Welcome to Star Citizen Base
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Constellation

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

Exitre

Exitre

Ideation Station

• Combat Ops
  • 519 posts
  • Pledge:Rear Admiral

Personally, I'd much rather have Class II hardpoints (which are gimballed) than Class I (fixed), as the big Connie won't have the lateral/angular maneuverability of, say, a Hornet, required to get those Class I guns lined up. While they may do less DPS, if I can land more hits on target, then who cares?  Reallocating that to increased upgrade slots is a positive change IMO.

Besides, I've always envisioned my Connie being a flying missile boat anyhow -- the lasers are nice for picking off stragglers, while the manned turrets cover my six  :ph34r:

Size Matters - Join The Iron Fist of Imperium - Bring a Big One

kvI6EFg.pnglWZ5jcN.pngC.C.C.

The Sun Never Sets

Reavern

Reavern

Warrior Wordsmith

• CombatOps Officer
  • 1,989 posts
  • Pledge:Grand Admiral
I expect that the Connie will be fairly agile, thanks to its pivoting engine nacelles and TR3 maneuvering thrusters. I don't expect it to be as agile as Hornet or M50, but I think it could've utilized 2 fixed forward-firing Laser cannons, especially against larger, slower targets like the Retaliator or Idris. My concern is that with two gunners operating the Connie's turrets, the pilot only has the 4 Class-2 guns, which look like peashooters, similar to the Avenger's 2 x Behring Mk1 Pin laser cannons. I would find it extremely frustrating if the only guns I could operate while flying my Connie were under-powered. Hopefully that's not the case. As for the Connie being a missile boat, I would've agreed with you before, because it looked like it could carry 118 missiles from the brochure pics. But the new ship stats say that its 2 x dorsal missile batteries only hold 8 missiles each, and I expect the swing arms to be the same. That's a maximum of 48 missiles; nearly 1/3rd of what it originally seemed. I suppose it could still be considered a "missile boat" compared to a Hornet or Freelancer, but it's significant reduction in firepower -- ALL across the board.

Exitre

Exitre

Ideation Station

• Combat Ops
  • 519 posts
Don't forget the P52, which is essentially a flying gun platform. I see what you're saying about not wanting to be piloting the Connie and feel (personally) underpowered, but I think you have to consider its full complement. In this size class, even 48 is a huge missile complement, especially if a Hornet wants to equip countermeasures (which it should). I think the Connie is intended to counter smaller ships (superiority to fighters) rather than larger ones like the Idris or Retaliator. In fact, I view those two ships specifically as the Connie's natural counter due to it being a relatively large target for the Idris's railgun or the Retaliator's torpedoes.

The Sun Never Sets

Reavern

Reavern

Warrior Wordsmith

• CombatOps Officer
  • 1,989 posts

I just noticed that the New Ship Stats say that the Constellation is equipped with Hammeer Propulsion HE 5.5 TR5 engines (main thrusters). The Max Engine is still 4 x TR6, but the Constellation apparently only comes equipped with TR5s.

I've noticed that all 5 of the standard pledge ships, the base models come equipped with engines that are one Thruster Rating lower than its Max Engine.

The Aurora's Max Engine is TR3, and the ES comes with a TR2. The Origin 300 series' Max Engine is TR4, and the 300i comes with a TR3. The Hornet's Max Engine is TR4, and the F7C Civilian Hornet comes with a TR3. Freelancer: Max 2 x TR5, comes with 2 x TR4. Constellation: Max 4 x TR6, comes with 4 x TR5.

I expect this means that the base models for ALL of the ships will come with engines that are one TR lower than their Max Engine rating.

