Build help building a rig for sc on a tight budget

TitanEntity

okay, so i got the Sapphire r9 270x vapor x for a bargain on special, had to buy it, special was on till stock lasts so what the hell. bought it.

my in tensions were that i would buy everything at once, but because of the special got my graphics card 3weeks before i buy the rest of the computer ( specs below of what i will be getting end of the month)

FX 8350
MSI 990FX GD 80
8GB DDR3 1600 VENGEANCE PERFORMANCE RAM

SAPPHIRE R9 270X VAPOR X

ANTEC 650WATT TRUE POWER
NZXT CRAFTED SERIES TEMPEST 410 ELITE BLACK MID CASE

---------------------------

So i remove my GTS 450 Clyclone, throw on the 270x and hope for the best.

My current specs are

AMD ATHLON DUAL CORE 5600+ 2.6GHZ

FOXCONN ALBATRON 8X PCI EXPRESS (CRAP MOBO I BOUGHT WHEN I HAD NO CASH WHEN OLD MOBO PACKED UP)
600 WATT POWER SUPPLY (SOME CHEAPY DONT EVEN KNOW THE BRAND)
NOW THE R9 270X

4GB DDR2 800 RAM

-------------------------------

So with these components, really bottlenecking my gfx card. i didnt expect a big FPS increase in SC, but boy was i surprised.

With the 450gts cyclone overclocked, i was getting 4fps low 11fps average and 14 highest FPS in the hangar (with budget hangar and 2 300i) on low 1920 1080 res, with r_motionblur 0 and r_vysnc 0.

With just adding the r9 270x im getting 26 fps low 39 average 53 highest on very high 1920 1080 res with r_motionblur 0 and r_vysnc 0.

still have to test the AC with this card, i will do free flight now on the first map and then free flight on broken moon then i will try swarm next.

I just find that this is interesting with such low end components very out dated and obsolete very little ram on a dual core, im getting amazing playable fps in the hangar. lets hold thumbs for the AC missions.

"to add"

Dying Star i am getting about 15FPS lowest 22 being average and highest 32 (this all depends on where the front part of my ship is facing, the less rocks i look at the more frames obviously)

I will check Broken moon a little later and keep you all up to date.

yes sorry forgot to mention, i will be using a 128gb SSD for now, i might have to get another when SC is fully released, i have a feeling SC will be HUGE.

I am assuming that this PSU is under powered, but the Antec 650 true power is rather efficient think its gold 80+ rating

The build i am going for at the top, with the fx 8350 is just temp for alpha and beta, when SC comes out, i will buy the new Generation components, thing is i needed to upgrade, as you can see from my current hardware, but i did not want to upgrade to i7 4770k 16/32gb ram r9 290x or 780 ti, etc.. when SC comes out i will rather spec my system based on the requirements at that time:)

I just want to show people that with such old hardware i am getting surprising FPS, i just found it a little interesting, because it was very surprising to me.

I know there are a lot of people out there on a tight budget who also want to play AC etc, and take part in the Alpha/beta but are unsure on what hardware to buy.

I think this may help some people with a low budget, to ease their mind, that they dont need to buy all the latest hardware for AC to participate in the fun for now :)

I do agree once SC comes out, i doubt the FX build i am getting at the end of the month will be enough to play SC on max at 1080p :) but then again who knows for sure, Perhaps just buying the latest graphics card at the time and popping it in to the build may be enough, since my 8 year old hardware is still doing a lot more then i expected it to do :)

600W should be fine for that build.  I think that card is rated at 180W.  Although if your psu is 8 years old like you said your machine is, then it's old and a new one might be in order and you should take the advice of the others who posted here about future proofing it.

I have posted this before, But I also have an older spec computer, with a new GPU, and it runs the game very well.

Intel Core2quad Q9550 @3.67

8gb DDR2

R9-290

550W

Very High at 1680x1050 I average about 45, with 20 as low on Vanduul Swarm in later waved. and up to 100 in the hangar looking at my two ships (now 4 because of the trainers)

I don't see the point in buying or building a pc at this moment in time, unless you can't play AC. I would save that money and maybe try add to it little by little each month and wait until the day before they release Sq.42.

The prices you're paying now will probably get you a much better system in 2015.

I don't see the point in buying or building a pc at this moment in time, unless you can't play AC. I would save that money and maybe try add to it little by little each month and wait until the day before they release Sq.42.

The prices you're paying now will probably get you a much better system in 2015.

This can't be stressed enough, pace yourself and your purchases. Buying everything at once isn't a good idea. Waiting to buy those parts means that you're more likely to be able to take advantage of sales between now and release day, and that you'll have a better idea of what parts to buy as more information comes out considering that the game is far from release.

At least wait till 1.0 is out before buying anything. It is rather pointless to play it the way multi-player is going currently (rubber-banding ftl). We will all also have a better idea of what the resources needed to play then are since more players will be in the game.

As I have seen mentioned before, cpus and gpus are only going to become more efficient. That being said you don't really need anything over 1000 watts, I've got the Corsair ax760 which bottoms out at 800 watts. Depending on you build anything around 750 watts should do you fine. 

That being said I would invest in a "name brand psu" such as Corsair etc., so your psu can deliver it's full wattage without any dips in voltage. The upside of buying a brand like Corsair is a pretty good warranty there normally five years plus! 

I would change that 8350 for a 8320. The 8350 is basically an 8320 overclocked, so if you're into overclocking, you can reach the same clock speed with the 8320 and save some money

Struggle to find a 8320 in south africa, already looked, getting the 8350 at a nice price thouh so not too worried.

Also look into researching your local Internet Service Providers. A fast, stable, low ping will also help you when multiplayer dogfighting.

My internet is really bad, internet in south africa is terrible in general. So cant escape that

As I have seen mentioned before, cpus and gpus are only going to become more efficient. That being said you don't really need anything over 1000 watts, I've got the Corsair ax760 which bottoms out at 800 watts. Depending on you build anything around 750 watts should do you fine. 

That being said I would invest in a "name brand psu" such as Corsair etc., so your psu can deliver it's full wattage without any dips in voltage. The upside of buying a brand like Corsair is a pretty good warranty there normally five years plus!

Going for a antec 650 true power psu, antec are nice psu seasonic internals, must check warranty though.

Struggle to find a 8320 in south africa, already looked, getting the 8350 at a nice price thouh so not too worried.

My internet is really bad, internet in south africa is terrible in general. So cant escape that

Going for a antec 650 true power psu, antec are nice psu seasonic internals, must check warranty though.

Unless you plan to SLI/Crossfire, getting a 650-750W PSU is sufficient. Make sure it's got 30 amp available for the GPU though.