Anvil Aerospace Crucible - Concept Art Ideas for CIG [POLL]

VoA

Anvil Aerospace Crucible - Concept Art Ideas for CIG [POLL]  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Bubble Pod idea for the Anvil Aerospace Crucible ?

• Yes I like the Modular Concept
    • No
  2. 2. Anvil Aerospace Crucible could be a small ship that can be Hauled as Cargo inside Larger Ships

• Yes I like the idea of it being a small ship that can be hauled as Cargo in a Larger ship
    • No
  3. 3. Do you like the price range of $25-$50 for the Anvil Aerospace Crucible?

• Yes - This is a speciality ship. That way i can purchase more to form a "Miller ERS (External Repair Structure)"
    • No

In yesterday's Letter from the Chairman - Chris Roberts (CR) unveiled the description of the Anvil Aerospace Crucible

capsela-04.jpg

Adding onto this I would like to propose the above "Capsela" like Concept Art as a suggestion to CIG to consider:

• Each Anvil Aerospace Crucible "ship" could consist of (3) "Capsela" like Bubble Pods each 3 meters in Diameter with (2) Connectors to form CR's -- "(P1 = Straight section, P2= Left turn, P3 = Right turn, etc.)" This can form optional modular configurations for the "Miller ERS (External Repair Structure)" as CR has defined.  1st Bubble Pod would be the Pilot (for maneuvering and for ship manipulation of the damage ship to be repaired with extendable robotic arms).  2nd Bubble Pod would be a non-inhabitable pod for the Power Plant, Tractor Beam Hardpoint, Avionics, Life Support, Ship Systems, Etc...  3rd Bubble Pod would be a Workstation and 2nd crew member for EVA and Workshop repairs == MAX Crew of 2.  Per CR = "Structurally, the Crucible consists of a cockpit, drive unit and workshop."
  • Anvil Aerospace Crucible "ship" would be a small ship (with 3 Bubble Pods + Connectors) only 11 meters in length in the Strait modular Section configuration and only 3m (one bubble pod) in width.
  • Anvil Aerospace Crucible "ship" should have no Main Thrusters and No Option for a Jump Engine (only maneuvering thrusters).  As of result of this and its potential of being a "compact" ship the  Crucible "ship" should be able to be loaded into any Cargo hold of any ship in which it can fit - and thus deployed from that said ship.
  • Anvil Aerospace Crucible "ship" should be very inexpensive do to its size, restrictions and specialty and suggest a price range from $25-$50.  This would allow people to purchase "many"  Crucible "ships" so people can connect them together and form the Array or "latticework" of Crucible(s) for larger repair projects :)

========================

Please Vote in the [POLL] and also vote in the Sister Thread on the RSI Forums.  Add any comments or other ideas below - Thanks :)

I highly doubt it'll be in the 25-50 dollar range. 

The idea is to get people to buy "many of them".... to form the  "Miller ERS (External Repair Structure)" as CR has defined. 

Another factor is that CR put on the list for a 3rd Starter ship... but was voted out (rightfully so)... this is an alternative to the other "expensive" Concept ships.

+++ The "repair" ship having a combat role (other than repair) really makes no sense.... and it doesn't need a big processing plant like the Reclaimer so it doesn't have to be a large ship (thus the specialty, lack of combat, no need for cargo, etc...) all justify the lower price range for the ship - don't you think?

Otherwise - what do you think the price range should be and why (in compared to other ships as well) ?

I think VoA is totally right about that ship.

Though it's not a real starter ship it may work as an emergency backup ship when you are nearly broke.

e.g. people that have lost their main ship due the lack of insurance :D may use it to get some "easy" money by being a repair bear for a couple of hours/days.

Anvil Aerospace Crucible – A so-called “flying toolbox,”... is very much needed and is an exciting concept ship ().  I am really impressed with CR's write up and have some ideas to suggest to CIG about the Anvil Aerospace Crucible (Concept Art) and the Miller ERS (External Repair Structure) (Concept Art).  Here are some other ideas to build on this...

