Arithan

Ongoing Discussion GeForce GTX 980 and 970 Released!

The 980 and 970's were just announced. More info at their site:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/maxwell-architecture-gtx-980-970

980: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980

970: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970

From the last part of that first article, it says the 980 ($549) and 970 ($329) will be released tomorrow (Sept. 19).

Looking over the spec's on my 760 vs 980 and the specs aren't really inspiring to say the least.

So whats the big deal about the 970-980?

Performance for power. They draw 170W versus a 780ti which draws 300+ (depending on model). On top of that it performs 7 to 15% better in games for 130 watts less and 250 dollars less. (or 450 less if you buy a 970 and OC it)

I think it's the fact that the numbers are extravagantly higher. Higher means... better? Humans...

Extravagantly? Wrong choice of wording, did you even compare them.. We're talking specs only increasing by 100 in the clocks and such, that's not impressive to me.

Extravagantly? Wrong choice of wording, did you even compare them.. We're talking specs only increasing by 100 in the clocks and such, that's not impressive to me.

No I meant that the actual integer number of 980 is higher than the number 780. By nearly exactly 200 might I add.

I just picked up dual Asus GTX 980s from Newegg.  Looks like they are sold out again.  The prelim performance marks on these cards is amazing.  Plus lower power and cost. 

lineup.png

where's the comparison with the AMD cards?