Delota

Is it worth buying ships?

I was wondering how much of a benefit it is to buy ships now instead of in-game.(ignoring that we support development!)

If I get a $350 conny, how much time will it take to get that ship in-game?

Because the problem here is that it is not fair for the people who actually bought it to make it generally easy to get, a what is now a $350 conny phoenix, so they will make it generally hard to get those bigger ships.

So I'm wondering how much $350 is compared to game time in hours?
Is it worth buying those ships because otherwise it's going to take aaaages to get a big boy?

I'm reallly considering getting a conny but for me, as a student,  it is a lot of money. But if it's worth it then I'll get one

The only figure we have to go off of is CR's statement that it would take 60 hours of play time to earn a $225 Andromeda.

Which was a long time ago......

....and they weren't called Andromeda's then.....

...they were called Constellations, that was the way it was and we liked it!

I doubt anyone would know because details of the economy and how we make UEC in gameplay aren't fully out or finalized. Most of that is still in development. CR has said that there are two types of players, those with time and those with money but no time, pledges are there to balance out the time sink using irl money so those who want their cool ships but got no time to invest in building up UEC. 

@Delota  considering your budget don't get it. This is crowd funding and you have no idea how the game will turn out. Careful in what you're getting into.

Last information we have is that it will take about a week to get a Constellation if you are hardcore gamer playing almost all day.

Chris stated this in a Gamescom interview and Ben reaffirmed it in the last Starcast.

But as always this can change and take longer or not.

One way or the other they will never make it a grind in order to satisfy backers.

Also when the game comes out and you can use real money to get in game money, don't expect to get a better value.

Real money will have even less value when converted to UEC. This is the nature of a balanced free to play game. Real money cannot generate too much in game wealth or else it can be exploited. 

This is the reason why they have stated in the past that it will cost more real world money to get enough in game credits to buy ships.

My advice. Pledge what you can based on your budget. Not on the ship you want. When the game is released work your way up. One way or the other it will take you less time than most anyway since you will probably already have a better ship than most.

The only figure we have to go off of is CR's statement that it would take 60 hours of play time to earn a $225 Andromeda.

Which was a long time ago......

....and they weren't called Andromeda's then.....

...they were called Constellations, that was the way it was and we liked it!

Seems reasonable, 60 hours. 

I was wondering how much of a benefit it is to buy ships now instead of in-game.(ignoring that we support development!)

If I get a $350 conny, how much time will it take to get that ship in-game?

Because the problem here is that it is not fair for the people who actually bought it to make it generally easy to get, a what is now a $350 conny phoenix, so they will make it generally hard to get those bigger ships.

So I'm wondering how much $350 is compared to game time in hours?

Is it worth buying those ships because otherwise it's going to take aaaages to get a big boy?

I'm reallly considering getting a conny but for me, as a student,  it is a lot of money. But if it's worth it then I'll get one

Perhaps you should think of getting a bread and butter ship. That is something that will allow steady income. For me it will be the Hornet as games tend to focus on making money with combat. Of course there will be trading but most of the larger ships are expensive by comparison. The Aurora is a good starter ship, but its ability to make money will be hindered by its size. Hope this helps. 

@Delota

I have pondered the same question myself over and over again.  I have already spent a more than I originally expected, but have decided to not buy anything more (unless something amazingly amazing pops up).  For now I'm sticking with my main ship, a Super Hornet for combat operations and a second ship, a Cutlass for hauling, to start out with.  Anything else I can work towards in the game.  Besides, that will be part of the fun for me!

The Constellation line-up is an awesome looking ship, but remember it isn't a small ship and could possibly take more than one person to operate (which means either added costs or having to always have a friend to help control it).  The Constellations--and other ships--can always be obtained in game down the road, and I realized I'll be content to begin with with the ships I already have to explore/defend/fight in the 'Verse.

I personally would put my money into a taurus its cheap has bigcargo and will be very usefull in the first full release of the PU

if you really dont know if you like fighting thou!

If you like you maybe want to  take the Andromeda upgrade.

The connie is atm chassi wise the best in my view.

But if it is worth buying ships nobody can say!

I would recommand to if you can spare the money if you cant base gamepackage and aurora MR is your deal then.

If I was on a tight budget I would go with a Mustang. It can do trade runs and it can fight and should be able to earn me enough money to buy bigger and better ships.