• I'd like to see the Crucible be a Two Man MAX Crew Ship- One as the Pilot (to maneuver it - but then that pilot can help with the Workshop and the other Crew be an EVA / Workshop worker).
  • I'd like to see the Crucible be no bigger than an Avenger however it should have "fingers" or "extensions" (ideally mechanical working appendages).
  • Do to its small size and specialized use it should be a ship that cost under $100 (to also encourage people to buy many... many of them).
  • Miller ERS (External Repair Structure) is designed to have multiple Anvil Aerospace Crucible's work together - thus the low price and small size and small crew requirement would encourage these to function as a group as oppose to a solo Crucible.
  • It shouldn't be set up for combat capabilities (not much need for weapons or shields) - but it should really maximize its function with tractors beams, working arms, EVA options, Workbot repair drones (like the Reclaimer), etc...
  • To have an interesting twist on is "long range" abilities... I would suggest that it have an option to "fold up" or be compact - so it is NOT a ship with a Jump Engine - but can be hauled around as Cargo in the Cargo hold of other ships. == This would also encourage people to have multiple Crucibles (but would obliviously take up cargo space in the other ship).

What do you think and do you have any other ideas :gr_cheers:

I do like the idea of keeping the crew small.  But to be effective, I think the ship needs to be at at least the size of freelancer.  As for defense, I think having 1 class 4 or 5 should be enough.  With the turret, it would have crew of 4, pilot, gunner, 2 mechanics.  Also keep in mind shield might protect you from environmental damage.  As for not havng JP, that will detract people from getting this ship.

I do like the idea of keeping the crew small.  But to be effective, I think the ship needs to be at at least the size of freelancer.  As for defense, I think having 1 class 4 or 5 should be enough.  With the turret, it would have crew of 4, pilot, gunner, 2 mechanics.  Also keep in mind shield might protect you from environmental damage.  As for not havng JP, that will detract people from getting this ship.

I modified the idea slightly per the link Idea EDIT - see Link in Red above... Also has some better explainations as well

• I'd like to see the Crucible be no bigger than an Avenger however it should have "fingers" or "extensions" (ideally mechanical working appendages).
  • Do to its small size and specialized use it should be a ship that cost under $100 (to also encourage people to buy many... many of them).
  • To have an interesting twist on is "long range" abilities... I would suggest that it have an option to "fold up" or be compact - so it is NOT a ship with a Jump Engine - but can be hauled around as Cargo in the Cargo hold of other ships. == This would also encourage people to have multiple Crucibles (but would obliviously take up cargo space in the other ship).

What do you think and do you have any other ideas :gr_cheers:

I like your ideas, smaller ship = cheaper = more people get it :)

For "long range" ...

folding up is a bit to complicated to build into the game.

Why not just use the tractor beams and repair arms to mount it on a larger ship:

post-2915-0-18058100-1413417871.jpg

Pros:

Less complicated to make the model for this ship

Lots of larger ships have docking rings

Looks awesome

Cons:

May be difficult to make the connection between the two ships

Can mess up the flight dynamics of the "carrier" ship

I like your ideas, smaller ship = cheaper = more people get it :)

For "long range" ...

folding up is a bit to complicated to build into the game.

Why not just use the tractor beams and repair arms to mount it on a larger ship:

attachicon.gifSpace_Shuttle_Discovery.jpg

Pros:

Less complicated to make the model for this ship

Lots of larger ships have docking rings

Looks awesome

Cons:

May be difficult to make the connection between the two ships

Can mess up the flight dynamics of the "carrier" ship

Like this Idea... and want to share it on the Sister Thread on the RSI Forums. - Thanks :)

In today's 10FTC (below) about 17m in CR talks about the Crucible possibly be able to repair some severe damage completely in space (where if you didn't have a repair ship or only repair bots).... you would otherwise have to go to a space dock or planet side to get full repairs (beyond cosmetic repairs).

Separate point of discussion from previous post (thus didn't edit it into previous post).

From the RSI Sister Thread (a good post by Jimmy)

JimmyJyal_James

Posted: 1:46AM

Ok, I'm new to this so please don't shut me down too harshly.

I'm not really in love with the bubble look, but do support the modular design. I like how it is proposed to to compact enough to fit in most cargo holds.

