Supergirl [TV show]

Alex

They are really pushing out the DC shows! With how awesome Arrow, The Flash and Gotham have been I really, really hope that they don't screw this up. Supergirl, Raven, Black Canary and  Batgirl are my absolute favorite heros so if I see even one of them displayed incorrectly (by too much I mean) I will flip out and dump the media they were tarnished in. However, track record so far gives me hope!

So do you guys plan to give it a shot? Oh, and here's an image Supergirl. Costume looks pretty awesome and so glad it wasn't made with a mini-skirt or the like! :D

sup2.jpg?w=630&cdnnode=1

Premiere date may be around September but I hope that we will get it around August. :)

that's not super girl, that's super woman  

this is super girl (imo)

Screen-Shot-2014-09-10-at-10.56.11-AM-62

and no i'm not talking about the costume, but she ^ would look hot in almost anything buuutt,,

here is a link http://www.fashiongonerogue.com/supergirl-costume-tv-show-2015/

which says that Melissa Benoist (photo below) will play supergirl, but what do i know? the show isn't out yet

melissa-benoist-1349470583.jpg

... really, @VoA seems best for announcements

That is Melissa Benoist in the first photo I posted. :P

And eh, I prefer this Supergirl version. No massive amounts of skin showy or "super (old) sexy" actress to distract away from the show or her being a hero. It is far more realistic with this costume and portrayal as well. Because all of that? It was my biggest complaint with the Smallville Supergirl.

i was hoping it wasn't (sigh) as for the costume i guess i wasn't very clear, "i have no prob with it"

as for smallville, well after the 2nd? 3rd? season i just could not watch it anymore, found it too whiney, and i've forgotten most of what i did watch

I'm all for a Supergirl TV show but imo the actress doesn't really fit, her expression is way to serious for Supergirl.

Did they already announce "which" Supergirl they will base the show on? I'm all for v5 with Batgirl/Stephanie Brown crossovers but no one listens to me anyway.. *g*

I'm all for a Supergirl TV show but imo the actress doesn't really fit, her expression is way to serious for Supergirl.

Did they already announce "which" Supergirl they will base the show on?

@Schatten I believe the girl in the picture is the girl playing 'Supergirl'.

Did they already announce "which" Supergirl they will base the show on? I'm all for v5 with Batgirl/Stephanie Brown crossovers but no one listens to me anyway.. *g*

I wouldn't judge her or the show just yet based on an expression. When Kara puts on the suit and starts saving people, she tends to get serious, especially in the latest adaptation of Kara. Plus in the show she isn't a teenager so her seriousness will have been increased.

It is based off of Kara Zor-El and probably with bits and pieces of character taken from various comics. For example she's probably going to have Kara Zor-El-ish origins but share details of like Linda Danvers  (last name but I doubt the Matrix-Linda story will be used). As it seems with the other DC shows. So it won't exactly follow what we know.

It is quite refreshing to see a female superhero in a, hmmm how to say, more covering suit?

Either way, who really gives a shit about how it looks, it is about the quality of the acting that matters with a lead. If she can deliver, I have no complaints. Hopfully the writing is better than the other current DC live action shows, both of which are pretty terrible.

If there are complaints about her looks or costume, then people will just have to wait for Kara Zor-L to show up the scene.

Speaking of which, I never quite understood how they both had different proportions...

Here is hoping that Daredevil will be better. (Thus sparks the ember of war between the Marvel and DC fans...)

It is quite refreshing to see a female superhero in a, hmmm how to say, more covering suit?

Either way, who really gives a shit about how it looks, it is about the quality of the acting that matters with a lead. If she can deliver, I have no complaints. Hopfully the writing is better than the other current DC live action shows, both of which are pretty terrible.

If there are complaints about her looks or costume, then people will just have to wait for Kara Zor-L to show up the scene.

Speaking of which, I never quite understood how they both had different proportions...

Here is hoping that Daredevil will be better. (Thus sparks the ember of war between the Marvel and DC fans...)

Definitely. I would not have given the show any attention if they started out putting her in this or the versions with the horribly short (short) mini-skirt and mini bra-"shirt".

