post at the bottom..... If CIG sees this (and I am sure they will)... then it might hurt his chances to get more CIG guests on his show (and he may also loose much of his viewership... and it maybe self destructing to his show as well).

Ya not to bright of him to post this..... same thought with Michael Morlan's post at the bottom..... If CIG sees this (and I am sure they will)... then it might hurt his chances to get more CIG guests on his show (and he may also loose much of his viewership... and it maybe self destructing to his show as well).

Heh, didn't even notice Mike's comment until you pointed it out to me! :P

Yeah, if that was aimed at CIG it's not overly smart to make comments like that while still hosting a show that has close attachments to the same company... However I think Mike was referring to the gaming industry in general.

There is a discussion about whether Mike's comment was about CIG in particular or the industry in general. Well, if you're unhappy working somewhere why being mad about it?

I'm wondering that this hasn't hit the RSI forums yet, though there is this topic that talks about former employees and one comment is that these did either find another job, didn't want to move or simply their contract ended.

Anyway 2 out of 270 people are mad about it. Doesn't look worrying to me.

I don't think these comments are as disparaging as people think.

Folks simply make fun of their situation in life.

Those kinds of statements are absilutely common about this industry - because those conditions are absolutely common.

It's the nature of game development. You gotta read them through the eyes of a developer, not as a lay person.

I personally know a few game devs, and they (and many private sector non-game devs) all have the same story.

When they talk about shit hours, and their buddies are like "yeah, sucks a bag of D", it's not like they're saying anything the others don't already know for themselves.

Heck, I myself worked 4 months straight on-site for a project (5 states away from home, living in a hotel). It's not like I was paid for my lost personal time.

-scheherazade

I honestly think the main problem that people have when they see this stuff related to CIG is that it's not an "idealistic" situation for creating a game that is...powered by idealism. Everything from the kickstarter/original RSI page crowdfunding, to the sales messages, to the continued video programs, to the transparency, to the hugely dedicated community all seem to push for an "idealistic" view of how the game is being developed.

The fact is, if the work environment wasn't hard or high-pressure, then nothing would get done on time. If Chris Roberts and the management team didn't demand exceptional performance from their employees, shit wouldn't get done. I don't know about anyone else here, but I've worked in the tech industry before (not same as game development, I know) but the mentality of many employees is the same.  You sit, staring at screens all day long, and tend to want to have up multiple windows, including things like Youtube, Twitch, Facebook, etc... that tend to wear down efficiency and focus. Without hard direction and tough deadlines, nothing gets done very quickly...period.

Finally, I have to agree with some people here. If a concept artist is getting bent out of shape because he was let go of a game that is still in development, I think he should be looking harder at HIMSELF than at the company. If he is not accustomed to how the gaming industry works, then sure he's gonna bitch about long work hours, lower pay for concept artists, etc...when he needs to understand THAT IS THE REALITY.

If you look at his "Meet Elijah McNeal" profile on RSI  https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13373-Meet-Elijah-McNeal , you'll notice one key problem...THIS IS HIS FIRST JOB OUT OF UNIVERSITY.  Oh, and he got it because he knew Chris Olivia... The guy obviously had unreasonable expectations, or was unprepared for what the industry had in store. He definitely needs to get his act together, because making a disparaging Facebook post about your FIRST JOB IN THE GAMING INDUSTRY is a great way to get zero calls for interviews.

The fact is, if the work environment wasn't hard or high-pressure, then nothing would get done on time.....

.. I think he should be looking harder at HIMSELF than at the company. ....

If you look at his "Meet Elijah McNeal" profile on RSI ....you'll notice one key problem...THIS IS HIS FIRST JOB OUT OF UNIVERSITY. Oh, and he got it because he knew Chris Olivia...

GREAT Post! ...plus this point above should be noted by everyone that may need to move on from their first job... See full post above,,,

Plus here is the full video now posted

http://youtu.be/rSKelZzv-nw

There's heaps of people working double shifts and/or complaining about their paycheck. Working on an ambitious project like this automatically leads to these kind of complaints... Imo, if you're ambitious and passionate about a project, be it a game or movie or world's largest skyscraper, the journey and end result will be a part of your paycheck.

Not to mention the more than positive entry on your resume, having worked on a project like that. He should be honored working on SC, I know I would be...

The grass isn't always greener on the other side!

One mans "toxic" environment is another mans "efficient" environment and so on. I don't think anyone knows what truly goes on behind closed doors but a lot of the time the toxicity comes from the individual themselves. A fundamental non-understanding and unwillingness to adapt can create an ill feeling and then stubbornness keeps it there until something breaks.

This situation occurs everywhere though. A company makes a change, employee doesn't like any form of change, drags heels, relationship breaks down and then employee leaves. 99% of the time it can be avoided.

I don't see any issue here. Standard office politics.