Maverick

Maverick

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

• Fleet Member
  • 1,652 posts

Which makes absolutely sense for base models. :)

Where else would be the fun to upgrade them? :)

Posted Image

Stoff

Stoff

www.twitch.tv/stoffieuf

• Sub-Commander
  • 4,894 posts
  • Pledge:Space Marshal

I just noticed that the New Ship Stats say that the Constellation is equipped with Hammeer Propulsion HE 5.5 TR5 engines (main thrusters). The Max Engine is still 4 x TR6, but the Constellation apparently only comes equipped with TR5s.

I've noticed that all 5 of the standard pledge ships, the base models come equipped with engines that are one Thruster Rating lower than its Max Engine.

The Aurora's Max Engine is TR3, and the ES comes with a TR2. The Origin 300 series' Max Engine is TR4, and the 300i comes with a TR3. The Hornet's Max Engine is TR4, and the F7C Civilian Hornet comes with a TR3. Freelancer: Max 2 x TR5, comes with 2 x TR4. Constellation: Max 4 x TR6, comes with 4 x TR5.

I expect this means that the base models for ALL of the ships will come with engines that are one TR lower than their Max Engine rating.

Which makes absolutely sense for base models. :)

Where else would be the fun to upgrade them? :)

Yeah, im sure that some variation will have an TR6 instead, but base has TR5 because power needs to be located at other places, etc or such. :)

Posted Image

Reavern

Reavern

Warrior Wordsmith

• CombatOps Officer
  • 1,989 posts

Yeah, im sure that some variation will have an TR6 instead, but base has TR5 because power needs to be located at other places, etc or such. :)

I understand that. :) It was more of a FYI than anything, to make everyone aware that the base model ships apparently don't have the max-rated thrusters as originally advertised.

I recall that a lot of backers who bought the 325a Interdictor were upset that it's equipped with a TR3 engine instead of a TR4, like the 315p. I understand that the explanation is probably so that the 325a's engine doesn't sap too much power from its weapons and shields, which should take priority for a combat ship. On the flipside, the 350r's wingtip laser cannons were downgraded to Omnisky IIIs, which presumably require less power, so the Racing ship has maximum power to its twin TR3 engines.

If the (hypothetical) Space Superiority model of the Constellation comes equipped with TR5 main engines instead of TR6s -- for the same reason as the 325a -- I intend to upgrade its engines to TR6s, and upgrade the Connie's power plant to compensate, because I'm going to need a fast and powerful ship for [color=rgb(255,0,0);]Vanduul Hunting[/color]. B)

Exocet

Exocet
  • Exploration
  • 141 posts
  • Pledge:Colonel

I'm considering melting down my freelancer and 300i to put toward a Connie. It will still leave me with a Hornet and Cutlass...I think I'd be happy with that (for now). Does the Connie come with the Merlin or is that ship just not available yet?

*EDIT* Bought one...now I know.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thin floor on this bird ;)

Posted Image

• Maverick likes this

Posted Image

Reavern

Reavern

Warrior Wordsmith

• CombatOps Officer
  • 1,989 posts

We can't be certain if the Constellation comes with the Merlin snubfighter or not.

CIG's original specs for all of the ships were much greater than the base model for each ship. Backers pledged for the ships assuming they matched the specs, but when the brochures for the Aurora and 300 series were released, they realized that they were only getting the base model ships, and they'd have to pay extra to upgrade to the ships that they assumed they were getting from the start.

So despite that CR said that the Constellation comes with the snubfighter, I doubt that the base model Constellation will have it. It wouldn't surprise me if only the Limited Edition Constellation included the Merlin, and it cost over $400 -- and CIG justified the nearly double price as "Well, you're getting a second ship with the Limited Edition Constellation, so that's why it's so expensive." :rolleyes:

Exocet

Exocet
  • Exploration
  • 141 posts

We can't be certain if the Constellation comes with the Merlin snubfighter or not.

CIG's original specs for all of the ships were much greater than the base model for each ship. Backers pledged for the ships assuming they matched the specs, but when the brochures for the Aurora and 300 series were released, they realized that they were only getting the base model ships, and they'd have to pay extra to upgrade to the ships that they assumed they were getting from the start.