I saw a tradies ute driving in front of me this arvo with scaffolding in the back. For all you Americans, it would of been like a contractors pick-up truck. That's how I would expect a Crucible to feel.

A small two seater with compact work platforms stacked in the back and tethered toolbox. The pilot would maneuver the ship into position and control an arm with the magnetic gripper to lock it in place. The co-pilot would operate an arm mounted between the tray and cabin to unpack the first work platform that will lock onto the co-pilots side of the ship.

My idea for the work platforms are to be packet flat and when locked into place will self erect.

The Crucible will be able to carry three work platforms and be able to maintain life support and light shielding for a maximum of eight or so. Additional work platforms could be stored in a store-all mini and can be dropped off by an Aurora or via tractor beam from a larger ships.

Sphears waist so much room in shipping. A boxier more square shap would work better.

The shape isn't as important as the 3 modular sections. The spheres would look very cool when multiple Crucibles form into optional modular configuration for the "Miller ERS (External Repair Structure)" as CR has defined. The Spheres would also be able to form an irregular multi-crucible array around an irregular ship that it need to repair (squares would limit the shape of the array more). Spheres are also the most desirable shape for achieving maximum internal volume with less material and less weight (making the Crucible a cheap ship to manufacture and repair). If you look at the Xi'An Khartu-Al cockpit design - the crucible could also be mostly transparent for the pilot and allow pilot rotational seat movement within the sphere (maybe CIG could borrow some of its assets from one ship to the other). This may mean that the Crucible wants to be a MISC ship (since they partner with Xi'-An tech) instead of an Anvil ship (not sure if that can be changed at this early stage - but it probably could be).

If it had to be square modules (for some reason)... then maybe have the top and bottom of the cubes be solid and the other sides of the cube be transparent :)

• 2 weeks later...

As a "Flying Toolbox" this should under no circumstances be made to be anyone's PO Boy ship as we have plenty of those already. "Capsela" is not what I would think of as being very forward thinking in terms of a progressively modular design and the term "Flying Toolbox" I believe should encompass exactly that. Thinking outside the box as it were while utilizing far more current technologies should be our most basic of benchmarks in design. No insults intended but this should be a more modular design being self contained and ready to deploy without a whole lot of mechanics involved in what could very easily be stored in any cargo hold.

Given Chris Roberts description of a ship that could be deployed as a self extracting scaffolding configuration it occurs to me that Clunky ship based design doesn't exactly seem the best approach to take for something of this nature. The entire configuration should have tech which would allow a revision of tractor beam technology to be deployed and reconfigured throughout as the actual scaffold cross members using a far more eloquent means of deployment and control.

Remote Power and Control apparatus would be situated in a central pod which would be capable to deploy dozens of smaller orbs interconnected with their associated orbs via tractor beam tech to form a range scalable scaffold web section that could be expanded, constricted or married to other webs to configure to a predetermined range. Welding Lasers arrays and the like could also be configured into each orb allowing for a concerted effort by all orbs over an affected area and could be manipulated remotely from a rescue vessel or even from the ship being repaired. Micro repairs and the like require a far smaller schema of Nanites that could be used to effect electronic repairs and the like and would be also deployed directly from their respective orbs.

The design should allow for an entire predetermined number of orbs which when deployed could be sized within a range rather than an absolute value of distance between orbs. This would allow for a scalable mesh matrix that could then be added to others to increase their overall size when needed for capital ships of far greater size. All of this would be housed in a single pod that could then be transported on virtually any vessel with adequate cargo space. Advanced Technologies are what has driven this game thus far and I see no logical reason to depart from that concept. This particular creation should be one that embraces the full spectrum of advanced technological capabilities to include the use of nano technologies.

This in my opinion will keep this a small compact design while allowing for an unlimited number of configurations that could be implemented on any ship designs currently in the stables already and those that will be added as we progress forward with additions to include the Corvette's. It would furthermore justify a smaller price point making them highly convenient to own as many as are needed for ALL fleet sizes. IMHO

As a "Flying Toolbox" this should under no circumstances be made to be anyone's PO Boy ship as we have plenty of those already. "Capsela" is not what I would think of as being very forward thinking in terms of a progressively modular design and the term "Flying Toolbox" I believe should encompass exactly that. Thinking outside the box as it were while utilizing far more current technologies should be our most basic of benchmarks in design. No insults intended but this should be a more modular design being self contained and ready to deploy without a whole lot of mechanics involved in what could very easily be stored in any cargo hold.

