MISC Endeavor

Flatfoot

I would agree and would like CIG to just have one hull with a verity of module to customize if you want the ship to be strictly astrol- science or life science or genetics or whatever. But what I'm being told by a source close to ben, is more along the lines of my original description. I hope this is not the case and we can have one ship for all possibilities.

Cheers, AstroJak

I agree, it would be annoying if you have to own a separate ship for each role, it would be nicer to have modular hulls for that.

You can most likely forget about the promise that the endeavor will be able to hold a cutlass, a science ship has no need for a large hangar so I guess that will be scrapped too and the cutlass hangar will move to the new hospital ship.

I would agree and would like CIG to just have one hull with a verity of module to customize if you want the ship to be strictly astrol- science or life science or genetics or whatever. But what I'm being told by a source close to ben, is more along the lines of my original description. I hope this is not the case and we can have one ship for all possibilities.

Cheers, AstroJak

+++ See the Batgirl Interview with Ben on the OP of this link --->> 

I would prefer a separate dedicated Science Ship  (Endeavor Class) and a separate dedicated Hospital Ship (Hope Class) - since they would function quite differently from each other (one has to be set up to receive ambulances - Cutlass Red) and have Med Bays, Iso Labs, etc.... for the Hope Class and the other would have Astrophysics Labs, Observatory, etc... for the Endeavor Class.  They would function completely different.

I would also rather have more options with maybe spending $350 per ship instead of paying $700 on one ship.

But VoA, what if your doing cross discipline research that required as, @Boosterterrik pointed out and you require a custom configuration. Having a modular hull would allow you to set up your facility to be mission specific, rather than a general field of study.

It seams to me, since the introduction of the modular system, having variants is kind of obsolete!  When you can have one base hull and by simply adding the module(s) you want it becomes the variant you need, i see no point in continuing with variant. The one caveat would be for those smaller ship, that aren't part of this system.

AJ

But VoA, what if your doing cross discipline research that required as, @Boosterterrik pointed out and you require a custom configuration. Having a modular hull would allow you to the set up your facility to be mission specific, rather than a general field of study.

It seams to me, since the introduction of the modular system, that having variants is kind of obsolete!  When you can have one base hull and by simply adding the module(s) you want it becomes the variant you need, i see no point in continuing with variant. The one caveat would be for those smaller ship, that aren't part of this system.

AJ

You can still have an Endeavor - Class Science Ship and still install modular Medical Bays.   Even though The Hope Class and Endeavor Class ships will be "separate" according to Ben......... the Modular Endeavor still won't be able to revive people (or provide as good of medical care) as a Hope Class Hospital Ship.

Likewise....... a Hope-Class Hospital ship could put an astrophysics modular science station in - but it probably still won't have an Observation dome that maybe Specific to the Endeavor-Class Science Ship.

-------------

So modularity doesn't really hurt dedicated ships...... since dedicated ships will likely have some specific characteristic that makes them unique and any module applied to another ship may not be able to match or be as good as that dedicated ship's specific characteristic.   So there is room for all...... modularity (creating Jack-of-All-Trades yet Master of None), variants, and separated dedicated ships :)

Okay so theory-crafting this, they'd have to have two very specific hull benefits otherwise you'd just get the better hull and put in modules for the other. With the Endeavor, that's easy, it'd be something like an observation deck as @VoA mentioned. Clear winner for science there, being able to actually view the thing you're studying, likely with extra sensors in that area pointed where you're looking.

However, for the Hope? I'm struggling to think of a hull difference that'd actually help it. Maybe more individual, dedicated internal rooms that only really fit a bed, rather than a more open, lab-type approach in the Endeavor?

What I'm getting at is that if there wasn't a very specific characteristic about the Hope that physically makes it a better ship for medical practice, surely you'd just be better off getting an Endeavor and having the options for fit it out for medicine. Can anyone think of a specific trait that hospitals would have over research labs that'd make the Hope a physically better choice for a hospital ship?

