Most Cringe Worthy Experience

Genesis

I think he over did the thermal paste.

One of my first builds I wasn't paying attention and almost smeared thermal paste into the socket.  I still have nightmares.

The poor person was probably making his first build and just ruined everything.  So much wasted money.  But it is pins so maybe it's not so bad.

My story was more about arse puckering than cringe but I guess it is all the same.  For those that are not pilots, this may not make any sense but just trust me it was not pretty.

I was below a cloud layer at the airport in a helicopter in VFR conditions, tower asked if we were ready for our IFR climb out.  The copilot told tower that we were ready and started his climb into the clouds.  My head was down putting in GPS coordinates when I hear the copilot say,"I need help."  I look up to see the helicopter approaching zero knots of airspeed and rolling through 90 degrees of bank in IFR.  He had a bad case of vertigo.  To make a very long story short, I took controls of the helicopter and rolled it through 110 degrees of bank and put the nose straight down.  The attitude gyro was rolling over and over, so that did me no good with relation to up and down since we were still in the clouds.  I quickly recovered the helicopter and pulled power to max torque and finally stopped descending at 50 feet over the ground in IFR conditions.  I saved all the lives on board that day to include my copilot, crew chiefs and the passengers.  I am not proud of my actions, but humbled that my training saved us and that I get to live on and enjoy life.  Remember not to sweat the small stuff, life is too short.

Zero Null Cero

My story was more about arse puckering than cringe but I guess it is all the same.  For those that are not pilots, this may not make any sense but just trust me it was not pretty.

I was below a cloud layer at the airport in a helicopter in VFR conditions, tower asked if we were ready for our IFR climb out.  The copilot told tower that we were ready and started his climb into the clouds.  My head was down putting in GPS coordinates when I hear the copilot say,"I need help."  I look up to see the helicopter approaching zero knots of airspeed and rolling through 90 degrees of bank in IFR.  He had a bad case of vertigo.  To make a very long story short, I took controls of the helicopter and rolled it through 110 degrees of bank and put the nose straight down.  The attitude gyro was rolling over and over, so that did me no good with relation to up and down since we were still in the clouds.  I quickly recovered the helicopter and pulled power to max torque and finally stopped descending at 50 feet over the ground in IFR conditions.  I saved all the lives on board that day to include my copilot, crew chiefs and the passengers.  I am not proud of my actions, but humbled that my training saved us and that I get to live on and enjoy life.  Remember not to sweat the small stuff, life is too short.

Zero Null Cero

You fly helicopters? If so good to see another pilot on here, I'm doing my ppl (fixed wing). 

You fly helicopters? If so good to see another pilot on here, I'm doing my ppl (fixed wing). 

My story involved being at ENJJPT in Wichita Falls. They had me doing an incentive flight in a T38 Talon with an Italian Major as my IP. I ended up pulling so much in negative G's during a BFM exercise that he vomited multiple times. Imagine my face when he told me to take the bird in on approach because he didn't think he could see straight...he took controls about 100m off the runway but seriously, about shat meself. We shouldn't have had Greek Gyros for lunch. >.>

Here's a couple good ones about the SR-71 Blackbird:

http://roadrunnersinternationale.com/weaver_sr71_bailout.html

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/what-was-the-slowest-you-ever-flew-in-the-blackbird-1501361885

They've got a Blackbird at the Air and Space Museum, and to me, its the most impressive thing there, in either museum. Outshining even the Space Shuttle. I never imagined just how freaking huge it is, until I saw it in person. Truly mankind's foremost marvel of aeronautical engineering, so far.

Here's a couple good ones about the SR-71 Blackbird:

http://roadrunnersinternationale.com/weaver_sr71_bailout.html

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/what-was-the-slowest-you-ever-flew-in-the-blackbird-1501361885

They've got a Blackbird at the Air and Space Museum, and to me, its the most impressive thing there, in either museum. Outshining even the Space Shuttle. I never imagined just how freaking huge it is, until I saw it in person. Truly mankind's foremost marvel of aeronautical engineering, so far.

In Aerospace Engineering we often study the SR-71 Blackbird as not only being ahead of its time (I am both an Architect / Aerospace Engineer) - but still really at the forefront of aeronautics.  I love how it "leaks" fuel while sitting on the ground and then as it flies at higher speeds the heat then expands each panel so it fits tight (and stops the leaks).  I also love the tech behind the ram jet + how it keep setting speed records (before the space shuttle).  The Russians would develop a new Mig just to break the record... and each time they did this we just flew the SR-71 again.... opened the throttle a bit more and kept reclaiming the speed record (they never opened up the throttle all the way on the SR-71 - so they don't actually know its top speed) :ph34r:

This happend more than ten years ago...

Had to stop at a red light and when i looked in the rearview mirror i see a 40 ton truck coming at me at full speed... maybe the driver was sleeping.

I steped on the brake as hard as i could (there was traffic crossing in front of me) and pushed myself into the seat, preparing for the impact.

Boom ... the truck had hit me, but not as hard as i expected... it rolled past me and stopped a few meters ahead. Somehow the driver managed to brake and steer a bit to the left, so he just scraped the side of my car.

post-2915-0-75950200-1409312428_thumb.jp 

post-2915-0-85996900-1409312745_thumb.jp

People are saying it's a hoax.  There's a few videos that have this happen, or say it happened.  It's hard to say for sure.

hoax or not, the stupidity of some people can make this true, the one that really stuck in my mind was when i saw a vid on a news show of 2 guys smoking a sumas tree leaves and died (not sure if i got the spelling right, but the leaves are poisonous) or the guy that decided to go fuck a horse and die

stupidity, the most embarrassing killer

(guesstimate inc)

from what i can see in that vid, the bucket falling is about 5-6 feet with about 60 lbs soo.... about 300 lbs of force i think? (i could be wildly wrong) and supposedly it's only around 20 lbs to break a neck (depending on what your doing it can be more or less)

just remembered an odd bit of trivia, medieval deaths from being hit on the head (from w/e melee weapon) came more from broken necks, no idea where i heard this, probably from TV