Given Chris Roberts description of a ship that could be deployed as a self extracting scaffolding configuration it occurs to me that Clunky ship based design doesn't exactly seem the best approach to take for something of this nature. The entire configuration should have tech which would allow a revision of tractor beam technology to be deployed and reconfigured throughout as the actual scaffold cross members using a far more eloquent means of deployment and control.

Remote Power and Control apparatus would be situated in a central pod which would be capable to deploy dozens of smaller orbs interconnected with their associated orbs via tractor beam tech to form a range scalable scaffold web section that could be expanded, constricted or married to other webs to configure to a predetermined range. Welding Lasers arrays and the like could also be configured into each orb allowing for a concerted effort by all orbs over an affected area and could be manipulated remotely from a rescue vessel or even from the ship being repaired. Micro repairs and the like require a far smaller schema of Nanites that could be used to effect electronic repairs and the like and would be also deployed directly from their respective orbs.

The design should allow for an entire predetermined number of orbs which when deployed could be sized within a range rather than an absolute value of distance between orbs. This would allow for a scalable mesh matrix that could then be added to others to increase their overall size when needed for capital ships of far greater size. All of this would be housed in a single pod that could then be transported on virtually any vessel with adequate cargo space. Advanced Technologies are what has driven this game thus far and I see no logical reason to depart from that concept. This particular creation should be one that embraces the full spectrum of advanced technological capabilities to include the use of nano technologies.

This in my opinion will keep this a small compact design while allowing for an unlimited number of configurations that could be implemented on any ship designs currently in the stables already and those that will be added as we progress forward with additions to include the Corvette's. It would furthermore justify a smaller price point making them highly convenient to own as many as are needed for ALL fleet sizes. IMHO

I like your ides - but they are essentially the same ideas as mine. Inter-connected modular Orbs. The only difference I see between your concept idea and the OP is the fact that you think the modules (or Orbs) should be connected with tractor beams that could expand and contract (which is a cool idea) - rather than my proposal as locking / unlocking joints. Correct?

Actually, your design seemed to utilize a couple of primary spheres whereas mine is reduced to one which is controlled remotely and is completely self contained taking up far less room in a cargo hold. The tractor beams would form the cross members between orbs as well as anchor points to the hull of whatever ship they were being deployed on. The rest of the work is deployed and performed via the automated intelligent controls which can detect structural and systems damage and would deploy and control what tractor beams, lasers and Nanites that would be needed for the particular diagnostic recommendations of the system. Rigid constructs would take a long time to be built whereas this configuration could be deployed as well as repacked in minutes for storage. Some have complained about using a sphere as the shape to use as it is a waste of cargo storage space and this I would agree with so a Cubed design with rounded edges would be best and would increase the I.D. to enclose even more orbs than a spherical design could contain.

Your concept, and correct me if I am wrong, appeared to require a human physical presence onboard the Crucible. My concpet makes this an automated system requiring only Human deployment via a launcher/receiver for boarding and deboarding the Crucible from the cargo hold. The fact that they are somewhat similar has more to do with Chris Roberts vision and description than anything else as far as I can tell.

Actually, your design seemed to utilize a couple of primary spheres whereas mine is reduced to one which is controlled remotely and is completely self contained taking up far less room in a cargo hold. The tractor beams would form the cross members between orbs as well as anchor points to the hull of whatever ship they were being deployed on. The rest of the work is deployed and performed via the automated intelligent controls which can detect structural and systems damage and would deploy and control what tractor beams, lasers and Nanites that would be needed for the particular diagnostic recommendations of the system. Rigid constructs would take a long time to be built whereas this configuration could be deployed as well as repacked in minutes for storage. Some have complained about using a sphere as the shape to use as it is a waste of cargo storage space and this I would agree with so a Cubed design with rounded edges would be best and would increase the I.D. to enclose even more orbs than a spherical design could contain.

