MISC Endeavor

Flatfoot

Personally, I would never melt a jump if I owned one. It's limited in number and won't see a sale ever again.

This doesnt matter. A 890J is not a blue mauritius stamp. You can get em with ingame bucks.

And... a 890J cant support the Imperium... the Endeavor can. The 890J has no really useful function... but this was my decision. ;)

Doubtful since it has no jump drive you could never get it out of the system and is likely too large for even a hull e to transport.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

TIME TO BE CREATIVE :D:D:D

How about this....

Get a reclaimer... put the parts up in the ass of it... and fly to the Endeavor, and jettison all of it :D  

imo they are being overly cautious with the sale of this one. Some of the answers were already detailed prior to Q&A but seem they rly want to make sure there is no misunderstanding/confusion over what can fit and what cannot. 

Id rather they focus on the depth of gameplay aspects bei it farming or zero gravity experiment or biology study or whatever. Hopefully in the next Q&As.

The Concept Ship Q&A's are rarely very informative. They only seem to answer the most common, the most obvious, and the most "safe" questions.

I've submitted at least a dozen questions for the various Q&A's, and none of them have been answered. Admittedly, some of my questions are phrased critically, something like "Why did you design the ship like that, when it makes more sense to design it like this." That sorta thing. CIG probably doesn't want to want to answer questions like that -- especially if they don't have a face-saving answer.

I submitted a question: Why does the Biodome module have domes instead of spheres?

Why only have a biodome on the dorsal side? Why not an inverted biodome on the ventral side too? That would form a sphere -- or a biosphere. Regardless if the biodomes have zero gravity, low gravity, or artificial gravity, there's no logical reason why an inverted biodome on the ventral side wouldn't work. That would double the capacity!

An even better question: Why do the biodomes grow crops in soil, like terrestrial farming? Why not use far superior and more efficient hydroponic or aeroponic farming systems? Hydroponic and aeroponic growing chambers could be stacked, utilizing the height of the biodome far more efficiently, and increasing the amount of plants grown tenfold.

I suspect that CIG thought of this too, but chose to depict the biodomes with traditional terrestrial farms in the concept art so that players could easily determine their intended purpose.

The reason ventral biodomes won't work is because only one hemisphere can get light from a star. The other side would be in darkness and thus pointless to have. They have stated that you will have to use natural light for growing some things.

The reason ventral biodomes won't work is because only one hemisphere can get light from a star. The other side would be in darkness and thus pointless to have. They have stated that you will have to use natural light for growing some things.

Gerald Evans has it right - on-board grow lights, mate. Deep in space, you have light insufficient to grow moss.

Edited by Gremlich

They have lights but in the design doc they said that certain exotic crops will require solar radiation from specific stars that cannot be artificially produced.

That will make it easy to hunt Endeavours. But at least it's only certain crops. Still, I'd like to see the ability to flip in a Jefferies tube and step into the ventral dome.

That's wrong. Firstly, the intensity of the sun is far greater in space than on a planet, so a little sunlight goes a long way in space.

Second, if you've ever been inside a greenhouse, you'd know that it's not very bright inside -- it's equivalent to a lightly cloudy day, not open sky with the intense sun beating down. Same thing with house plants; they don't need to be in a window exposed to direct sunlight, they'll grow fine with ambient light. Water and nutrients are more important to plants than sunlight -- there are many plants that grow in near darkness.

Third, the optics of the biodome will reflect the sun's rays in a way that the interior is saturated with light, regardless if the sun is shining from directly "above" the biodome or from the sides. An Olympic could be oriented so that at least 3 biodomes were exposed to sunlight, and the ship could rotate on its axis so that all the biodomes received sunlight.

Alternatively, sunlight could be channeled through optical cables and projected into the the fourth biodome, and the biodome's concave optics would do the rest.

In the land of artificial gravity plates we can't have grow lights on our ships? No sense whatsoever.

Or as GeraldEvans correctly said, they could simply use artificial lights... like they do on the ISS, and in hydroponics, aeroponics, or indoor grow-ups.

As I said before, hydroponics or aeroponics growing systems would be far superior and more efficient than the biodomes using soil and sunlight, like terrestrial farming. It's primitive. :rolleyes: I believe that CIG chose the Biodome module because its purpose was easily recognizable and understandable to the players who want to be glorified space farmers. :P

OK to end this debate here is why they won't make them spheres. Because they 1. don't want to and 2. the way the zone mechanic works is based on physical model orientation so its too time consuming to make 4 individual zones just for the sake of flipping you over. Clearly some people need to read between the lines of why things are made the way they are. The points made are valid just not for a space game where only 2% of players will likely use the ship for this purpose.

OK to end this debate here is why they won't make them spheres. Because they 1. don't want to and 2. the way the zone mechanic works is based on physical model orientation so its too time consuming to make 4 individual zones just for the sake of flipping you over. Clearly some people need to read between the lines of why things are made the way they are. The points made are valid just not for a space game where only 2% of players will likely use the ship for this purpose.

lol. The debate is far from over. :lol:

Firstly, you don't know what CIG wants or doesn't want to do. That's an absurd argument. :rolleyes: Ben Lesnick said in RtV that they have ideas for more than 20 different modules for the Endeavor; they're focusing on the most important ones, which are for sale now, and they intend to work on the remaining modules sometime in the future. CIG could add a "Biosphere" module to the list of modules they plan to create -- which would probably the easiest one to create, because most of the work is already done!

It would be easy to mirror the 3D model of the Biodome module to create an inverted duplicate, then splice the vertices together to create a module with a dorsal and ventral biodome. I've used Autodesk Maya, which is the 3D modeling software that CIG uses, so I know how easy it is to do this (if I recall correctly, it's covered in Chapter 4 of the Introducing Autodesk Maya 2010 text book). Mirroring a 3D model is a fundamental technique and is done all the time; it's how 3D objects are made perfectly symmetrical. A 3D artist designing a ship (or a gun, or a character model, etc.) doesn't waste their time modeling a whole ship; the artist models half of the ship then mirrors it and merges the two halves together!

The only real work would involve minor changes to the module's interior, with the addition of an "artificial gravity inversion chamber" to the access corridor between the ship and the biodome, which would have localized artificial gravity, so the player's feet would remain planted on the floor, the chamber would rotate 180 degrees, then they'd step off onto the "ceiling" and either take the stairs or an inverted elevator "down" to the ventral biodome -- although from that person's POV they'd be going "up" to the ventral biodome. :D

The game mechanics for inverting gravity should be simple. In the game editors that I've used, gravity can be inverted simply by changing the default value of 1.0 to -1.0. CIG is designing the FPS module to feature zero-G combat, so inverting gravity will be comparatively simple.

It seems @Leviticus_Valdren like you're making excuses for why CIG didn't design a Biosphere, and why they won't do it in the future. You're trying to argue "why CIG can't do this", which is a defensive, pessimistic attitude. :( Whereas I'm optimistically asking "Why can't CIG do this?" B)

Why not ask for the next Q/A?

I did ask about a "Biosphere module" with inverted ventral biodomes:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5677468/#Comment_5677468

Why does the Biodome module have biodomes only on the dorsal side, instead of both dorsal and ventral?

Regardless if the Biodome has zero gravity or artificial gravity, there is no "up" in space, so there's no logical reason why it couldn't have an inverted biodome on the ventral side.

Can a new "Biosphere Module" be created for the Endeavor?

I submitted that question on Thursday, prior to the release of Q&A Part 1. It wasn't chosen. Maybe it will be for Part 2.

But probably not, because CIG tends to avoid answering questions that are in any way "critical" of their design choices.