Like I said : a bigger hangar. The science vessel only needs a small runabout hangar vs the large cutlass hangar in the hospital class ( and if CIG were smart they would also allow redeemer size ships to land in them since it is likely that they will be present when people get hurt during operations)

@Booster Terrik,  good point.  I hadn't thought of a hanger.  It should take at least a Cutlass Red to help that ship out with functionality, but ultimately yes, a Redeemer or other gunship would also be ideal.  

The new variants are all supposed to be structurally different from each other, we might even expect the Hope Class to be bigger than the Endeavor Class.  For example, just look at how the old model of the Connie Taurus matched up to the Andromeda.  The room and bay for the P52 were completely removed and the entire bottom of the ship was retextured to allow the cargo bay about 1/3 more space that extended into those areas.  

I believe it will also be reasonable to expect that the Hope will have few weapons, if any, taking the lead from present day naval hospital ships.  Expect the hardpoints to be physically removed and permanently unavailable.

Like I said : a bigger hangar. The science vessel only needs a small runabout hangar vs the large cutlass hangar in the hospital class ( and if CIG were smart they would also allow redeemer size ships to land in them since it is likely that they will be present when people get hurt during operations)

Has been reported that the hope class ship will have a hanger? i thought the cutlass would have to transfer patience via docking collar?

does anyone have a quote they can present?

AJ

Hmm. Well, the Endeavor was confirmed to have a hanger to fit one Cutlass Red. Details on the Hope class is thin, but one would think that if they're splitting the hospital and science aspects of the ships, they'd keep that medical portion with the medical ship.

I don't think it's been mentioned if they're changing the hanger size, but theory crafting has the Hope class on the larger side, so…

Definitely looking forward to the concept reveal for this one!

Has been reported that the hope class ship will have a hanger? i thought the cutlass would have to transfer patience via docking collar?

does anyone have a quote they can present?

AJ

I disagree about transferring patients via the docking collar. I think that's a bad idea, because the Cutlass' docking port is located in the floor of the cargo bay, which means the patient's stretcher would have to be tilted vertical to move through the docking collar. It seems extremely dangerous to lift a wounded patient upright and basically drop them through a hole in the floor. Even if the gravity was switched off, it's not ideal.

It makes more sense to offload patients from the Cutlass via the cargo ramp door, because the patient would remain horizontal on a stretcher, and there's plenty of room for med-techs to stand upright and carry/push the stretcher. Of course, offloading via the ramp would necessitate using a hangar -- or a special docking collar that fits over the Cutlass' tail section.

I made the same point about the fan-made Hygeia mobile medical and repair ship.

So I think it makes perfect sense that the Hope-class Hospital Ship has a hangar for a single Cutlass Red, because it needs one to safely offload patients.

I totally agree with all your points @Reavern but my question wasn't intended to come across as my prefered option but rather to clearify an obvious misconception on my part. Others have confirmed that the hope class hospital ship will have a hanger....which is awesome.

Cheers

Cheers, AstroJak

• 2 months later...

For the first time, I'm deciding not to buy this concept - although it looks so freakin cool - the Endeavor will be the ship I work towards in the PU.

My wallet appreciates this thought.

Hin_Space1.jpghehe just saw this on FB:  http://s30.postimg.org/lhm0v03k1/Hin_Space1.jpg

Edited by NewzyOne

I am very glad that the last few concept sales have been less than appealing in the realm of ship design and role. This one will also be a ship I will avoid. While I think it's a cool concept, I can see this being a logistical pain in the ass if it needs a larger crew to operate and run. Mobile respawn station is all well and good, but if they make medical stuff so involved that you need 3 medics or more per patient, that would be very difficult to get support for during a large fleet action where many people are wanting "in on action".

AutoxidationRear Admiral 14 points 3 hours ago 

Info:

Ben is saying the middle area is modular and can openly be swapped out to fill roles. "Ships are like pizzas."

The front area, before the modular section, can also detach to investigate more dangerous areas instead of bringing all the delicate equipment with it.

Edited by VoA