Your concept, and correct me if I am wrong, appeared to require a human physical presence onboard the Crucible. My concpet makes this an automated system requiring only Human deployment via a launcher/receiver for boarding and deboarding the Crucible from the cargo hold. The fact that they are somewhat similar has more to do with Chris Roberts vision and description than anything else as far as I can tell.

^^ Great ideas.  I was thinking that there needs to be at least 3 modular parts to form CR's -- "(P1 = Straight section, P2= Left turn, P3 = Right turn, etc.)" .  Two of the 3 modules would be inhabitable.  One would be for a pilot and the other as a workshop.  The third would be for ship systems / power plant / etc... (per OP).

Mechanical structures such as that will take considerable time to erect. Time you won't want to have to be waiting for when you have a Reclaimer descending into your area just like what was displayed in the first FPS vid. Everyone will want something that can be quickly deployed and stowed in order to get repaired and back into the game asap. With the utilization of tractor beam arrays the scaffolding can literally take on any geometric configuration required and would not be limited to pre-bent joint sections. Imagine if you will a cube shaped drone that is remotely controlled from virtually any craft of speed. The drone is launched from its docking clamps and deployed to the wreckage and immediately conducts a diagnostic scan of the damaged ship to include all structural and systems detail comparing it against known configurations in your ships computer database. Parts are delivered to spec and the drone deploys its matrix which immediately unloads the necessary parts and begins repair operations to their conclusion. You get paid, the ship is back on its way and you can retract all orbs back to the drone hosting vessel to redock and you are onto the next emergency call. Easy Peasy in and out.

Mechanical structures such as that will take considerable time to erect. Time you won't want to have to be waiting for when you have a Reclaimer descending into your area just like what was displayed in the first FPS vid. Everyone will want something that can be quickly deployed and stowed in order to get repaired and back into the game asap. With the utilization of tractor beam arrays the scaffolding can literally take on any geometric configuration required and would not be limited to pre-bent joint sections. Imagine if you will a cube shaped drone that is remotely controlled from virtually any craft of speed. The drone is launched from its docking clamps and deployed to the wreckage and immediately conducts a diagnostic scan of the damaged ship to include all structural and systems detail comparing it against known configurations in your ships computer database. Parts are delivered to spec and the drone deploys its matrix which immediately unloads the necessary parts and begins repair operations to their conclusion. You get paid, the ship is back on its way and you can retract all orbs back to the drone hosting vessel to redock and you are onto the next emergency call. Easy Peasy in and out.

Great Ideas - I saw you had your first post on RSI but make sure you have this posted on the Sister Thread on the RSI Forums as well :)

Of course! B)  I too would like to see SC become the best game on the planet! FYI - I actually work as an Aerospace Engineer IRL and as a huge Trekkie I often day dream of such things in color. ;)

Nice... I am an architect / aerospace engineer (and actually a pilot too) - in real life  - when I can fit work into my gaming schedule that is :P   I am a Trekkie too but my favorite Sci-Fi series was Babylon 5 :wub:

Not sure if CIG will see our thread on RSI but they might..... We know that Ben saw our Polls on the Redeemer..... and thus..... it may have helped push out the first 10 days of the Redeemer being on sale with LTI :) .... about 750+ voted and around 75% voted for an LTI sale :)

I've been promoting the threads on the Star Citizen Fan Page on Facebook and throughout my own syndicate so we shall see what develops if anything as far as CIG interest. At present I am in travel mode flying around the country performing Safety of Flight Qaul Test Witnessing so I fill my dead time on here perusing the threads in search of interesting conversations or ideas.

• 9 months later...

On RTV ep 59 today Ben mentioned that the Crucible will function as a Tug ship in addition to a repair ship.  He also in-directly mentioned that the concept sale will be during Citizencon (after the Endeavor - which should be before).... and before the Prowler (which which is the last of wave 4 concept ships) ... .... and he mentioned there will indeed be a concept sale during Citizencon so this must be it.

• 2 weeks later...

All I know is that I have recently decided I will be looking into the mechanic profession as a primary role so the Crucible is on my radar. Since I am looking into being a mechanic I think salvaging would be a smart secondary role... So I will be looking into that as well.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk