RSI - Phoenix (Constellation)

VoA

That looks only slightly better than the bar stool but remind me again : why would anyone want lights behind their backs when they are sitting in the jacuzzi? Is it so other people can see the bubbles when you lean forward and fart? 😜 Also is this jacuzzi made for marines in combat armour, otherwise the seats look a bit wide for me?

18 hours ago, Booster Terrik said:

why would anyone want lights behind their backs when they are sitting in the jacuzzi? 

I could tell you why... but it's explicit... lol

light bounces around and provides edge lighting if your guest is off to the side a little or moving forward. Highlighting... specific features of your guest ;D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It will be really costly if artificial gravity fails or the inertial compensators fail and all that 100 year old Scotch shatters against the bulkheads 😁 Leave it up to CIG to design a ship interior that no one in their right mind would ever use 😉 Wait …. maybe all those bottles are equipped with magnetic bases or the liquor cabinet has its own backup gravity and compensators …. man RSI has thought of everything 😉

8 hours ago, Booster Terrik said:

It will be really costly if artificial gravity fails or the inertial compensators fail and all that 100 year old Scotch shatters against the bulkheads 😁 Leave it up to CIG to design a ship interior that no one in their right mind would ever use 😉 Wait …. maybe all those bottles are equipped with magnetic bases or the liquor cabinet has its own backup gravity and compensators …. man RSI has thought of everything 😉

Have you seen the movie Passenger?  There's a scene in the bar on this spaceship where it looks like the bottles magnetically slide back into place securely.  Same tech? :D

8 minutes ago, Devil Khan said:

One thing ... why the F does you bed room and basically all windows and no blinds.

Probably because (if this was real) the windows would be either one-way glass(or the SF equivalent of glass), solid walls with HS screens simulating the outside, or electrochromatic dim-able glass (or the SF equivalent of glass).

15 minutes ago, Arcanus said:

Probably because (if this was real) the windows would be either one-way glass(or the SF equivalent of glass), solid walls with HS screens simulating the outside, or electrochromatic dim-able glass (or the SF equivalent of glass).

Obviously the one-way glass would be the type where you could see out, but no one could see in....  and to be honest, it might even be a combination of multiple types....  like electrochromatic, dim-able one-way glass, that when switched to opaque, can still display the environment outside using some form of HD display.

On 9/14/2018 at 1:45 AM, Devil Khan said:

One thing ... why the F does you bed room and basically all windows and no blinds.

reminds me of the design choice for the Normandy SR-2 in Mass Effect for the captain quarters .... hmmm how to design a ship for someone that was spaced ......... XD 

Spaccccce.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GRIZZ said:

I'm happy to see the piano getting so much attention.

As an Architect I am very happy with the presentation of the new Phoenix (only recently dethroned as my favorite ship - once the Pioneer came out - but the Phoenix will likely be my most used ship).

Items that I loved as presented on RTV:

• Loved the stairs going up to the central portion of the ship (why - because it shows good design thought for the the lack of need for height in the living space - and therefore more given to the cargo below)
  • Loved 80 SCU of Cargo (was worried that it would be gimped more)
  • Loved that it has competition grade power plant and higher grade stock components
  • Loved the extra armor is still a thing
  • Loved the asymmetrical interior design - while still maintaining the awesome central glass Galaxy Roof
  • Loved the minimalist yet elegant bedrooms (made me think of Ex Machina for some reason)
  • Loved the passenger seating / conference area  - in a strange way - this is one of the things I liked the most about the ship --->> It will be an awesome place to chat and look out the window
  • Loved the conference table - same reasons per above - looking out the windows (Phoenix has some really nice sight lines for views)
  • Loved the Piano as Grizz mentioned above with the attention to detail
  • Loved how they retained the Jacuzzi spa while diving it dual purpose as a dance floor (and technically can be used as another cargo area if needed - for stacking individual boxes (will really love it if I can get a Nox in there - but the Cargo area is big enough)
  • Loved the fact that they are keeping the PDS or remote turret
  • Loved the fact that they realized they had to make it a bit bigger and its new girth makes it more stout and impressive than the Andromeda / Aquila  (whereas we will see the Taurus will likely look too fat or pregnant = but that will be fine for a cargo ship obviously)
  • Loved the Bar and the detail
  • Really Loved the accent lighting mode and will likely fly around in this mode often (to set the mood - or to simulate a sleep time)
  • Loved the one way tinted glass
  • Loved the Fish tank
  • Loved the extra internal elevator added.
  • Fine with the Bridge and other areas being the same with a small upgrade to finishes (like accent walls and leather seats)
  • Very happy they are sticking with the VTOL fans
  • Loved how RSI designs (as oppose to Aegis) focuses on walking through larger spaces and not corridors (wasting space with corridors).