So despite that CR said that the Constellation comes with the snubfighter, I doubt that the base model Constellation will have it. It wouldn't surprise me if only the Limited Edition Constellation included the Merlin, and it cost over $400 -- and CIG justified the nearly double price as "Well, you're getting a second ship with the Limited Edition Constellation, so that's why it's so expensive." :rolleyes:

Certainly a possibility...but I can see it through the window in my Connie now so for them to take it away would just be cruel!

**EDIT**

It says on the P52 on the Ship spec page, and I quote "Coming standard with the constellation, the P52..."

https://robertsspace....com/ship-specs

woot!

Posted Image

Reavern

Reavern

Warrior Wordsmith

• CombatOps Officer
  • 1,989 posts

Certainly a possibility...but I can see it through the window in my Connie now so for them to take it away would just be cruel!

**EDIT**

It says on the P52 on the Ship spec page, and I quote "Coming standard with the constellation, the P52..."

https://robertsspace....com/ship-specs

woot!

As I mentioned, CIG has fooled us before by saying ships will be equipped a certain way, then reneging later and asking for more money. <_<

The fact is that the Constellation's description in new Ship Specs and RSI Store doesn't explicitly state that the Constellation comes with the P52 Merlin snubfighter:

RSI Constellation

When you think handsome bounty hunter making his own way in a galaxy of enemies, you think the Constellation. The Constellation, a multi-person freighter, is the most popular ship in RSI’s current production array. Constellations are beloved by smugglers and merchants alike because they are modular, high powered… and just downright iconic-looking. The Constellation includes a manned turret, a large cargo area and a small flight deck capable of launching a snub fighter in its own defense.

The Constellation's description says it's "capable of" launching a snubfighter, not that it is included with every Constellation.

You're right that the Merlin's description says "Coming standard with the Constellation..."

However, I predict that when the Constellation brochure is released, probably in November, the Merlin's description will be amended to a specific model of the Constellation, probably the Limited Edition.

Perhaps you noticed in the Constellation's store description that it only refers to "a" manned turret, as in ONE -- but the Ship Specs indicate it has 2 x Klaus & Werner CF-227 Panther twin turret. And it doesn't mention the Constellation's other weapons. Perhaps the description is focusing on the ship's best selling features... but I suspect that it's referring to the base model Constellation's loadout, which probably only has the dorsal turret (similar to how the 300i only has the wing-tip laser cannons).

Admittedly, I could be wrong. It's possible that the Constellation comes loaded for bear with all of the weapons in the Ship Specs, including the Merlin snubfighter... But I wouldn't bet on it. ;)

Exocet

Exocet
  • Exploration
  • 141 posts

Well I can't argue with that logic Reavern. I hadn't thought of it like that...but I can still hope you're wrong! ;)

Until we know for sure either way, I'll enjoy the glimpse I get through the Merlin bay window.

Posted Image

Sassem

Sassem
  • Trade & Industry
  • 113 posts
Perhaps you noticed in the Constellation's store description that it only refers to "a" manned turret, as in ONE -- but the Ship Specs indicate it has 2 x Klaus & Werner CF-227 Panther twin turret. And it doesn't mention the Constellation's other weapons. Perhaps the description is focusing on the ship's best selling features... but I suspect that it's referring to the base model Constellation's loadout, which probably only has the dorsal turret (similar to how the 300i only has the wing-tip laser cannons).  

Owww  and when that happens we will see another rage  explosion on the RSI forums

Raven has a point but i don't think they  will not exclude the snub fighter and disable 1 manned turret for the backers before  November this year

So i hope these newer descriptions are for the people that buy those ships after November this year and he is preparing us silently what to expect when this crazy year for us  and them will look like (ship/package wise) after November 2013 and you probably only can buy stripped ships with a only very basic equipment and armament

Signature_new_templateSassem_zps57990a7e

Kesomir

Kesomir
  • Trade & Industry
  • 65 posts
  • Pledge:Civilian

Now that the hanger module is out, I am more inclined to believe that the Larger ships may not even be released in the editions like the smaller ones have.

