I guess I'm not allowed to get Windows 10

Donut

I followed all of the steps, I have a genuine copy of Windows 8.1 and yet I'm still unable to get the upgrade. If anyone needs more info or willing to help me, that would be great. Restarted multiple times to check for updates, still nothing. 

cant download windows 10 1.png

cant download windows 10 2.png

cant download windows 10 3.png

cant download windows 10 4.png

cant download windows 10 5.png

cant download windows 10 6.png

Always make a backup of your files!

Have you tried forcing the upgrade, using the media creation tool? http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download the appropriate bit version of the media creation tool. In the menu, pick the option 'upgrade' and follow the steps accordingly. It is highly recommended to run the upgrade option first, prior to the fresh install(where the second option comes in). There have been reports of the hardware registration gone wrong, when fresh install is done, before using the upgrade option.

After the upgrade is completed check whether the activation is completed by doing the following:

1. Click the windows icon at the bottom left of the screen
  2. Click Settings
  3. Click on the category Update and Security. (My system is in dutch, translation might occur to be the other way around)
  4. Click on the tab activation

There it should say "Edition: Windows 10 home" and "Activation: Windows is activated". Once you see this, you've have succesfully upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Window 10 Home. Afterwards you are free to do as you like. I personally did a clean install afterwards.

NOTE: For a clean install you just need to create a bootable CD/DVD or USB using the media creation tool, and install as you would normally install a windows operating system on your computer. No prior windows install needed nor any upgrades. Windows 10 is registered to your Motherboard and you can skip the steps requiring a (serial/CD) key.

Running-Windows-7-Here-s-What-Windows-10

Edited by rain2reign
Spelling

Yeah I did the same thing... I have 3 of my 4 computers upgraded already. I had been doing the tech preview for awhile before release and I am pretty happy with 10. Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Ive been waiting for my chance to download... Still waiting to be notified.

@Shootter Like i've recommended Donut and i will recommend it to you as well as well. Use the media creation tool. I've lined out a set of instructions, since i've read people failing to get 'activation: Widows 10 is activated' message.. somehow. Refer to this post further up the page.

Edited by rain2reign

Yeah I got it working. However now I'm having issues with my keyboard and touch pad on my laptop going out. Now the touch pad is completely out and I've tried rolling back updates, uninstalling the driver, restarting etc. I guess I'll have to use a mouse in bed now to watch movies :/ I might open it up tomorrow and see if a connection didn't just get loose. Also other problems I encountered; sound didn't function at all until I reinstalled drivers, window colors won't change with the task bar colors, and the notifications keep popping up about my damn firewall which I've turned off notifs but they still keep coming up. Hopefully within the next couple weeks there will be some updates to fix these minor issues.

Yeah I got it working. However now I'm having issues with my keyboard and touch pad on my laptop going out. Now the touch pad is completely out and I've tried rolling back updates, uninstalling the driver, restarting etc. I guess I'll have to use a mouse in bed now to watch movies :/ I might open it up tomorrow and see if a connection didn't just get loose. Also other problems I encountered; sound didn't function at all until I reinstalled drivers, window colors won't change with the task bar colors, and the notifications keep popping up about my damn firewall which I've turned off notifs but they still keep coming up. Hopefully within the next couple weeks there will be some updates to fix these minor issues.

I am very sorry to hear that. I don't use windows 10 on a laptop, so i can't help you with the touchpad(yet). There have been reports of more people having this issue. The majority of the cases were solved by going to your laptops manufacturers page and look for the newest drivers for the touchpad. Should there not be a driver available(up-to-date win10), than contact your manufacturer or it's support section to see if there is a work-around on it. As i don't own a touchpad myself(desktop).. I am of next to no-use in that issue.

I have typed a few things below, in hope that it might serve you well. If you have more question, feel free to ask anytime. :)

Regarding sound and graphics

I think it's best to reinstall both of them. Just to be safe. Some have problems and some don't, unfortunately that is just how windows (*cough* microsoft) is. If you have Nvidia i recommend using DDU to remove the driver and it's leftovers, it's instructions are delivered are there as well.

Windows (task bar) colors

I don't know to what extend you want to have this, but so far as i know windows 10 is only able to do (at least) this much.

1. Click on the windows icon and click on settings
  2. Click on personalization and then select the colors tab

Here you can choose from various options, from which automatically pick a color from my background only picks a MOST used color from the image used on your background(desktop background image) and not an open window nor opened images etc...

The other 2 options, change with the color you picked in from the suggested colors

Optionally there are also high contrast themes (scroll further down the same page) and here you can choose high contrast themes and change their colors. You can do this by click the corresponding colored boxes and pick a color of your choosing. 

this image is only meant to show the options in an example!

19455d1432148535-color-appearance-change

Windows firewall

You should check whether the windows 10 upgrade has not reset your firewall settings (by accident). You can check this in the configuration screen. You can access it by:

1. Right click the windows icon on the bottom left
  2. Select Configurations (screen)
  3. Go to System and Security following Windows Firewall
  4. On the left side of the window should say something along the lines of Change settings for popups.

Edited by rain2reign

@Dragon-Knight

What i always do whenever i install a new OS, or upgrade an existing one, is a (complete) clean install. And i haven't had an issue with drivers of any kind, including Nvidia so far. 

So i did a search of cases such as your Dragon.. and i think i found the problem. The thing is Windows 10 has a default setting, in which Windows 10 downloads and installs things for drivers & devices automatically with the drivers/files on Microsofts database. Which is bad.. very bad.. so bad.. i don't dare to describe it.

First off, what i recommend you to do, is (if it's still possible) to restart your PC in Safe Mode and uninstall Nvidia drivers, in addition delete all related files and folders. I personally use DDU to do that, i recommend it, but it's up to you how you want to do that of course. Afterwards reinstall the latest driver from Nvidia's website itself. 

Second, The Microsoft Update Catalog, isn't functioning properly and yet it's rolled out ... The function that searching, downloads and installs drivers & devices in windows 10 is active by default. In my opinion it couldn't get any worse... Since it's not function properly, it just download and installs the first version it finds, without any regards of whether it is broken or even working.

You can disable that function (what i recommend to do, and did myself) by going through the following path:

Right click windows icon -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Hardware -> Device Installation Settings -> Never install driver software from Windows Update

And if that doesn't, than i am out of answers unfortunately.. Apart from trying what more than 60% of the users on the official Geforce forums are trying, which is rolling back the drivers to a 'older' and last know 'working' driver. Though even that is also a 50/50 chance from what i've read. 

Edited by rain2reign
Text format