Items that I didn't like or were concerned about

• Didn't like the emergency lighting (looked liked a Disco dance mode - not an emergency mode) - but they are still working on it
  • Didn't like how Jared categorized the smuggling compartments as a Ben mistake (confusing it with the Taurus) ----- I clearly remember this was intended for both and was not focused on an area used for the bottom turret - rather the Phoenix smuggling area was suppose to be small and house things like Diamonds / Gold / Precious stuff)
  • Didn't like the location of the dishwasher (an architect's issue I guess - has to be near the sink)
  • Didn't like how they downplayed and dismissed really the extra component options that the Phoenix should have stock and the other Connies should be able to upgrade to (like the command and control module) ------ this is still a thing and should require a larger CPU to run them (it is not how it is on every ship as they presented it - at least as a stock option or purpose built for easy upgrade ---- yes every ship can upgrade components but the Phoenix was to have this as stock)

Overall I really I love this ship ☘️ and glad they didn't use a clover for the Emerald Version

Just found this to coorborate my comment above on Reddit:

Posted by

The Phoenix's Sensor Dampened Hold - Original Reference

On RTV today 2018/09/28. There was a discussion stating that the Hold was not meant to be sensor dampened and that it was a mixup due to a dev discussion.

This is not true. The original reference was from the initial marketing push for the Constellation variants: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14080-The-2945-RSI-Constellation-Lineup (archive.org link in case above change: https://web.archive.org/web/20140815213050/https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14080-The-2945-RSI-Constellation-Lineup)

With a fully redesigned luxury interior, the Constellation Phoenix mixes proven RSI engineering with the creme de la creme of luxury styling. But the Phoenix isn’t just for luxury ship buyers and Organization leaders: it also includes a sensor-dampening cargo pocket for transporting sensitive goods! The Phoenix also packs the punch of the speedy P-72 Archimedes fighter in it’s bay and a classy LYNX rover!

If it's RSI's position that this breaks the Phoenix's balance, then RSI should just flipping say so. Don't piss on my shoulder and tell me it's raining.

Jared's clarification (on his error) from spectrum - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/65300/thread/notes-about-the-phoenix-from-rtv

Disco Lando | CIG@discolando
Today at 2:58 pm
As said in today's RTV (available now on YouTube!) some of those statements in 2014 were unfortunately in error, or simply with the best information we had at that time. While I can't speak directly for Ben in those days, I can offer as much insight into this process as I can.

A ship goes through a lot of changes over the course of it's development, even before the finished concept is revealed to you. At various points in it's original development, the Phoenix had a variety of features that didn't make the final cut, including the same dampened cargo hold and no bottom turret as the Taurus, the consequence being it would put the Phoenix at a tactical disadvantage to the base model Andromeda. 

By the time the Constellation variants made their debut in 2014, the only Constellation intended to have this hold was the Taurus. This is borne out by examining the brochures that were released at that time and are still available for download in an unaltered state on the individual ship pages. The Phoenix clearly states both a top and bottom turret and no mention of the dampened hold. 

The source of the errant information came from three sources:
  1. An errant line on one of the ship information pages that referred to a dampened cargo hold that did not exist. This was a remnant of prior development.
  2. The hangar ready model that's been available since 2014, built with some of those earliest intentions in mind, that was missing it's bottom turret, similar to the Taurus.
  3. And most directly, due to the conflicting information between errant lines and brochures, and in the days before our Q&A posts, we addressed these issues on RTV as well as as several entries like this on our forums at that time. Unfortunately, in some of those early statements, we doubled down on the error that had crept into the information presented to backers at that time.
When the Constellation variants were presented in 2014, the dampened hold was intended to give the Taurus something unique among the Constellation line, in addition to it's already "larger-than-the-others" cargo hold. It does this at the sacrifice of the Connie's bottom turret, much like the Aquila sacrifices it's top turret for a specialized sensor array. In all available documentation of the Phoenix that's been published, it has maintained the presence of both top and bottom turrets, and this is the surest sign the inclusion of a dampened cargo hold was in error. Eagle-eyed backers might remember that I even perpetuated this error myself earlier this year on Calling All Devs, and it was this community that came to the rescue and pointed out that the Phoenix should have both top and bottom turrets. That began the investigation that lead us to the conclusions presented today.

