Mustang (+ Variants)

VoA

We got the image on the right earlier (and at first it looked like it could be a Cutlass Variant) ----- but after the image on the left also showed up - it clearly is  not a Cutlass.  I started thinking that it could be an Avenger Variant - but now I am thinking it is the Mustang.  What do you think?

10443188_700449713341651_238662965112111

Another awesome video from Teller  - Note you can see the Gladiator in the background

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_FyI9ajCpk

It is a constellation variant. The cutlass and the Conney are the only ones who have sales coming up soon. The cabin seems too big for the cutlass so I would conclude the Conny is that variant.

It is a constellation variant. The cutlass and the Conney are the only ones who have sales coming up soon. The cabin seems too big for the cutlass so I would conclude the Conny is that variant.

I agree there is a good possibility it could be a Connie Variant.... however..... you don't need to limit the options to only things that are "coming soon."  They are far enough on the Mustang for instance to be a Mustang (and if you look at the ceiling of the image it matches the Ceiling of the Mustang - including the floor hatch matching the Mustang).  There is still a good case for it being an Avenger as well because the Orange "3" on the wall matches the graphic style of the Avenger (and I am sure they are working hard currently on the Avenger as well)

My guess is the OP pics are of the crew quarters or apartment module for the Retaliator.

The shape of the roof seems like it conforms to the shape of the Tali's forward-side fuselage. It seems like the Aegis Dynamics style -- although RSI is also a possibility. The early concept art and renderings of the Tali's interior are similar, especially the octagonal doors and hatches. The layout of the room suggests militarily spartan, rather than civilian comfort. It's too spacious and well-equipped to be the crew quarters for enlisted personnel (they'd have bunks or sleeping pods); it's likely the Captain's Cabin.

The shape of the room doesn't seem to match a Constellation. The room is too long to be oriented laterally -- unless the Connie's size has been significantly increased, making it wide enough for one of these cabins to be on either side of a centre-line corridor. If the room was oriented longitudinally, why would it have a hatch instead of a full-size door? And it's not nearly luxurious enough to be a crew or passenger cabin for the Luxury Connie.

I think the crew cabin is too large and well-equipped to be for a Drake Interplanetary ship, and doesn't match the style of the Cutlass' interior.

So my guess is that it's the crew compartment for either the military or civilian version of the Retaliator. :)

If those pics are of a Mustang's interior, then it would have to be a different hull.

It was speculated that the Mustang could carry a sleeping berth module instead of a cargo container, and the two could be swapped out for different missions. However, the interior cabin seems larger than the cargo pod, which probably means it's a variant model with a different hull, which has zero cargo capacity.

This isn't unwelcome, but it is surprising, because the description of the Mustang states:

Using newly-developed construction techniques and ultralight material alloys sometimes considered unsafe, the Mustang pushes power ratios to the limit. The result is a sleek, stylish spacecraft that weighs less than the Aurora and has more options for engines and thrusters… at the expense of some stability, weapons hardpoints and cargo capacity.

Apparently the Mustang's description doesn't correlate to its stats, because the Mustang is larger and heavier than the Aurora, and has better weapon hardpoints (a Class-4 turret -- although no missiles). If the pics of the interior are for a Mustang variant, then it's true that the Mustang has less cargo capacity than the Aurora -- although there are pics that show the Mustang can carry a cargo pod, similar to the Aurora, which suggests they have comparable cargo capacity.

So the only real difference is that the Aurora has a sleeping berth and can carry cargo, whereas the Mustang cannot have both; owners will have to choose one or the other.

I agree with Reavern that the hull is different than the Mustang. In the Mustang cockpit the windows go back past the seat where the new pic shows a wall with a hatch. The interior of the Mustang would have to be stretched to two or three times the length to fit that bed and all of the extra space in front of it. Also, there are stairs in this one and there are no stairs in the Mustang image. To me it looks like the interior of the Freelancer for length and how narrow it is. Could be the sleeping quarters of the new DUR. Or… part of a larger ship like the Connie or similar sized. I think with them just coming out with the Mustang for sale they would not be redoing the interior at this point. There are other ships they have promised variants of that we have seen almost nothing about yet and some of these are hopefully going to be out very soon :)

