Freelancer DUR?

BMichaelG

I got a DUR and i have compared the variants closely.

Only thing im a bit unsertain about it if say, you can kit the MAX to be a DUR but with incresed cargo space and 2 extra thrusters.

Thing is, if this is possible, the MAX can also be geared for long range low signature roles, since you can easely turn of 2 of the engines during cruise, and if u need a quick escape, just fire all them thrusters up, and you still got a ur feul tanks pritty mutch intact.

IF CIG dont keep a close watch on uniqueness in the variants, i am afraid that the MAX will be a superior ship, since its massive hull and extra thrusters gives more room for flexibility (dont forget the extra powerplant size). It can also in theory fit alot more onboard support modules like, repair, medical and prisioner modules, It would also be a far better Miner ship if modded for that role. The combat of the MAX would not be to gimped, becase it can use its rotary thrusters for a solid and fast turns to compensate for the lesser then invincible shield generator of the DUR. The extra powerplant size could be jsut as efficient for the shields if you dont take constant dmg.

Looking at the truster possitioning and engine rotations, it will fit my most used manuver in dogfighting. The vertical lif upwards will be superiour for keeping ur target lined up infront of you (just dont forget about situational awareness during astroid fields). With the extra 4 main trhusters the MAX could be pitty deadly if managed right during combat.

I find myself attracted to the Freelancer Dur for it's lower cost of operation compared to the bigger ships and the fact that it does not require a large crew, where if I use NPCs on larger ships, I gather from what I have read that I will take a major hit in terms of effectiveness. I expect I will usually be flying solo, just because that is the way I tend to play. However I also appreciate the fact that I can if I choose have as many as three NPC companions with me due to the four bunks. This is useful.

I am mostly I expect going to be exploring. Part of exploring no doubt will involve getting out of your ship to investigate things you have found. That in turn will almost invariably I expect turn into some sort of FPS encounter. Given that I mostly suck at FPS (I suck at space combat too), I like the idea of having three NPC marines with heavy firepower and heavy armor standing about, ready to rescue me if I get into trouble. The fact that they won't be quite as good as humans does not bother me terribly. They'll be infinitely better than nothing.

I have a few questions though and I am hoping someone knows the answers. Some things are very unclear when I look through various pages.

Those two big turrets on the side, I understand they are 'pivots' or something, not actual turrets. Can they fire in any direction in which they have an open field of fire or are they restricted to less than that?

I understand that those side 'pivots' come with size 4 guns. Can they be upgraded to size 5? Or am I way behind the times and have they decided to not just nerf the Freelancer, but utterly gut it by dropping them down to a max of size three?

Finally, does anyone know if the engines can be rotated 180 degrees so as to accelerate backwards? Being able to fly in reverse while firing those big guns at a pursuer could be 'very' effective. (Not to be done in the presence of asteroids of course.) Looking at the illustrations of the Freelancer Dur, it is hard to tell if the engines can clear the turret (pivot) guns. However looking at the Freelancer Max with the wider cargo bay, it does indeed look like the engines would clear the guns. Could it be the case that the Freelancer Max could pull off the flying backwards trick, while the Freelancer Dur could not?

Dude I would love to have that :)

There is no reason that we couldn't have that other than the modelers not having built the thing. There is no game logic either that says it couldn't exist. Building the model would not be all that laborious, as virtually all of it can be for all intents, cut and pasted from the existing models into the new. And for sure, a lot of players would want to go this mod route.

The refrain from the inevitable protesters might be that the existence of such a ship would be imbalancing vis--a-vis other ships. I say this is not the case, because this ship would only be the result of extensive modding of a ship, it would 'not' be a ship available for catalog purchase. That means if you lose the ship, your insurance resupplies you with the unmodded one. Yes, provision exists in the game to insure upgrades as well, but for a ship this heavily modded, that insurance will get expensive.

Personally I want for many such ships to get moddability to this same degree.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From town Hall freelancer is medium, cannot fit all jumpoints.

Isn't this a reversal of everything they've said so far? I thought they'd stated multiple times that the freelancer is the biggest ship that can fit through small jump points?

I hope it'll fit in every jump point. I have a normal FL and am looking to upgrade to the DUR. However, I do want a constellation to explore in but I'm not gonna buy one because I wanna be able to work towards something once game launches.

• 8 months later...

It is indeed a reversal of what was stated way back - that the Freelancer would be the smallest ship to go through all jump points.

In one way it makes sense since it gives a purpose to the 315-p versus the Dur. On the flip side it really crushes the whole concept of a smaller cargo ship like the Freelancer being able to get goods to places faster than the larger bulk cargo haulers that are forced to take the long way around. THIS is why I got a Freelancer way back when, as one of my first ships. Now that spot is taken by Hull-A or Reliant ??