In it's simplest form: this was an either/or proposition, and in building the Constellation this year, we chose to stay as close to the true original intent of the Phoenix as we could, with top and bottom turrets and a whole lot of baller style.

That said, I want to offer one small ray of potential hope with regards to the sensor dampening cargo hold: In the coming weeks/months, we are going to discuss internally the possibility of making the entire cargo hold utilize some form of sensor dampening. This is not the same as a commitment to "make that happen" but we want to explore the gameplay implications before making any final determination. We recognize that many, many statements about the Phoenix have been made over the years about it's capabilities, including some about this very thing, in efforts to address those errors with the best possible information we had available at that time. 

So, while the current state of the Phoenix is no sensor-dampened cargo hold, we will revisit this in the future and discuss our options once a better range of scanning gameplay comes into realization and we can more effectively gauge the balance implications. 

The main thing I find peculiar is that the new Phoenix has the exact same issue as the original Phoenix:

No escape pods for the VIPs!

There are only 4 escape pods available which serve as the bunkbeds of the 4 crew but the VIPs apparently have no escape pods at all. So you might as well tell them to party hard and claim that the emergency lighting is actually 'disco lighting' because they won't have any means to save themselves if the ship is about to go down.

CIG should have named it the Constellation Titanic. 😉

titanicpartycover2.jpg

@Danakar Endeel - This poster on Reddit said the same thing (below).   Honestly this doesn't bug me as much as the Smuggling options (which hopefully now Jared will push for a cargo hold that is hard to scan) + the prefitted expansion stations.   I actually see the Phoenix flying with about 5 crew and about 1-10 VIPs (considering the steating and generous area for people to congregate) so having maybe  up to 15 escape pods isn't realistic. - Overall I am still VERY happy with the new ship though :)

EDIT - I added this onto a post I made on Spectrum to Disco from this Reddit Post below...

The expansion station is a big thing though and the CPU of the ship should be able to handle it. Think of how Drake ships often have cheaper components (like the radar - with less info) vs other ships having more information with a higher grade component. The Phoenix should come pre-fitted with these (and really so should the 600i and 890 Jump = just like Luxury cars have the top of the line computers installed with GPS / top of the line sound systems / etc.... vs a standard car) - so it isn't just Competition Grade Components but components that provide more information as well.

The escape pod thing doesn't bother me as much since you can easily have 5 crew on this with maybe up to 10 VIPs (with all the impressive seating areas - lounge / conference / bar / etc... - so there is no way to provide an escape pod for all passengers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9jsfdb/cig_just_cancelled_phoenix_explorer_phoenix/

Posted by 34 minutes ago

CIG just cancelled Phoenix Explorer, Phoenix Command ship

renderTimingPixel.png

Back in 2014, we were told the Phoenix was worth the $150 over the base Connie because it was better - it could do more, it would be worth the extra, trust us! We were also told that we could trust the PDF, and when things on the ship matrix did not match the PDF, rely on the latter.

Page 2: Want more? Every Constellation is prefitted for an expansion station — you can choose and purchase from our upcoming range of options, including command, exploration and entertainment.

P13 in the list of Features: Prefitted for expansion station

We just lost gameplay from this overpriced whale with a cockpit view so bad they did not show it. .....

PS we also just lost the escape pods for the guests.

Vented and collapsible-entry single pods for guests and crew

Oh ... and your guests have to cue behind the crew to use the head. Neat!

Don't get me wrong, I love the art done for the interior. But this ship is far from done - it needs its advertised features back. That hot tub room? Needs to have a Command and Control ball option, and an Exploration suite option. Add a medical bed option and I would be delighted ... but for now, god damn it CIG, stop pissing on us and calling it rain

Here is an edited (by him) version of Jared's (CIG) post...

