How did you decide your profession?

oneoff

I liked the Exploring System in Guild Wars 2, will be a casual Player and can`t hit a barn door at point blank range.

I was instantly in love when I saw the Connie for it was always my wish to play a captain.

Now I´m the proud owner of an Aquila and waiting to discover the mirakles of the PU...;)

Best way to explain my intent is :"the Star Trak way" like Jean-Lue Picard .

I like Exploration & Diplomacy with a bit of Trade/industry; I only want to dog fight when I have to.

Exploration & Diplomacy is in my Blood due to i love to work with people for the people.If this was Godfather i would be the Fixer ;)

Soon owner of a Origin 300p  :wub: 

I have selected T&I but I fully intend to spend time playing as an explorer and will always be ready for combat ops.

What I play when I log on will depend on how much time I have available. I will make sure and have ships ready to cover most situations.

We don't yet know what will be the best way to make money in game but one thing is for certain we will need lots of it to fly the shiney ships CIG keep birthing.

First I made my choice for exploration thinking that I can explore and do some bounty hunting in the meantime but I have changed my mind to Combat Ops and sub-division to Bounty Hunters because when I`m out there hunting the infidels/scum of society/one leg pirates I can explore to, so win-win.

I wish for this scenario: beeing in pursuit for a bounty...damaging the enemy ship...the enemy flee on a unknown planet and land...me going after him and take some FPS action... bang bang who`s the b****h ???....and then finding some valuable things/intel for base.

edit: maybe this bounties will be dead or alive ? .. better dead then alive :))

edit: I just bought a Blackbeard Stealth Skin so I will be going in deep undercover.

• 3 weeks later...

Exploration ofc, i think its a well rounded profession you get a bit of everything. you can get in trouble and have to fight your way out or land on a new planet and now you have to identify its resources and maybe bring a few back with you for some $$$, thrill of discovering 

I tend to do a little bit of everything, but I have always found myself devising military strategies and tactics more so than anything else. I guess the allure of fighter pilot and/or tactical command was too great... :)

Exploring seems like the natural way to go for me. I like finding things, new areas, preferably be the first one to get somewhere new.

As for making money as explorer... Most of my solo exploration will be with a well armed freelancer or constellation so I can salvage some goodies along the way. Group exploring will be in a faster, stealthier ship like a ghost hornet. Just divide the profits amongst the members of the group :-)

I picked:

• Trade & Industry

But I hope to enjoy and participate in all aspects of the game. However I don't think I really will know forsure until I am actually playing in the PU and experiencing the universe to know what I enjoy doing. 

I'm a glorified limo driver in RL hauling Mr. Billionaire from home to home or his next business deal where he'll pen his next multi-million dollar deal. I've also flown Generals and Admirals but it was never on their dime, they couldn't afford it. They were guest of Mr. Trade and Industry. Even for millionaire ex-Presidents, they later made their coin from books and speaking engagements. Sounds thrilling don't it?

Getting the 890 Jump is likely, short of winning the lottery, my only opportunity to walk up the air stairs and go right (not left) for once. In other words, you'll find me chilling in my King size bed.  

I guess I'm hoping as in real life, so goes similar money making schemes in the Verse. 

• 4 months later...

2 years (probably) from release and people are deciding on professions??! 

NFW

If I want to kill some people in PvP, I hope I can take a super hornet to nulsec (or whatever SC is going to ED's version of Anarchy Space) and mix it up with other commanders and NPCs, indiscriminately (especially after a few beers at the pub.  This has been a source of great lulz in Elite Dangerous for me).

Now I need some credits for a new ship because I just lost a few in PvP?  I want to take out an Orion and mine for a few days

Is there a group mission to blow up an NPC capital ship?  I have a Retaliator in my hangar....

I dont think any of us know how the PU will pan out as far as how "quick" game time wise you can get back to your home base and switch out for a different ship, but I hope the mechanics are possible where I can do what I want, depending on what day of the week it is!

2 years (probably) from release and people are deciding on professions??! 

NFW

If I want to kill some people in PvP, I hope I can take a super hornet to nulsec (or whatever SC is going to ED's version of Anarchy Space) and mix it up with other commanders and NPCs, indiscriminately (especially after a few beers at the pub.  This has been a source of great lulz in Elite Dangerous for me).

Now I need some credits for a new ship because I just lost a few in PvP?  I want to take out an Orion and mine for a few days

Is there a group mission to blow up an NPC capital ship?  I have a Retaliator in my hangar....

I dont think any of us know how the PU will pan out as far as how "quick" game time wise you can get back to your home base and switch out for a different ship, but I hope the mechanics are possible where I can do what I want, depending on what day of the week it is!

Definitely skypine, however, people are focusing on what their main focus will be. Maybe someone wants to be a "Jack-of-all-trades", or a Marine, or an info runner, or the owner of a Megacorp, but that doesn't mean that it is the only role they will play. It just means that they mainly intend to do that. Peoples' perceptions of roles will undoubtedly change when the game launches, but they are just saying what they primarily plan to do currently.

Exploitation is pretty much a jack-of-all-trades profession: Check things out, get into some fights, sneak past some fights, find good places to refit, and to get lost in, discover artifacts, do a bit of trading to pay for all of the previous activities. :)

Not sure if done on purpose.....lol.

I'm still very much Combat Ops. Still looking forward to supporting our members in T&I and Exploitation haha.

• 3 weeks later...

some really good points being made here.

Personally, i'll be playing hardcore and i'm looking forward to working with an organised org and helping where i can help. Being in an organised org will allow for role flexabity and efficiency. Start off being jack of all trades, helping where you can, as the game progresses you can then fine tune which profession to focus on within that org, bringing strength to the team. Focusing on the same goals will offer exciting game play. Your log'd off, someone else can fill that spot. Knowing that i'm working to grow, sustain an organisation helps drive motivation. Even if its a org of 6 people. It's win win which ever role/profession you take.

• 3 weeks later...

It's hard to nail down the profession I'm looking forward to.  My goals are simply self-sufficiency and freedom.  So, a little of everything.  A little time hauling to cover exploration expenses.  A little time exploring, to make travel faster and safer.  A little time fighting because it's fun and gets things done.  A little time doing something for others each time I exceed a goal and have some resources to burn.

Why choose?