Anvil Aerospace Crucible

NuclearWoo

I am going to assume scaffolding will be it's own module.  On the intro page, back section you get is call scarab module and like hull series and endeavor, fully expandable.

I know talking about specs now is pointless but after watching the stream, I think this ship will need more than 4 for its crew.

I wouldn't be surprised if the scaffolding would be its own module or a variant. Considering the amount of space the scarab takes, there's likely an alternative that would use that space to facilitate a scaffolding system. If anything, I'm sure that they'll address it in the Crucible's Q&A.

6 hours ago, Mapleguy said:

I would love the Crucible. I for one, like the look. But I tend to not be TOO picky. I do love they way the repair mechanic is going though. Maybe something I'll do one day.

Feel free to look me up when you want to do that mechanic.  I was hoping to use my crucible as a forward repair base for major imperium fights between combat runs or a main job if I do not improve as a pilot.  You will be welcome to a seat on my ship.

Anvil Crucible Q&A - Roberts Space Industries

Spoiler

ANVIL CRUCIBLE Q&A

AnvilcrucibleREARMAINTENANCE.jpg

Concept Art - Blueprint - GeneralConcept Art - Blueprint - General

Greetings Citizens,

On Thursday, we kicked off the concept sale for the new Anvil Crucible repair ship. Today, we’ll be answering questions collected on the forums. If you’re interested in further details of the new repair mechanic, please check out the design post here. Special thanks to designers Calix Renau and Randy Vasquez for taking the time to answer these questions. Enjoy!

If the Crucible has the enclosed repair bay installed, can it navigate a jump point with a ship in the bay?

Yes, at that point, the ship will be treated like cargo since it will be landed and locked down within the enclosure. The only impact to the Crucible’s performance will be any changes resulting from the increase in total mass.

To what extent will a Crucible crew be able to repair damages sustained to their own hull and components?

The Crucible can repair anything… except itself. Really makes you think. No, there’s a good amount of capacity for self-repair. Internal components are fully accessible for repair, and most minor damage should be handled by the ship itself through use of EVA, onboard tools and drones. Major hull repair might require a dry dock visit or another Crucible, as the repair arms don’t reach the entire ship.

Can the garage unit be left “floating” in space while the Crucible repairs larger ships like the Constellation?

Yes, the Crucible garage is meant to be able to undock and re-dock. But to repair larger ships, one does not necessarily need to undock from the garage, the larger ship repair arms and drones should be used in making repairs on ships larger.

What’s the largest ship a Crucible can repair? How are ships larger than this repaired?

Right now, we have fit in most of the single seater ships without issue, but the Cutlass actually fits within the garage with the top open. We are still in development designing the details of the Crucible and when the ship starts to be built up more we will be able to release more detailed dimensions on the garage and clearances within. Part of the ‘in world’ design spec was that it needed to handle all of the military single seaters, with a particular focus on the Anvil designs; as a result, you can be sure it’ll hold the Hornet and Gladiator!

From the sales page, “… which will be necessary for larger repair and salvage operations.” Can we expect a different salvage scrab module in the future?

The ship will have limited salvage capabilities due to salvage and repair sharing some actions and mechanics. But we will be going into more detail on salvage hopefully soon. Stay tuned!

Will the AI be able to perform either role described in the “Ship Repair and Maintenance” post? (AKA, can I operate the Crucible solo)

Eventually, yes, although no AI crew will ever be as efficient as humans working together. To answer the question more broadly, the Cutlass is specifically designed for a single captain to both operate and engage in repair tasks… hence the ‘moving restaurant’ design that lets the main set change between the forward view and an overview of the Scarab.

Will be able to repair fighters en-route or will we need to be stationary until the repairs are complete?

Right now we plan for external repairs to be done while the ships are stationary. But we do plan to allow for fixing smaller ships within the garage during transit. Think of the Crucible as a dry dock for small ships, and scaffolding for larger ships. Ships that fit inside the garage can properly land, and so will move with the crucible.

Does the Crucible still have the Miller ERS or the towing capabilities?

“Yes.” The Miller ERS has been replaced by repair drones while we explore how to meaningfully enable construction actions on the scale implied by the Miller ERS. We have also discussed how towing might be handled, but don’t have solid answers on that implementation yet. Towing actions are likely to be fairly limited for a single ship, if they are ultimately factored in at all. We are also thinking about a dedicated tug variant, which would replace the Scarab with towing equipment.

Is there any gameplay that would require multiple Crucibles to be working in unison?

The crucible is capable of repairing a majority of damages attained by a ship. We do not have multi-Crucible gameplay in our plans for the near future, but we are looking ahead to scenarios where multiple ships might more quickly repair a crippled, larger capital ship (such as a Bengal.)

Can I use my Reclaimer to salvage ship components and then use my Crucible to reassemble them?

The Crucible does not fabricate components, it can only repair components that already exist. So, “yes”, but you will use the salvage materials to repair other components, not to assemble new ones. We are still in the process of designing Salvage, but ideally we want both systems to work in tandem so that one could salvage materials and then use those same materials in repairing another ship.

How long do you anticipate it taking to repair a single heavy damaged hornet?

Our current balance plans suggest that a Crucible with a repair crew of one would probably need fifteen minutes to repair a heavily damaged Hornet. A full crew would find it a struggle to repair the same ship faster than 2 or 3 minutes. Note that these are early ‘whiteboard’ estimates that will likely change significantly once the system is in place and tested by the community.

Posted: 8:07AM

Hey guys, read through this and took some notes. The Crucible is an interesting ship and you are correct in that it is meant for short-mid range operations as fuel capacity would suggest. But we are still designing the ship and will make adjustments when it gets to that point. 

Ideally, if the ship is operating at long range, then fuel could be stored on board the ship, also the idea that it would be working in tandem with other ships to get a job done is what we want to have. Anytime we can have ships support one another and have players playing together instead of having players just playing solo helps feed into the universe more.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6113383/#Comment_6113383

rvazquez_cig

Staff

Civilian.png
icon-none.png
icon-none.png

Posted: 12:44PM

The Crucible is designed for field operations, meaning that they will focus on patching up armor, sub-components, and basic run of the mill components that can be used by any ship. Components will not be able to be fabricated, but the Crucible should be able to help get the ship limping along to make it back to port.

The use of materials, will be very much like future 3D printing, except that one can and will be able to salvage some of those materials to restock. 

Please take all of this with a grain of salt, as systems are still being designed and will be tweaked to fit the universe as well as the ships.

• 3 months later...

I think what detracts me from the look is that the lines don't feel like Anvil. The Carrack, Hornets, Gladiator have very similar appearances. /// Plus.... Is there a function to the unused gap in front of the manta ray?  Couldn't they have closed that off as storage for raw material, or maybe an additional smaller repair bay for Aurora size ships.  "To each his own."  

EDIT: looks like someone had the same idea only with pictures. . https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/310544/let-s-talk-crazy-a-crucible-with-two-scarab-bays#latest

neet idea, however the extra engines on the side are not needed, just make the current engines bigger

and if you have any worries about the ship not being able to go forward because one of the side engines was destroyed, the 'prongs' can be made bigger so they can have a decient sized thruster inside, simailer to what the hull series have

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  They updated the Production Schedule to include this tidbit for 3.2

"Repair – Repair damaged ship via tools (later implementation will incorporate the Crucible), repair damaged satellites or stations."

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report 

So it seems they will roll out hull repairs using the hand tool first and no definite time Build number  for when the Crucible will be fully operational.