Terrible? What? Wait...you don't mean Arrow and The Flash, do you? Their writing is near top notch. Gothan and Constantine, not so much, but Arrow and The Flash are some of the best tv shows on right now. I admit they have their moments but every tv show (that isn't Breaking Bad) has its moments.

Alternative world so I guess if Kara had smaller proportions on Earth they'd be bigger on Earth-2? Either way I always found the differences between them physically absolutely ridiculous.

I have found the live adaptations very lacking. Especially with Arrow and Flash, which leave me feeling like I am watching a midday soap opera. I have no beef with Gotham, mainly due to the fact I refuse to watch it, so I no nothing about it. I was spoiled as a child, as I was handed to me a copy of of Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns four piece series, which completely ruined my view of Batman, in that I can see nothing but that version as good.

That is not to say that the Marvel live actions have been any better. They are not bad, but I just can't be bothered watching them. It could be that at the ripe old age of 26 (going on 70) that I am too cynical, I won't deny that as a factor, but I do think that they are also quite lacking. It appears to me that there is too much emphasis on producing content to compete with corperate rivals, than there is to produce quality pieces. I understand that print and TV are two different medias, and both require different aspects so that content work on them. I am just tired of things being diluted when being reqorked into TV, specially since when growing up, there was great TV, all be it mostly cartoons in relation to comics. The Justice League animated series far surpasses any of the current live action shows, and that disappoints me.

Besides all that jazz, I do agree with you on Powergirl. Though I must admit, due to her existance I often get a sore neck after a con, what with all the double takes. Call me a prick, but I find it best to be honest. Though character wise, I always found her more interesting than her smaller, original version. The relationship she had with Kal and Louis, her almost blind fury when entering combat and almost fierce independant nature, as compared to Supergirl, who possesses some fo those qualities, yes, but just not quite the same as Powergirl. I will be honest, she is a character that is easy on the eye, but I can really appreciate when the character of a character is developed well. I think Powergirl simply had the advantage of being created after Supergirl, so was created in a much more interesting manner. That all aside, I am interested to see what they do with this interation of Supergirl, hopefully it will be bloody brilliant.

Has there been any hints on side cast?

I have found the live adaptations very lacking. Especially with Arrow and Flash, which leave me feeling like I am watching a midday soap opera. I have no beef with Gotham, mainly due to the fact I refuse to watch it, so I no nothing about it. I was spoiled as a child, as I was handed to me a copy of of Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns four piece series, which completely ruined my view of Batman, in that I can see nothing but that version as good.

That is not to say that the Marvel live actions have been any better. They are not bad, but I just can't be bothered watching them. It could be that at the ripe old age of 26 (going on 70) that I am too cynical, I won't deny that as a factor, but I do think that they are also quite lacking. It appears to me that there is too much emphasis on producing content to compete with corperate rivals, than there is to produce quality pieces. I understand that print and TV are two different medias, and both require different aspects so that content work on them. I am just tired of things being diluted when being reqorked into TV, specially since when growing up, there was great TV, all be it mostly cartoons in relation to comics. The Justice League animated series far surpasses any of the current live action shows, and that disappoints me.

Besides all that jazz, I do agree with you on Powergirl. Though I must admit, due to her existance I often get a sore neck after a con, what with all the double takes. Call me a prick, but I find it best to be honest. Though character wise, I always found her more interesting than her smaller, original version. The relationship she had with Kal and Louis, her almost blind fury when entering combat and almost fierce independant nature, as compared to Supergirl, who possesses some fo those qualities, yes, but just not quite the same as Powergirl. I will be honest, she is a character that is easy on the eye, but I can really appreciate when the character of a character is developed well. I think Powergirl simply had the advantage of being created after Supergirl, so was created in a much more interesting manner. That all aside, I am interested to see what they do with this interation of Supergirl, hopefully it will be bloody brilliant.

Has there been any hints on side cast?

Justice League and Justice League: Unlimited were, in my eyes, masterpieces! Not just as a comic adaptation but as an overall TV series. I never liked a cartoon half as much until Young Justice appeared (and got axed early). God I miss those shows...