@Delota I know you are looking at the Phoenix hard.  I want you to keep in mind that the Phoenix is very heavily weighed on being a luxury cruiser, a particular mission that may or may not be all that common.  I know the stats show it has heavy firepower, but that may be its flaw at the same time.  Also note, that it is a limited edition ship; as of now, they will not sell anymore after Monday 8/25.  However, do note that they do plan to release newer models during the PU in series, so you may be able to afford a luxury liner then, once you have your source of gaining UECs and stockpile.  If you really wanted a Connie, I highly recommend the Andromeda, as it can be reconfigured to almost any type of mission you throw it at.  But if your budget is super tight, go with the Taurus and grind out some transport runs to build UECs.  Then you are most likely able to gather an income that is a better rate than CR predicts with the 60 hours to a Connie.  You can buy many ships with a larger source of income with all in-game money. 

@ all, thanks for the reply.

I'm actually looking for a ship besides what I have now, I think I should have added that I already have a game package, Digital colonel including the superhornet LTI.
But I don't think I will be fighting all the time or what if i don't like fighting?

I was first thinking of getting a freelancer to start trading and have a steady income but now they have all these new connies on the line that seem really interesting...

Any suggestions?

Agree on 60 hours comment but hard to say what he meant. 60 hours for new players? 60 hours optimum? We also know CR says a lot of things that he has really no idea how it will be really once PU launches...

The OP's issue has been debated to death.  :rolleyes:

The simplest answer is that Star Citizen has a very affordable $30 entry-level game package that includes both the Squadron 42 singleplayer game and the Star Citizen MMO persistent universe game, and a starter ship. And the game isn't going to have subscription fees or any other lame money-sinks (like pay-for-fuel). So for 30 bucks you can play a massive online space sim game for years.

The game packages, standalone ships, extras, and merchandise are simply options that enable generous backers to contribute more money to support the game's development.

I've supported several other game projects on Kickstarter, but have been underwhelmed by the games that were produced. Whereas I've pledged more than 10 times as much money to Star Citizen and I'm far more impressed by the Hangar Module and Arena Commander than the other games. So it's been worth it to me to buy numerous ships and merchandise to contribute to the game's development. :)

Another reason is that ever since I've graduated university and started my career, my time is more precious than my money, and I'm playing video games less than I did in the past. I really don't want to start Star Citizen with an Aurora and grind my way up to a Constellation or better. That's why originally pledged for the Rear Admiral game package, because I wanted to start with (arguably) the best all-round ship in the game and skip the training-wheels missions and go straight to the fun and challenging missions that make these epic games worthwhile. :)

Honestly, whether it's 60 hours, one week, or three weeks doesn't matter. The fact is that the economy in the game will be DYNAMIC, which means that ship prices will fluctuate based off of supply, demand, insurance claims, etc... It also most likely will depend on how you  plan on making UEC. If you're a bounty hunter, that will most likely mean not having a steady income (aside from maybe combat-style missions when you're not hunting), but a huge payout once you take out a mark. Myself, I know that my ship purchases most likely won't "exchange rate" well versus the end-game result at launch, but that's not the point for me. What's the point is getting funding in for the game, and ensuring I have the variety I want when the game rolls out.

Regarding your question about another ship, bang for the buck the new Taurus is good, but you'll want a larger crew...FL is great for solo+1 AI.

btw tight budget if you have a neversettle gold silver coupon(Neversettle space!) you can use it later to get a unique AMD racer

Yfuxbjc.png

For me, this ship would make a perfect racer and is much sexier than the M50! Can't believe they haven't changed the name yet. Definitely going to wear a cowboy hat when flying it. 

think of it this way...

there will certainly be a Limited amount of Phoenixes in-game.

considering the number of players... who would be working on capturing/obtaining this ship in-game...

you would be competing with other players to get the ship which is already limited in numbers.

it all depends on your playstyle, if you would like to work for one or just get the phoenix off the shelf. personal preference, really.

The problem allways is that you will have people who might get to play for a couple of hours a few times a week and then some that will play for 10 hours a day midweek and then 16 hours a day on the weekend.

You will have some people who don't work or some who will take a holiday and get a Connie in 3 days. Yet a limited player might take 10 weeks...

They have to come up with a compromise and try not to penalise either player type.

That is a very good point, @Stoff, and one I think a lot of people tend to forget about, haha. Plus, to me, if I am needing to "slave away" at a game for 60 hrs to be able to afford a ship I want, depending on how the slaving is, I may not enjoy it so much.

In 60 hours i can earn way more than the connie costs in RL cash. So i rather buy it now tbh, haha.

that's also how I look at it

I can next to my 5 day workweek work every Saturday for some additional cash, wich is more efectivly then farming ingame

and the big winwin withit  is that ya now also support the making of the game ya wanting to play :)