Arena Commander V.9 Status Update

Wu Jen

M50_comp52.jpg

Greeting Citizens, 

We have been working around the clock to have Arena Commander V0.9 ready for our backers. As of tonight, there are several remaining bugs that we feel would not provide the best possible Arena Commander experience and which would ultimately be detrimental to our process of community testing/feedback. We had hoped to have these ironed out and ready to go today (and in time for PAX Prime and Dragon*Con!) but have made the tough decision not to release until it meets the standards you’ve come to expect.

Murray-Cup-Poster-Smaller.jpg

With version 0.9 we’ve added the Murray Cup Racing map and game mode, the Vanduul Swarm Coop game mode, and the now-flyable M50 and 350R. The patch also includes our first implementation of private matches and the option to select multiple control schemes (more control customization will arrive in another patch shortly after this one.) These features in particular have required that we concurrently add a number of new features to our nascent backend infrastructure to support their introduction. By introducing features we have not rolled out before, we are seeing new bugs with our backend for the first time as well. These issues include problems like being unable to join a private match, frequent issues connecting to servers with the new game modes and map, and some new gameplay crashes.

These are all major issues we want (and expect) to resolve shortly. The most major “blocker” bug, as discussed in the Gamescom presentation, is the introduction of the new Leaderboard system to this build. The leaderboards are going to be for all modes in Arena Commander, including the recently added Vanduul Swarm Co-Op and Murray Cup Racing (racing without placement scores isn’t much fun!) From a technical standpoint, Leaderboards are a big deal. They’re the first time the game will be consistently passing significant amounts of data between the client (what you download and play) and the platform (the web side of things.)

Even if you aren’t looking forward to comparing scores with friends, getting the back end of Star Citizen to talk to the backend of the Star Citizen website is a huge deal. What we’re hooking up today is also going to allow features like the Galactapedia, Interactive Star Map and the Star Citizen mobile app to communicate with the game. Our goal with Star Citizen is to build a universe with a highly connected community at its core and Leaderboards, along with the stat tracking and backend infrastructure that allow for leaderboards, are a significant step in building that experience. Allowing backers to get the first taste of a larger persistence in the ‘Verse is something we feel is very important.

We know that it is disappointing that we’re not quite ready to share our progress with the community, but today’s build is just not yet to a state where it achieves our vision. We will be working around the globe through the holiday weekend to deliver on the promise of V0.9. And for those interested in the process, we will be providing continued updates in the coming week on the status of the release. The entire Star Citizen team will be working as hard as possible to make sure you’re racing ships and taking on the Vanduul together soon!

//End Transmission

Thoroughly expected delay, with a well-reasoned and articulated justification.  Particularly liked that they addressed the actual importance of the back end information gathering and leaderboards going forward.  That said, as with any logical decision, I shudder to think what the general forum over at RSI looks like.  I'm sure some will be working hard for their upcoming forum bans.

To be expected. But for once I would like to see CR overestimate a patch release date instead of underestimate. That way when the patch comes out on time, or god forbid early, everyone is padding each other on the back and feeling good all round. 

To be expected. But for once I would like to see CR overestimate a patch release date instead of underestimate. That way when the patch comes out on time, or god forbid early, everyone is padding each other on the back and feeling good all round.

I agree, at least for one or two patches. But I am one willing to wait as I prefer a fuller functionality game, than dealing with major bugs. However, I am one who feels the leaderboards are unnecessary for this patch, just bring it out for .91.

That would probably be for the best.

Travis DayMightyMonkey

Posted: August 29

Hey SSG Diamond,

I think there may be some confusion here that I would really like to try and clear up. :)

1. You are correct, customizing keybindings fully in the in-game GUI is a top priority. The team working on this (UI artists and gameplay programmers) is entirely separate from the team working on Leaderboards (network and platform engineers) so please don't think that resources are being diverted from this important feature.

2. I am not saying that this is going to be delayed until 1.0 though I understand how you may have gotten that from what was said on reverse the verse. To clarify the fully rebindable keys through the GUI should be coming in release 13.1 or 13.2 (V0.91 or V0.92). The first step in this process is what you will have upon the release of V0.9 which is having multiple presets for most popular control peripherals. The work to support this had to be done on the path towards fully rebindable keys so we've decided to give our progress to the community even though we aren't fully done with the full implementation.

This will come online shortly and I assure you that this is absolutely a priority so please just bear with us as we work towards our common goal.

On RSI Forums ^^^^ Quote from Dev - Travis Day

so what this is the 2000th release estimate they've missed? Where is that yawn emote? I concur with the previous posts. For once CR should shoot long and actually come in early or on time instead of always being late. I'm standing by my prediction of PU in 2017

There is a cumulative RSI drinking game. You take one drink everytime they set a deadline then miss that deadline. For instance when they missed the DFM you would take one drink, then when they set another deadline you would take a drink for it + the drink for the DFM. By the time they get around to 'actually' releasing the PU you might miss a few days of it being COMPLETELY hammered.

Patience young padawans. Life goes on, in the grand scheme of things this is only an update. It will come out when its ready and there will be many, many more updates like this that we are all excited about.

I can't wait for it though, will be good :)