I agree with Reavern that the hull is different than the Mustang. In the Mustang cockpit the windows go back past the seat where the new pic shows a wall with a hatch. The interior of the Mustang would have to be stretched to two or three times the length to fit that bed and all of the extra space in front of it. Also, there are stairs in this one and there are no stairs in the Mustang image. To me it looks like the interior of the Freelancer for length and how narrow it is. Could be the sleeping quarters of the new DUR. Or… part of a larger ship like the Connie or similar sized. I think with them just coming out with the Mustang for sale they would not be redoing the interior at this point. There are other ships they have promised variants of that we have seen almost nothing about yet and some of these are hopefully going to be out very soon :)

IF that pic is of a Mustang variant's interior, it would have to be a separate compartment from the cockpit, accessible through the hatch at the back of the Mustang's cockpit cabin.

There appears to be a sliding hatch on the floor of the sleeping compartment next to the bed, as well as a hollow space underneath it, which I believe is the EVA Chamber for this Mustang variant model.

n1dXrPy.png

(Those aren't my notes -- I'm just reusing the pic that Signal Warden posted.)

It wouldn't be the most efficient way to get in and out of the Mustang, but it would be possible. Hopefully the Mustang has an ejector seat, otherwise pilot survivability would be a serious problem, because it would take too long to bail out of the Mustang. (I don't think the Aurora has an ejector seat either, but at least the entry/exit hatches are directly behind the pilot's seat.)

IF that pic is of a Mustang variant's interior, it would have to be a separate compartment from the cockpit, accessible through the hatch at the back of the Mustang's cockpit cabin.

This is a great catch and deepens the mystery a bit more.  The element that turned me onto the Mustang for the pictures is the ceiling shape in the other image.  The EVA Hatch on the Right Side and the Mustang Art help the argument (as does the Orange graphic "3" on the wall - since the Mustang has a new ship Manufacturer "Consolidated Outland" -- but it could be Aegis or even Origin with characteristics of their graphics as well).

The extra "hatch" on the floor (and this image --- if a "Mustang" --- would be between the cockpit seat and the EVA Hatch).... could be for the "Variant" only.  I have a feeling this floor hatch would access an extra "external" cargo pod beneath the belly of the ship (not possible on the base model Mustang).   The Base Model Mustang would  have a The Variant could have another externally attached cargo (like the Aurora) that can actually be access inside the ship ------ or -------- >>> this floor hatch could be how you exit the ship if the regular EVA Hatch is blocked by the possible external cargo pod.

The hull is different than the stock Mustang, no question. However with the recent showing of variants that have completely different hulls, that makes sense. I don't understand what you mean in regards to the cockpit. The image I used doesn't have the cockpit in it. The second one with the cutaway does, but not the unknown variant image. 

There appears to be a sliding hatch on the floor of the sleeping compartment next to the bed, as well as a hollow space underneath it, which I believe is the EVA Chamber for this Mustang variant model.

n1dXrPy.png

(Those aren't my notes -- I'm just reusing the pic that Signal Warden posted.)

It wouldn't be the most efficient way to get in and out of the Mustang, but it would be possible. Hopefully the Mustang has an ejector seat, otherwise pilot survivability would be a serious problem, because it would take too long to bail out of the Mustang. (I don't think the Aurora has an ejector seat either, but at least the entry/exit hatches are directly behind the pilot's seat.)

I think the EVA chamber entrance is probably still the same. The only difference is now there would be a second door in the chamber, one going to the cockpit and one to the living quarters. I think the sliding panel at the bottom is just storage space. Also, if you look, the EVA chamber floor and the living quarter floor are level, which would account almost exactly for the cargo space, so as you mentioned it wouldn't be able to haul cargo. You get one or the other but not both. I kind of like this idea because it does still give the Aurora some sense of purpose. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There seems like too much interior space for a ship that size. It looks like more space than the 300i, heaps more space than an aurora and getting close to the space inside an avenger IMO. Moreover, it leaves little space for the functional bits like the reactor, fuel, etc. 

Having said all that, if this is indeed a camper variant of the mustang it could make sense. If it is a dedicated camper variant, it may sacrifice powerplant size or upgrade capacity.