I guess it depends on how well the crowdfunding goes, but I can easily see the limited edition retaliator, starfarer, scythe etc coming well equipped and not having an edition sale.

With the LTI deadline approaching, I expect the F7A to be released (possibly along with other variants), but I think the large ships may be considered too expensive to do this with.

Since many of the ships aren't complete yet, I don't see an LTI variant sale happening for them. Maybe Avenger / Cutlass at a push?

Posted Image

Reavern

Reavern

Warrior Wordsmith

• CombatOps Officer
  • 1,989 posts

CIG has confirmed that the 5 basic pledge ships will all have brochures. The Hornet brochure is due to be released soon. The Freelancer brochure will follow soon after, probably in October. And the Constellation brochure will probably be released in November, just in time for LTI deadline on November 26, 2013.

I disagree that CIG won't release ship brochures for the larger and more expensive limited ships, even after the LTI deadline. If CIG stops releasing ship brochures after Nov 26, their funding will dry up, because there won't be anything for backers to buy. There's no way that CIG will do that to themselves.

CIG will almost certainly release brochures for ALL of the ships, regardless of how expensive they are.

The question is whether CIG will allow LTI ship owners to upgrade to the improved models and still keep their LTI after Nov 26. Or if we'll have to decide between keeping our LTI for the base model ships we already own, or giving up LTI to buy the upgraded models. I'm hoping CIG gives Original and Veteran Backers a break for our long-term loyalty and allows us to upgrade and still keep our LTI. :)

DangerZone

DangerZone
  • Fleet Member
  • 38 posts

I agree with the idea that the Constellation looks like the best ship "pound for pound." Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's something that I will be purchasing right away. I think that my budget is going to be closer to $200-250 total, and the possibilty of getting two "single feature dominant" ships (a dogfighting Hornet and an exploring Freelancer) seems like a more fun/varied way to play Star Citizen than buying a single Constellation. At least IMO. Another factor of my decision is that I'd like to have something to aim for as I play the game. Also, perhaps when the Origin 890 Jump is released it is a "luxury Constellation," and that is what I end up wanting...

Exocet

Exocet
  • Exploration
  • 141 posts

What is this 890 Jump you speak of? Smells like my Connie might be melting already....

Posted Image

Reavern

Reavern

Warrior Wordsmith

• CombatOps Officer
  • 1,989 posts

What is this 890 Jump you speak of? Smells like my Connie might be melting already....

It's supposedly a Constellation-size luxury yacht made by Origin JumpWorks.

The only official reference to the 890 Jump ship is a single line on the last page of the Origin 300 series' brochure. From that single mention, a lot of people have fantasized about owning one.

I doubt it's going to happen -- at least not until after the retail launch of Star Citizen. CIG can't keep adding ships if they want to make the intended launch date of late 2014 or early 2015.

DangerZone

DangerZone
  • Fleet Member
  • 38 posts

Reavern is correct (AFAIK) that there is only a singular mention of the 890 Jump, and that is in the 300i brochure. Here's the StarCitizenBase thread that exists for the ship if you want to read "more": http://forums.starci...p-the-890-jump/. I am guilty of projecting based on almost zero information, but it will definitely be a luxurious ship (as explicity mentioned in the brochure and the fact that it's an Origin ship to begin with) and since it has a fairly high number (890!) that means it will be big, right? So, therefore it's a luxury Stella.

I also agree that it's likely that we won't see the ship in 2013, but it is a little curious that they'd mention the 890 Jump if we won't be seeing it before the game launches. But who knows.

Exitre

Exitre

Ideation Station

• Combat Ops
  • 519 posts

$21M stretch goal anyone?

The Sun Never Sets

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users