I have a question in the massive gob of 10 For Chairman about this. Even if it is not popped for an answer, sooner or later they will have to make an official statement about this to clarify. - DRUM out

Agreed. Besides the obvious use as a utilitarian craft and essentially an armed, long distance hauler.. the biggest ticket for the freelancers were that they could get through the smallest jump holes.

now.. what's their sales spiel? The Freelancers have become just stepping stones to Connies... at least, in my current opinion. I hope CIG changes my mind. Would love to love my Freelancer again.

It is indeed a reversal of what was stated way back - that the Freelancer would be the smallest ship to go through all jump points.

In one way it makes sense since it gives a purpose to the 315-p versus the Dur. On the flip side it really crushes the whole concept of a smaller cargo ship like the Freelancer being able to get goods to places faster than the larger bulk cargo haulers that are forced to take the long way around. THIS is why I got a Freelancer way back when, as one of my first ships. Now that spot is taken by Hull-A or Reliant ??

I have a question in the massive gob of 10 For Chairman about this. Even if it is not popped for an answer, sooner or later they will have to make an official statement about this to clarify. - DRUM out

@Drum, @NewzyOne, what did I miss? 

Ahh...nevermind, stuff from the townhall.  I'm honestly not worried.  Remember, what they say is subject to change all of the time (it allows them creative freedom), but the size difference between small and medium and large wouldn't make much sense.  Fighters only through small jumps?  Fighters don't carry much fuel, so whats the point in sending them through alone?

On that note and to show my faith in the DUR, mine somehow has become LTI thanks to that CCU system they've put in place. ^_^

Edited by FoxChard

Fighters only through small jumps?  Fighters don't carry much fuel, so whats the point in sending them through alone?

On that note and to show my faith in the DUR, mine somehow has become LTI thanks to that CCU system they've put in place. ^_^

I could see a group of explorers coming across a small jumppoint/wormhole. it would then make sense to send a fighter through to plot it and then head back to the group/mothership.

I have a DUR as well and I can't wait to fly it. I wonder if the redesign will do something about the viewing angles. The Constellation Aquila and the Carrack both have a bridge specifically designed to give a better view. I hope they do something for the DUR as well. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, MortimerSnurd said:

Here is the latest news I know of regarding the Freelancer's ability to use small jump points.  

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/citizen-spotlight/2488-The-Holoview-EP-15-Bar-Citizen-2

Well, Chris Roberts just gabbing was what pulled the Freelancer out of the category of being the largest ship to use all JP's in the first place. In this Gin For The Chairman episode (18:45) he insinuates that there has at least been some thought of a smaller than small JP (petite?). Have to wait it out for details.

There is still the question of why use a 315p if you can use a Dur. So maybe a Petite JP size may actually develop, to give a specific function to the 315p, as well as a usage for really small transports, like the Aurora, etc.  As it stands, maneuvering (more thrusters) is the only real advantage to a 315p. Would this assist in the actual mapping of a JP? No clue, but if I was zipping along in an unmapped Jump Point, I imagine I would want to be as dexterous as possible.

We won't know until we do (or Chris gabs his way into another corner)... - DRUM out

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Gabriel Theodoulos said:

I have a question regarding the MISC Freelancer DUR.

Is this a "solo-able" ship?

I am seriously looking at the MISC Prospector, and am planning on CCU'ing my Origin 315P, but only if I can solo work in my Freelancer DUR.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Ideally you want 2 people for a DUR but the extra person could be one of your NPCS. ... so answer is yes 

7 hours ago, Gabriel Theodoulos said:

I have a question regarding the MISC Freelancer DUR.

Is this a "solo-able" ship?

I am seriously looking at the MISC Prospector, and am planning on CCU'ing my Origin 315P, but only if I can solo work in my Freelancer DUR.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Hi Gab! 
I basically did that. As of what I heard is that you will be able to actually solo and do some scanning while in the pilot seat, but this is yet to be hard-confirmed.

I swamped my 315P for a Reliant Sen, though, as I will use my Freelancer DUR.

Now in any case that the Freelancer DUR is not solo-able (anymore), may I recommend you this philosophy: Because the 315p is a "tiny" ship: it will be easy to obtain/afford, maintain and insure on PU live, you will probably sacrifice a bit of your time in doing something else than exploring until you hit the quantity to purchase and insure a 315p. This is what I will do and this is also the reason why I'm currently investing in more expensive and economical-strong ships. :-)

Like @VoA  said, the ideal would be 2 persons, and when NPCs can do these secondary tasks well enough, it'll be a more effective solo-able ship. But as said before: if I recall correctly I thought I had heard that the Freelancer will be completely solo-able when it comes to scanning and flying, but I cannot find any hard proof at this point because the statement was a while back ago.