I felt like Arrow started off as feeling like a soap opera show (I watched them so I knew what was what) too but around episode 7 I believe it started to loosen up a bit on that SO drama. Though for a while Laurel continues on like a drama queen 90% of the time while the rest of the show progresses very nicely. In comparison to The Flash it definitely has more character drama.

You know I have yet to read that Batman. I can't find it anywhere locally, but one day I will see why so many find it to be the best Batman comic/Batman version to date.

And nah, you are right. Some of the shows are lacking, especially in content. For example (I love Agents) in Agents of S.h.i.e.l.d there just feels like a  big chunk of something bigger is missing, like they have written something far more vital into the show but refuse to show us what that is. Season 1 was horrendously slow, until episode 9, but the pace it set seems to be a pace it really can't outrun as season 2 hasn't really outgrown all of the problems S1 faced. And my biggest complaint with Arrow is that not enough of it feels like it is story or characters from Green Arrow's life, like when they say "based on X" it really feels like they loosely based it on the source material.

But overall I find the shows to be extremely refreshing, not just as a (DC) comics fan but as someone who has been waiting for a decent TV show to appear since Star Trek: Voyager or Firefly.  :lol:

edit

Oh, as for cast, so far we have Supergirl and Dean Cain and Helen Slater as her foster parents. No news on who will be playing her foster sister Alexandra but I'll post news when it arrives, promise. :)

And like I mentioned above, the origin story will not be identical to what we have in the comics. It has been altered, I suppose, to appeal more towards non-comic fans as well. Apparently she escaped Krypton when she was twelve and was adopted by the Danvers and has decided at the age 24 to use her powers as a superhero.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I just saw Melissa on Glee this week (just started season 4) and really liked her. I hereby officially withdraw my objection! ; )

I haven't seen her act yet but The Flash's Grant Gustin wasn't particularly good in Glee but then he showed his true talent in Arrow. So I'm taking your new opinion as an extra good thing for Supergirl. :)

Much better choice for supergirl would be Katheryn from the tv series "VIKINGS" ...

BRpb4saCIAAEBmx.jpgNE9XSbNpjlUcd9_1_b.jpg

I do very much like her and her acting but I don't know, she doesn't feel like Supergirl to me. She seems to old and mature.

That said I certainly wouldn't have minded if they went with her instead, but I would prefer someone could looks like they could play Kara.

• 1 month later...

So...I'm just gonna leave this here and see what your input is guys.

I hate it, sorry but I do, it's like they are trying to mix "The Hills" "Hipsters" with Comic book hero's....it's just eeeeewwwwww cringe. They are for sure aiming for a much younger audience....plus they changed the story for the general masses a lot...comes across very cheesy as well.

I do not like who they picked either, much stronger actresses out there. The acting and lines are terrible.

My eyes and ears are burning, I feel traumatized after watching that video....

I hate it, sorry but I do, it's like they are trying to mix "The Hills" "Hipsters" with Comic book hero's....it's just eeeeewwwwww cringe. They are for sure aiming for a much younger audience....plus they changed the story for the general masses a lot...comes across very cheesy as well.

I do not like who they picked either, much stronger actresses out there. The acting and lines are terrible.

My eyes and ears are burning, I feel traumatized after watching that video....

Sadly I feel the same. I pressed the play button and could not help but think of the SNL Black Widow movie spoof:

The secondhand embarrassment almost killed me...

I don't mind cheesy, I don't mind bad CGI...what I do mind is what they are turning Supergirl into. It didn't feel like a hero show at all. Five minutes of the first look made it just look like some woman working at a journal (fashion?) empire. I thought maybe I had clicked the wrong link and this wasn't Supergirl. As for the acting, she isn't the problem, it is the people behind the show. An actor can only do so good if the people directing them are good at their job.

If it had stayed on CW I'm sure it would have been good. Now I'm sure it will crash and burn...and I so wanted Supergirl to succeed. I hope this first look is just making the show look horrible that this is the wrong "first look" and they release another that's the actual first look. Please DC and CBS, don't do this to our first female comic tv show. :(

As long as they don't muck it up.  Thats the last thing we need, another Marvel female role that flops.  I like the costume very much, especially the rougher texture to it and the very conservative top.  Things on TV have been getting way to ridiculous these days.  If people want something different from their female actresses, well, watch just about any other show out there.   ;)

Of course, I don't have a TV and don't have any plans to get one...so...I'll probably never watch.