STAFF
Disco Lando | CIG@discolando
Today at 2:58 pm
EDIT: I'm editing the post because I put the info you're really looking for at the bottom of a wall of text post and it's probably better to just get to the part you want faster. I also made some clarifications between cargo pocket and cargo hold that has caused additional confusion among many people, including occasionally our own developers.

In the coming weeks/months, we are going to discuss internally the possibility of making the entire cargo hold utilize some form of sensor dampening. This is not the same as a commitment to "make that happen" but we want to explore the gameplay implications before making any final determination. We recognize that many, many statements about the Phoenix have been made over the years about it's capabilities, including some about this very thing, in efforts to address errors included in the original sales page with the best possible information we had available at that time. 

So, while the current state of the Phoenix is no sensor-dampening cargo pocket OR sensor-dampened cargo hold, we will revisit this in the future and discuss our options once a better range of scanning gameplay comes into realization and we can more effectively gauge the balance implications.  

ORIGINAL POST:

As said in today's RTV (available now on YouTube!) some of those statements in 2014 were unfortunately in error, or simply made with the best information we had at that time. While I can't speak directly for Ben in those days, I can offer as much insight into this process as I can.

A ship goes through a lot of changes over the course of it's development, even before the finished concept is revealed to you. At various points in it's original development, the Phoenix had a variety of features that didn't make the final cut, including the same sensor-dampening cargo pocket and no bottom turret as the Taurus, the consequence being it would put the Phoenix at a tactical disadvantage to the base model Andromeda. 

By the time the Constellation variants made their debut in 2014, the only Constellation intended to have this, "additional security hold featuring DoubleBlind plating" was the Taurus. This is borne out by examining the brochures that were released at that time and are still available for download in an unaltered state on the individual ship pages. The Phoenix clearly states both a top and bottom turret and no mention of the dampened hold. 

The source of the errant information came from three sources:
  1. An errant line (...it also includes a sensor-dampening cargo pocket for transporting sensitive goods!) on one of the ship information pages that was propagated to the sales page that referred to a cargo pocket that did not exist. This was a remnant of prior development.
  2. The hangar ready model that's been available since 2014, built with some of those earliest intentions in mind, that was missing it's bottom turret, similar to the Taurus. The turret was missing to accommodate the before mentioned "sensor-dampening cargo pocket."
  3. And most directly, due to the conflicting information between errant lines and brochures, and in the days before our Q&A posts, we addressed these issues on RTV as well as several entries like this on our forums at that time. Unfortunately, in some of those early post-reveal statements, we doubled down on the error and a sensor-dampening cargo pocket evolved to become an entire sensor-dampened cargo hold.
When the Constellation variants were presented in 2014, the "sensor-dampening cargo pocket" was intended to give the Taurus something unique among the Constellation line, in addition to it's already "larger-than-the-others" cargo hold. It does this at the sacrifice of the Connie's bottom turret, much like the Aquila sacrifices it's top turret for a specialized sensor array. In all available documentation of the Phoenix that's been published, it has maintained the presence of both top and bottom turrets, and this is the surest sign the inclusion of a "sensor-dampening cargo pocket" was in error. Eagle-eyed backers might remember that I even perpetuated this error myself earlier this year on Calling All Devs, and it was this community that came to the rescue and pointed out that the Phoenix should have both top and bottom turrets. That began the investigation that lead us to the conclusions presented today.

In some subsequent statements, the error was compounded to state the entire cargo hold would now be sensor-dampening. 

In it's simplest form: this was originally intended to be an either/or proposition, and in building the Constellation this year, we chose to stay as close to the true original intent of the Phoenix as we could, with top and bottom turrets and a whole lot of baller style. The Phoenix was not intended to have an entire cargo area be shielded, and there are no mentions of an entire shielded cargo hold in the brochure, the original sales pages or our own internal design briefs, only the errant mentions of a "sensor-dampened cargo pocket" that were in direct conflict with the bottom turret.

As for the post-reveal 2014 messaging of shielding the entire cargo hold, that is what we intend to re-evaluate when more sensor-based gameplay comes online. We know things change often in game development, and we want to offer every opportunity we can to align with this expectation, and will update you with any potential changes in this feature if they occur.
tavern_upload_large.jpg
and Taurus images below...
tavern_upload_large.jpg
tavern_upload_large.jpg