Help Needed! - Competition Vote

Kenetor

Greetings fellow citizens and imperialists!

I am locked in heated battle of art, charm and voting!

I entered an art competition run the awesome Pleasure on the office forums to win a copy of the Quixel suit, this tool is simply amazeballs when it comes to texturing game assets and i hope to use it on future SC projects.

Im a close second so far and need more help to get to first but the deadline for voting is short now and will end Friday 20th 16:00 GMT.

I hate resorting to asking but I really think this tool is worth the shame in doing so.

If you can and haven't already, many thanks to those that have, please vote for me here:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/148796/voting-for-the-quixel-contest EDIT: VOTING IS NOW CLOSED!

Texturing the crate shown under my name in the post only took me 3 hours or so, and had not used it before, when normally to put such detail into a texture would take many more times that, just to give you an idea of how useful this tool is!

Also SC is all about community so lets show them what we can do ^_^

Many thanks my friends.

Kenetor

Yep, voted for you yesterday, you and the other guy are favorites anyway, I like your texture more, too much weather effects on the other one, yours is perfectly balanced. Good luck in competition.

Got my vote.

Have to say if NBGZore did not have such a shitty background he would have gotten my vote. 

Glad to see you have a decent lead ( this is at the time of my vote )

Thanks you guys, I think it might be enough to see me through, but ill keep an eye on it!

I really wanna make a new crate with more base detail as well now, it was really fun doing the compilation!

Kenetor

Because of this thread, I actually got to play around with Quixel SUITE. It's currently in open beta. I've seen it before when I saw the video of how Deus Ex could look on Unreal Engine 4. It was neat being able to texture that crate so easily and have it look realistic. I'm not a 2D artist so I'd have trouble customizing it with like the grille and yellow and black stripes like you did, especially since the stripes aren't perfectly straight in the texture.

Because of this thread, I actually got to play around with Quixel SUITE. It's currently in open beta. I've seen it before when I saw the video of how Deus Ex could look on Unreal Engine 4. It was neat being able to texture that crate so easily and have it look realistic. I'm not a 2D artist so I'd have trouble customizing it with like the grille and yellow and black stripes like you did, especially since the stripes aren't perfectly straight in the texture.

It is a brilliant tool, I really have trouble with the 2D side, i prefer the modeling and lighting.

It wasnt the best unwrap of the model either, certainly not how i would of done it, but hey you work with what you have!

Did you create a new normal map after you finalized the texture or did you just use the original one? If you created a new one, what did you use to do it?

The problem I see with generating a new normal map from the actual finished texture is that there are some things you don't want bump for, like the yellow and black stripes. For the scratches, they are usually lighter than the unscratched parts. So with the generated normal map from the texture, it would look like the scratches are sticking out rather than in.

I have problems with this when I get finished textures I have to create normal maps for. I use Bitmap2Material with Substance Player.