Persistent Universe (PU) - Star Citizen - 3.x +

VoA

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The upcoming locations have gotten me really excited... ArcCorp looks amazing and the Microtech artwork is just something to marvel at.
Once they have all the locations in the stanton system done, I hope they just fill up this system with more mission givers, implement and polish the upcoming gameplay mechanics and make it a more well-rounded experience before they open up that Jumppoint wormhole to the Pyro system.

Narcto@Narcto Seeing more and more recent UE4 footage as well as other projects using this to create photorealistic environments, I am really curious what came out of the R&D into this tech, especially regarding the usage for the procedural environment tech. Have you guys found a way to use this in SC? And if not are there other plans to increase the quality of terrain generation when it comes to steep cliffs, overhangs, real canyons etc and therefore to minimize the usage of tons of assets to immitate such rough terrain?

Divi@divi-cig

The cleanup work needed to make scanned assets work for the planetary tech and procedural placement, especially with the updates we are currently working on, made us decide to pursue other approaches for producing better looking assets for the PU.

Thanks for replying. But as far as I understand, the overall time needed to create an asset from scratch, similar to the detail that you can get with an photogrammetry asset, is drastically lowered by using this tech. DICE claims for example that it cut their needed time in half.

So, one more question I would have is: Do you even plan on getting such detailed assets into SC and do you have a better method for it? Or are such detailed assets not planned and photogrammetry therefore just not the right tool to create them?

we are currently exploring a pipeline with houdini to generate full sets of shapes/sizes of better looking rocks that fulfill all requirements we have that make them usable with our procedural placement tech. they will be made for the new organic shader which will result in better looking rocks regardless, even if the houdini approach were to fail(unlikely) and we have to sculpt them the traditional way (ZBrush, not talking about actual clay here :D). so yes, we do have plans to get better looking assets into the game. details are a different topic though - photogrammetry assets with the same resource constraints that our procedurally placed assets need to be created with do look.... less spectacular.