As long as they don't muck it up.  Thats the last thing we need, another Marvel female role that flops.  I like the costume very much, especially the rougher texture to it and the very conservative top.  Things on TV have been getting way to ridiculous these days.  If people want something different from their female actresses, well, watch just about any other show out there.   ;)

Of course, I don't have a TV and don't have any plans to get one...so...I'll probably never watch.

Supergirl is DC. :)

Wow, no tv? Well, you probably aren't going to miss anything. The first look trailer at the end of the first page reveals a lot about the show and that isn't good. :(

I really did dig the costume, too. So far Constantine (though the first episode was cool) and Supergirl have been the victims of DC LA failures.

Sad day that their trailer is no good.  Oh well...DC was always the weaker of the two giants.  I never really liked their perfect heroes.  

I mean...what is Clark Kent's personal flaw?  That he sometimes embellishes a little too much on an article for the paper?  lol...I troll jest...

through means not worthy mentioning I watched the Supergirl pilot.

Initial comments: I find it really strange now that they did not first make a Superman tv show. It seems far more logical to start off that way but whatever. As for the filming and sets, I can totally tell it is a CBS show just by the lighting. haha (this isn't a problem, so don't take it as one).  

My thoughts:

The acting actually isn't bad, just cheesy. I don't mind this, because comics are cheesy as shtako. Anyways, I actually found Kara pretty adorable. She's not overly girly despite her image disagreeing with that, she's a bit nerdy and still a girl (no hard core anti-male messages thank God) but thankfully it isn't a "I want to be a model" type of girly. Thank you CBS for not pulling that BS on me. I would have preferred some Sameen Shaw like agreesion in some of her fight scenes but that's just because I am in love with Sameen Shaw xD

Pacing:

It was pretty fast. At first, it wasn't, but as soon as she left the office the pacing started moving like the Scarlet Speedster. We just get thrown into her sister relationship with Alex literally through an open door. Ten minutes into the show she's saving people from a plane crash. And then she's making capes and costumes with her friend and fighting crime within half the show.

I really hope the series doesn't follow this quick pace through the rest of it, because it won't work if it does. I don't know why they didn't just follow a The Flash-Arrow pace for the pilot episode, because they were to be honest, the best paces for a show like this.

Contradictory Statements:

Sometimes when Kara says she can or can't do, she later says she knows she can (just sometimes she says she hasn't done it in a while). Hopefully I guess this makes the stupid "alley way discovery for her powers" better, since that isn't so.

CGI:

Incredibly well made, and I mean it, really, really good! But this is CBS so I don't think that was ever to be questioned. That logo/intro needs to change asap though.

Acting:

As previously mentioned, it isn't as bad as the trailer made it out to be. I'm not going to lie to  you and say they don't have room for improvement, because clearly this is something they seriously need to work. The worst of the acting comes from future Toyman and when Kara is flying/doing stunts (always for flying, sometimes for like fight scenes) because it is OVER THE TOP. Like I wanted to scream "It is over 9000!". They need to tone it down and tuck in the loose strings.

Music:

Very Superman/Supergirl (when it isn't music ripped from reality, but created for the show). I approve.

Also, obligatory mention: how can ANYONE see her face as Supergirl and NOT make the connection? Do the glasses really fool people? I guess I shouldn't complain...the comics seem to think so too. :rolleyes:

Overall this isn't a pilot like The Flash or Arrow where we knew at start it was going to be a fun ride. I did find the pilot decent with room for improvement most notably in pace (I find it personally to be the worst part about the show so far). I think by the third episode we will know whether this show has a future or not.

If you guys watched it, please share your thoughts. I am extremely interested to know what people think after watching the pilot and comparing it to what they thought from the lousy trailer.

Though I urge you all to actually give the show a chance; don't let the trailer completely persuade you to be biased. :)